Gorehamj

Is GM Considering An Electric Pickup?

bolt charging 696.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-26-2019

A new story in the publication Detroit Bureau has EV advocates and those looking for a headling concluding that GM is planning to build an EV pickup. In response to an inquiry about EV pickups, Duncan Aldred, the vice president of the GMC brand, said, "Certainly, it’s something we’re considering." This and other small clues have some in the industry concluding, “They wouldn’t be saying this if they weren’t really confident about doing it, They are moving beyond hybrids…and want to be at the forefront of battery-electric technology.”

This is in contrast to a statement by Mike Ableson, General Motors Vice President Global Strategy, who said this past November, "The core business is going to be the core business for a couple of decades to come. There will not be any AV/EV pickups.”

What's our take? Based on the emerging culture of showing any EV prototype off as a "launch" years, or even decades before the vehicle is ready to be sold, we feel that once GM decides to build an EV pickup we will see a concept of it at a trade show. Then start your two to five-year countdown on when limited production will arrive.  

They got no choice I believe with Ford in and game on for the 150. They say get ready for some real ball busting torque too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pickmeup said:

They got no choice I believe with Ford in and game on for the 150. They say get ready for some real ball busting torque too.

I agree with that, I would have a different opinion if EV tech was new.  GM will probably sit back and see what kind of success this tech has in a PU.  We all know though, when you're late to the game, you don't play.  But I don't play GM for being stupid, they probably have a small EV tech division paying attention.

Edited by The Zip

Great News as long as they plan on selling it at an affordable price.

Years ago GM had a Hybrid Tahoe that was around 70K

Tesla prices are not affordable to the average truck buyer.

Just ask Elon Musk about his recent round of layoffs.

• Like 1

They weren't but now they get play catch up... "Hey so are we!" but consumers moved on to the innovators rather than the imitators.

Everyone talks about "oh it will be a torque monster!"  Yeah electric motors can do that.  But again- you will be limited to the constraints of what a flimsy 1/2 truck can handle.  Just because you can pull a 20,000 pound load doesn't mean you can safely and properly tow a 20,000 pound load. 

• Like 1

Empty, the truck would have a range of 100-200 miles.  I bet that would get cut in half with a load in the bed and even more pulling a load.  Unless you can pull over every 50 miles and re-charge for a couple of hours, it makes great sense.  NOT!

Give me the biggest NA V8 I can buy, take your iPhone truck and kick rocks. 

Build one that has a range of 400 miles, then I'd be interested.

Build one that has a range of 400 miles, then I'd be interested.

When is GM going to learn that the hipsters who buy this tech are all, and i say that with complete confidence, NOT GM FANS nor will they ever be imo!

Just look at the Volt as a perfect example, better in everyway imo vs. a Prius and almost as cheap considering government incentives mixed with gm ones and yet the Toyota has a huge following and fanbase and GM has just killed the volt line because no one is buying them. I don't think there's anything they can make in this area of the market that will change people's perception and really they have no one but themselves to blame for it at this point.

I mean i get needing to go along with the times and tech, but at what point does a almost guaranteed failure come into play because GM's success rate with this tech is non existent at this point. Millions in r&d to make  a decent product which no one wants to buy is not a recipe for success imo! 

• Thanks 1

The industry is being "forced" into this direction by the environmentalist/extreme liberal wackos  and unless there is a big push back to say we don't want this stuff, it's going to happen, like it or not. 

• Like 5

I am older but appreciate change.  I don't consider myself a liberal wacko and wold love to own a truck from the 50's and 60's.  When I was working in the trades, I always preferred the strength and dependability of corded power tools.   If I showed up on the jobsite with a cord dangling from my drill today, I'd surely get some abuse from my fellow workers!  When/if GM introduces an electric pickup, I'm confident it will have the range and power required by the average consumer.  I also see an opportunity for options or aftermarket accessories to increase range for those requiring higher than average time between charges.  I am excited about seeing an affordable electric pickup.  Gas/diesel engines have served us well  but if reliable,  cleaner, more efficient motors become available, I will gladly give up my gasser!

On 1/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Great News as long as they plan on selling it at an affordable price.

Years ago GM had a Hybrid Tahoe that was around 70K

Tesla prices are not affordable to the average truck buyer.

Just ask Elon Musk about his recent round of layoffs.

Give it a few years, 70k isn't far now. There is just a Sonic difference now

I would be interested, but they are heavy now, to get range for actual truck use would need a serious cell count, that would cut into the capabilities. And that huge stack of batteries won't be cheap either. I think we are going to need some super capacitors!

Of course in the real world most trucks are barely used for their capabilities, so just stick the bolt powertrain under a Silverado body and plenty of people won't know a difference. 

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

On 2/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, Donstar said:

I am excited about seeing an affordable electric pickup. 

That's the thing-  it will NEVER be affordable in the ways like it was in the past.  Always expect to pay a big price tag for something people really want and "must" have.