Rear Compressor Runs Excessively 2018 Yukon XL Denali

Has anyone had a rear compressor issue with a new Yukon XL Denali? My wife and I bought the vehicle at the beginning of October 2018 and within a month the rear compressor began running excessively.  We took it into the dealership with bought it from and the service rep heard the noise but was unable to reproduce it later in the day with the technician so they sent us away with the vehicle. The noise became more and more regular so we took it to a dealership near our house and they heard it and acknowledged the problem, this lead them to replacing the rear compressor.

The change of the rear compressor didn't do the trick and the excessive running persisted, this is where the frustration really set in. The service technicians were going to run diagnostics and service the vehicle after we brought it in MLK Day. The service department manager interrupted the process and essentially tried to bully my wife into accepting the fact that this is normal behavior for a GMC Denali line vehicle. She left the dealership in tears. I called the service manager in disagreement with 1) his treatment of my wife and 2) disputing the fact this is normal. His response was the discharge the video with a bogus report emphasize the vehicle was in intended working condition. Now the Denali is sitting at another dealership while they try to replicate the issue. It occurs 30-40% of the trips we take in the vehicle and the rear compressor will run anywhere from a few seconds to 20 minutes. Has anyone else had this issue and found a resolution? I'm to the point I'm almost willing to just sell the vehicle back for a loss to be rid of it.

Edited by AgFan08
Video Link

Are the bags inflating properly? With it running that much I would assume the rear ride quality is terrible. I would start with checking for leaks. You should also try finding a new dealer to help you. A good Chevy or Cadillac dealer could help you too since it's under warranty and they both have systems in their respective trucks. Someone on here also mentioned contacting the GM field rep for help. Maybe they will chime in with advice. 

I would also request that the compressor be replaced again. That one seems way too loud. 

I haven't checked the bag levels but if the current dealership doesn't find the problem that is something I'll have to do.  We haven't noticed any drop in ride quality in the back (not that I've set back there often but our daughters haven't said anything), the main issue is the excessive noise which in the cabin gets loud enough to drown out music.

The current dealership hasn't heard it other than the first trip there with the old rear compressor, it was the dealership near our home where the service manager basically put his foot down that this is a normal noise for a Denali (there is no way that rear compressor is running normally) where they actually had heard the vehicle experiencing the issue.

I think I'll have to reach out to the regional GM rep but was going to wait on what the second dealership said. He's going to look up the historic work orders and see that service manager's report that the vehicle is fine which really irritates me with how he behaved. I feel like I'm up against dealerships who care more about keeping GM happy than about fixing a vehicle with an issue. Very frustrating.

It's hard to say for certain without having heard it in person, but my experience having owned a couple Yukon XL Denali's is that the compressor rarely runs, and if it does you hardly notice it when driving especially with music playing. It is even hard to notice at a stop light with no radio. Ride quality would be noticeably more firm for even front seat driver/passenger when the bags are heavily inflated.

The bags should always be firm if you squeeze them with your hand, but shouldn't be rock hard if you don't have a trailer/loaded cargo area. With how much your compressor runs I would expect the rear ride height to be high as well (cat in heat).   

Thanks for the information, I'll definitely check the bags when I get the vehicle back. Hopefully the current dealership identifies the issue, but the first day they had it they only took it on a 5 mile drive and didn't encounter the problem from what they told me. I'll check the bags with the technician at pickup if necessary.

Sorry you're having trouble. I've only ever heard the compressor run in mine once, and that was right after I had loaded some heavy **** in the trunk. It's definitely NOT NORMAL for the compressor to be running 20 freaking minutes at a time. I agree that you probably have a leak somewhere. This is my first GM car also, but from all that I've read around these forums, GM service departments are not the best. :rolleyes: Best of luck getting it sorted.

Appreciate it, the second dealership said they couldn't replicate it so it has to become constant before they'll do anything. Right now they are saying it's a "customer satisfaction" issue and the vehicle is fine. Pretty poor service by GM to say the least, but I've got another 30 months or 31,000 miles while it's under full warranty so there is that at least. I'm going to start compiling more footage and documenting it every time it does it, hopefully a pattern will emerge or I'll figure out some way to trigger it so I can get it fixed. The service departments I've dealt with definitely have a high burden of proof and beyond driving it, don't really want to put in much effort to figure it out.

On my 2012 the auto-level shocks, a similar noise turned out to be the air compressor hose had come detached from the compressor or the shock. Once I reconnected it, and got the lock spring/clamp to seat properly, it disappeared until the hole compressor went bad (over 40k miles).

Not sure about the 2018s, but just look for a plastic tube coming from the side of the rear shock. Follow that back and check each joint to see if they are tight.

You might also narrow it down by checking if the noise if coming from teh compressor. It should be mounted behind the driver side rear wheel, up on the fender. Looks like a potable air compressor wrapped ina  rubber cage/box. If that's where the noise is coming from, its either bad, or there is a loose connection and it runs until it can hold enough pressure temporarily. 

image.png.3c525f4c307a87d3fd774592c5385b6e.png

image.png.90cc95f4807f8dc7302115bd40843257.png 

Edited by ftwhite

6 hours ago, AgFan08 said:

Appreciate it, the second dealership said they couldn't replicate it so it has to become constant before they'll do anything. Right now they are saying it's a "customer satisfaction" issue and the vehicle is fine. Pretty poor service by GM to say the least, but I've got another 30 months or 31,000 miles while it's under full warranty so there is that at least. I'm going to start compiling more footage and documenting it every time it does it, hopefully a pattern will emerge or I'll figure out some way to trigger it so I can get it fixed. The service departments I've dealt with definitely have a high burden of proof and beyond driving it, don't really want to put in much effort to figure it out.

Open a claim with GM, let them know how unhappy you are, and let them know how you are being treated by the service managers (personally, if my wife came home in tears, I would have driven there and punched the service manager in the head). Don't threaten them with a demand to buy back the rig, or Lemon laws, just be firm and demand that you as a customer of GM are not happy and that you feel like you are being treated like crap! And, want your really expensive vehicle fixed so it functions normally.

Edited by JimCost2014

There's no way that can be normal noise level.  Almost as loud as the dual compressors I have in the toolbox of my truck.  Good luck with the dealership.  You can contact GMC corporate or whatever they're calling themselves and they'll open up a case.  I'm in the process of this now so I can't tell you if it will help or not, but it creates another paper trail.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, ftwhite said:

On my 2012 the auto-level shocks, a similar noise turned out to be the air compressor hose had come detached from the compressor or the shock. Once I reconnected it, and got the lock spring/clamp to seat properly, it disappeared until the hole compressor went bad (over 40k miles).

Not sure about the 2018s, but just look for a plastic tube coming from the side of the rear shock. Follow that back and check each joint to see if they are tight.

You might also narrow it down by checking if the noise if coming from teh compressor. It should be mounted behind the driver side rear wheel, up on the fender. Looks like a potable air compressor wrapped ina  rubber cage/box. If that's where the noise is coming from, its either bad, or there is a loose connection and it runs until it can hold enough pressure temporarily. 

image.png.3c525f4c307a87d3fd774592c5385b6e.png

image.png.90cc95f4807f8dc7302115bd40843257.png 

I will definitely give this a look. I'm inclined to think it is a hosing connection issue because it is most common when the temperature is cold (below 40 degrees Fahrenheit or so). I assume that's because once materials start contracting the issue is becoming evident / amplified. A good look over the hoses will hopefully identify the issue and I can do this simple fix. Here's to hoping!

21 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Open a claim with GM, let them know how unhappy you are, and let them know how you are being treated by the service managers (personally, if my wife came home in tears, I would have driven there and punched the service manager in the head). Don't threaten them with a demand to buy back the rig, or Lemon laws, just be firm and demand that you as a customer of GM are not happy and that you feel like you are being treated like crap! And, want your really expensive vehicle fixed so it functions normally.

I opened a claim with GM this past Tuesday. I need to call and follow up on it. Good advice, thanks!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

There's no way that can be normal noise level.  Almost as loud as the dual compressors I have in the toolbox of my truck.  Good luck with the dealership.  You can contact GMC corporate or whatever they're calling themselves and they'll open up a case.  I'm in the process of this now so I can't tell you if it will help or not, but it creates another paper trail.

I posted the work order along with a link to the video as a review on the dealership's website. Maybe that will get some sort of response, because as you stated and the video makes clear, that is not a normal noise level. I've never had a GM before but I'm starting to learn this is par for the course when it comes to warranty issues and getting them taken care of. Pretty much have to be persistent and in it for the long haul. Good luck with your case as well.