Service Brake Assist - 148 miles into driving

As the subject states - had the unfortunate experience of being 1 day into ownership, 148 miles when braking at a red light the Brakes seized and warning comes on to service the Brake Assist.

I loved the truck, but man, sure puts a dampen on your mood after putting 10 grand down less than 24 hours prior.

Edited by Sfahey87

Greetings all. Just got my 19 SLT this week and after a couple of hundred miles I get the dreaded “service brake assist” message. Is this going to a software update or is there more to it. I’ve seen several other posts, all low mileage. Seems unlikely there’s a hardware failure this soon on numerous vehicles. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it works out better for ya'll than my 14 Sierra. I have gotten Service Stabilitrac and Brake assist since 300 miles. Was told if not on can't do anything about it. Stop by when it comes on but it always clears within a few (10 Miles) plus even if I ever made it to a dealer like they could get someone out to it while it was in is a long shot. I just live with it and hope one day is does not clear and I will bring my 300 mile service receipt plus a few others from later dates and hope they honor it but I won't have my hopes up.

Yotaman

On 12/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, Sfahey87 said:

As the subject states - had the unfortunate experience of being 1 day into ownership, 148 miles when braking at a red light the Brakes seized and warning comes on to service the Brake Assist.

I loved the truck, but man, sure puts a dampen on your mood after putting 10 grand down less than 24 hours prior.

This is the first year GM is using ZF's new Integrated Brake Control unit. The brakes in your truck aren't boosted by a mechanical vacuum pump like the previous K2 trucks were. There will be a bug or two related to the new ZF IBC setup I'm sure. It sucks man. Automakers are rushing a lot of new tech into their vehicles every year and we all pay the price for wanting the latest and greatest stuff.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology/gm-plans-vacuum-free-braking-next-gen-trucks-sources-say

Edited by HondaHawkGT

On 12/21/2018 at 9:59 PM, Sfahey87 said:

Hi, Sean. I’m sorry to hear about this brake situation, especially so early into your ownership. Please keep us updated via private message, we’re looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Anthony J.

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, GMCustomerService said:

Hi, Sean. I’m sorry to hear about this brake situation, especially so early into your ownership. Please keep us updated via private message, we’re looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Anthony J.

Anthony J,

Since I have a old truck and not expecting any sort of help as GM couldn't when it was newer, I would like to know what exactly do you GM reps do on this forum ? Why have someone PM you for a update ? Why not you share what you know about the issues brought up as maybe the fix will apply to a lot of other owners too ? If your sole reason is to make a appointment at a dealer then I think most owners can handle that part ? Not trying to be smart but I always wondered the true intent of what you guys do cause I don't recall ever seeing a solution to a problem addressed by your team.

Thanks,

Yotaman

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We appreciate your honest feedback, Yotaman. As we are the Social Media Customer Care Team, we primarily address vehicle concerns, bring them to the attention of the dealership and assist with scheduling service visits for diagnosis. We also assist with request for information such as: parts, build sheets, etc. We request that our customers send a private message because we discourage sharing personal information publicly, per our social media policy. Also, each customer’s situation is handled on a case by case basis. I hope this helps.

Anthony J.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Same problems on a 2019 Denali Sierra 1500. Service break assist and shit breaks. Cam in and they said there’s a recall and upgraded software. A few days later the same thing happened. Now they’re changing the brake module or booster. I’ll get the paperwork later. Hope this does it. 2600 miles

• 4 months later...

There is no reason why today’s electronics heavy vehicles can’t record every instance an indicator lights up on the instrument cluster signaling a malfunction/fault.

GM simply chooses to not incorporate this logic into their software.  It’s more economical for GM to simply tell you, “sorry, unable to duplicate”

Works out well for GM when you total your truck and innocent people get killed.  As the lawsuits start to pile up for faulty braking and steering issues, GM lawyers will simply say, “prove it”