Is GM Considering An Electric Pickup?

Gorehamj

15 hours ago, Colossus said:

That's the thing-  it will NEVER be affordable in the ways like it was in the past.  Always expect to pay a big price tag for something people really want and "must" have.  

Good point on affordable. Have not heard Ford mention price on neither one . 

As interesting as this sounds, There are several issues with EVs that people are running into.. For example, when it gets extremely cold, EVs have a shorter range,  Just like when it gets cold and that new battery in your car struggles to crank your  engine... Same principle.  Another issues I see with an EV truck is limited range, especially when you are going to use a trailer.   I think a better solution might be like the Chevy Volt, where it runs kind of like a locomotive, have a small gasoline engine that runs and charges batteries.    They really should have started with a small SUV instead of a car for the Volt Project... 

I still think truck owners would prefer a strong hybrid.  Gotta have backup power sometimes.  If it turns out all-electric, I can see aftermarket gas engine installations in the bed for additional utility out of the truck.  No power to wheels from gas, but backup power for occasions that requires that extra effort.  Truck owners have never been about small efforts.

They can't even built things they've been building for over a century correctly  ... and they expect us to buy this NEW technology from them?

BWAHAHAHAHAA!! :lol: No thanks GM!  

Edited by Jsdirt

I’m up for anything as long as the warranty will back it up. As far as electric only. Until the power plants aren’t using fossil fuels what’s the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, okfoz said:

...it runs kind of like a locomotive, have a small gasoline engine that runs and charges batteries.

I'm all for diesel electric plants as used in the aforementioned locomotives and aboard ships and submarines.  The problem with such a plant is weight.  I thought it would be great for a big rig on long hauls but weight limits prohibit their development and use.  In an automobile, the engine, generator, motors and battery will weigh much more than a simple engine and transmission. 

Our ancestors did this over a hundred years ago.  Wasn't very practical then, still not today. (all electric)

• Like 2