GM To Offer 5-year 60K Warranty or 6-Year 70K Depending Upon Brands - But At A Price

Gorehamj

A couple things that maybe I'm missing, is this only on a new purchase of a 2019?  I bought my '18 around 5 months ago and would have at least considered it if it was available depending on price.  

I'm still a bit confused on what they are offering too.  Is it 5 years/60K miles on top of the 3 years/36K miles for a total of 8 years/96K miles of warranty?  Or are they just adding on 2 years/24K miles onto the existing bumper to bumper warranty?

30 minutes ago, colonel00 said:

A couple things that maybe I'm missing, is this only on a new purchase of a 2019?  I bought my '18 around 5 months ago and would have at least considered it if it was available depending on price.  

I'm still a bit confused on what they are offering too.  Is it 5 years/60K miles on top of the 3 years/36K miles for a total of 8 years/96K miles of warranty?  Or are they just adding on 2 years/24K miles onto the existing bumper to bumper warranty?

I'd like to know the same. Only available in new purchase? Can't add it before 3 year 36k expires?

It's definitely just adding another 2 years 24k miles.

I'd like to know the same. Only available in new purchase? Can't add it before 3 year 36k expires?

It's definitely just adding another 2 years 24k miles.
That's pretty week then. I can get an extended bumper to bumper warranty through a credit union up to 100K for a comparable cost.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, newdude said:

Just to clarify:https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/oct/1015-cca.html

Its an extension to the factory B2B warranty.  This I think would actually be a first as they state. 

Eh, I got 7 year 80k mile HondaCare for $900. And that includes rental car and trip interruption reimbursement. The only things it doesn't cover is basically what GM doesn't(tires, brakes, battery, wipers). This is just a new spin on factory backed extended warranty, probably only difference is they won't contract it out to an outside company.

This is a bunch of BS. They used to offer 100k powertrain back when they thought their vehicles would last that long. And yeah, the Koreans already do this IN the US. Maybe we can at least get a few more "Real People" to react to this for TV ads. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The competition offering it “at no added cost” is the key statement.

It’s not free, it’s just baked into the price of the car, so it’s invisible to consumers.

I dunno if it’s better or worse to do it the way GM is headed.

At the end of the day, warranties are a marketing cost and I guess the bean counters figure they’ll make more money this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

40 minutes ago, DougFL said:

Don't see the benefit.  If you shop around you can purchase a 100K mile, $0  deductible GM platinum extended warranty for what they are offering for a 60K warranty!

The factory bumper to bumper covers a lot more than the GM ext warranty.  Belts, hoses, bulbs, batteries, rattles, trim pieces, corrosion and more are not covered by GM extended warranty. 

6 hours ago, Rico387 said:

Nissan Titan has a 5 year, bumper to bumper warranty. No extra charge.

Lol........they sell what 3K-5k a month?  I have a 1/2 ton that is more capable than the "TWEENER" plus I get 20mpg's  Yeah...I know GM sucks....

10 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

The factory bumper to bumper covers a lot more than the GM ext warranty.  Belts, hoses, bulbs, batteries, rattles, trim pieces, corrosion and more are not covered by GM extended warranty. 

Hoses are specifically excluded and bulbs, batteries, rattles, trim pieces are limited to 12 months or 7500 miles with the standard warranty.  I doubt their enhanced warranty will extend those items, but anything is possible!

20 hours ago, Gorehamj said:

Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac Protection,

If I'm reading that correctly, that Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac Protection is and already has been sold by GM dealers for a few years.  The dealers no longer offer GMPP and replaced it with "Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac Protection" years ago.  It's nothing more than an extended warranty that is being pushed very hard. 

18 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Lol........they sell what 3K-5k a month?  I have a 1/2 ton that is more capable than the "TWEENER" plus I get 20mpg's  Yeah...I know GM sucks....

My reply to the OP was just about warranties, but since you brought up sales figures... GM produced more trucks in the first two weeks of December of 2016 than Nissan sold all year. I don't know much about a "tweener", as you call it. I assume you meant the Titan XD. Only Nissan thinks it understands the need for a 5/8 ton truck. I guess they were going for of the "Heavy Half" that GM tried in the 70's.

That being said, in the last two years, I needed two trucks and I bought both, a 2017 Titan 1/2 ton gas and a 2018 Silverado Z71. Here are some thoughts; I'm not quoting from ads or internet videos or chatroom fans. I have no loyalty to an auto manufacturer like they were family. The irony here is for the guy wants to be patriotic, and buy American. My Silverado was built in Mexico. My Nissan Titan was built in Tennessee.

The Chevy is not more capable, doesn't handle better, and is no where near as well equipped as the Titan. The Silverado is a terrific LS engine with an acceptable truck attached. The 5.3 in the Silverado gets 20 mpg, the Titan gets 13 mpg. The Titan has 30 more horsepower, but the Silverado is a little faster. Chevy's sound system is far superior, but Titan has an excellent 360 degree camera Chevy wants me to pay extra for things like cargo area lighting, a driver side grab handle and lots of other things. Oh, and the back seat passengers don't swelter in the Titan because it has rear vents.

This wasn't meant to be a comparison because GM expects people to buy whatever they build. And apparently, we do. They ain't worried about Nissan. I hear Chevy threw it's customers a few bones with the new truck and added some features that others have had for years. One area where they out did Nissan - the new truck is even uglier than the Titan.

Edited by Rico387
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, rkj__ said:

I grew up loving GM vehicles before I even knew what a warranty was.  I'll admit I was biased by my father's influence, as he is a GM employee.  So, I've been pretty pro-GM all my life.  I could not understand why some people hate the brand so much.  But, the more automotive news and GM truck forums I read, the more I understand how one might form a negative view on the brand. 

Offering less than your competition is not ground breaking, General. 

I am and always have been pro GM as well but that doesn't mean that I can't find fault with the brand as did my father. By the way hello from St. Catharines. :thumbs: