GM To Offer 5-year 60K Warranty or 6-Year 70K Depending Upon Brands - But At A Price

Gorehamj

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, SnakeEyeSS said:

This is a bunch of BS. They used to offer 100k powertrain back when they thought their vehicles would last that long. And yeah, the Koreans already do this IN the US. Maybe we can at least get a few more "Real People" to react to this for TV ads. :lol:

Seriously?!?!  This post got zero response? Lord people have short memories. A once upon a time standard. This is going backward and all it took was time for people to forget so that they now pay for what they should expect as REASONABLE. 

What's average? $50K. I do 36,000 miles a year. Is GM telling us we need to hand them our bank book cart blanc once a year? 

Well SnakeEye...I for one remember quite well. 

Listen to yourselves. People whose parents are not old enough to remember the 60's offer 'proof' that 100K was the limit for power trains then are now willing to accept the risk of 1/3 that distance at twenty times the price. :lol:

On 10/15/2018 at 8:22 PM, pronstar said:

The competition offering it “at no added cost” is the key statement.

It’s not free, it’s just baked into the price of the car, so it’s invisible to consumers.

I dunno if it’s better or worse to do it the way GM is headed.

At the end of the day, warranties are a marketing cost and I guess the bean counters figure they’ll make more money this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Now you're going to get flamed by the "I got _________________ for free" crowd.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 8:16 AM, rkj__ said:

Oh, hello there!

It's not often that you see someone on here from this close.. There have been a few but not that common. 

On 10/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, colonel00 said:

A couple things that maybe I'm missing, is this only on a new purchase of a 2019?  I bought my '18 around 5 months ago and would have at least considered it if it was available depending on price.  

I'm still a bit confused on what they are offering too.  Is it 5 years/60K miles on top of the 3 years/36K miles for a total of 8 years/96K miles of warranty?  Or are they just adding on 2 years/24K miles onto the existing bumper to bumper warranty?

Every extended warranty I’ve ever bought when stating, as an example 5 years/60K miles means the warrant has been extend to these numbers.  In other words you’ll be purchasing an additional two years and an additional 24K miles.  Btw, over time I’ve become a believer in extended warranties as labor and parts have become so expensive.  Btw #2;  their price appears fairly competitive, maybe a little high.  However, I’ve always been able to negotiate and the deal ship has always been willing as a closer on the sale.  Remains to be seen whether a little horse trading will be allowed on the GM package.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:41 PM, rkj__ said:

Another interesting point that Autoblog's Article highlights, is that this may have an impact on dealership profit.  The dealership can make a lot of profit selling extras, like third party extended warranties. 

Possibly, but maybe dealers have better deals with third party warranties. Hence this might just help dealerships that do not have such

A GM spokesperson called into the long running Saturday AM auto repair radio show I listen to to talk about this "exciting" new thing.  I called into the show to voice my anger/frustration that this was not something that was standard and how stupid it is that we have to pay extra for something that should come standard.  Seems a few agreed with me on that. 

GM, if you want to win customers and loyalty- you gotta build something and stand behind it without ripping the consumer off.  You gotta stand out.  And for the right reasons.  A 5 Year/100,000 mile power train warranty would be fair and generous for your trucks IF you are building as great of quality of trucks as you claim you are.  Stand behind your product. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Colossus said:

A GM spokesperson called into the long running Saturday AM auto repair radio show I listen to to talk about this "exciting" new thing.  I called into the show to voice my anger/frustration that this was not something that was standard and how stupid it is that we have to pay extra for something that should come standard.  Seems a few agreed with me on that. 

GM, if you want to win customers and loyalty- you gotta build something and stand behind it without ripping the consumer off.  You gotta stand out.  And for the right reasons.  A 5 Year/100,000 mile power train warranty would be fair and generous for your trucks IF you are building as great of quality of trucks as you claim you are.  Stand behind your product. 

Was that Likas? I used to listen to that, and called in once about the bailout, and he quickly ended the call. He said "how GM has repaid the loan so quickly" and I called to correct him that they only made a payment, not the whole loan. He had been talking to a GM exec about how great GM was that they repayed it. I guess my comment wasn't going to go over well with who writes the checks.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, Rico387 said:

My reply to the OP was just about warranties, but since you brought up sales figures... GM produced more trucks in the first two weeks of December of 2016 than Nissan sold all year. I don't know much about a "tweener", as you call it. I assume you meant the Titan XD. Only Nissan thinks it understands the need for a 5/8 ton truck. I guess they were going for of the "Heavy Half" that GM tried in the 70's.

That being said, in the last two years, I needed two trucks and I bought both, a 2017 Titan 1/2 ton gas and a 2018 Silverado Z71. Here are some thoughts; I'm not quoting from ads or internet videos or chatroom fans. I have no loyalty to an auto manufacturer like they were family. The irony here is for the guy wants to be patriotic, and buy American. My Silverado was built in Mexico. My Nissan Titan was built in Tennessee.

The Chevy is not more capable, doesn't handle better, and is no where near as well equipped as the Titan. The Silverado is a terrific LS engine with an acceptable truck attached. The 5.3 in the Silverado gets 20 mpg, the Titan gets 13 mpg. The Titan has 30 more horsepower, but the Silverado is a little faster. Chevy's sound system is far superior, but Titan has an excellent 360 degree camera Chevy wants me to pay extra for things like cargo area lighting, a driver side grab handle and lots of other things. Oh, and the back seat passengers don't swelter in the Titan because it has rear vents.

This wasn't meant to be a comparison because GM expects people to buy whatever they build. And apparently, we do. They ain't worried about Nissan. I hear Chevy threw it's customers a few bones with the new truck and added some features that others have had for years. One area where they out did Nissan - the new truck is even uglier than the Titan.

That about sums it up....The Silverado actually has a LT motor and well if you think the LS's were "terrific"  these are far superior my friend.  

23 hours ago, SnakeEyeSS said:

Was that Likas? I used to listen to that, and called in once about the bailout, and he quickly ended the call. He said "how GM has repaid the loan so quickly" and I called to correct him that they only made a payment, not the whole loan. He had been talking to a GM exec about how great GM was that they repayed it. I guess my comment wasn't going to go over well with who writes the checks.

Nope completely different show. 

I have been a GM fan all my life.  I just recently traded my new body style 16 Malibu for a VW Passat.  I drive for work and the warranty pushed me to VW.  Not overly enthused with my 17 Silverado either.  Too many issues that GM keeps putting off until the warranty is out.

It's just business folks...

I'm glad to see this myself.  I've always purchased an extended warranty, so having a direct GM provided does appeal.  If nothing else it might make the 3rd party warranties more competitive.

The reason I always purchase the extended is that I own my trucks for more than 5 years (shortest was 5, longest was 10) so having the extra help on possible issues is always a plus.  And, I'd never purchase a vehicle based on a warranty.  I prefer to purchase based on what vehicle fits me best.  To date, GM has done that.  Though the competition is heating up...