Duramax not starting

• 1 month later...

Apparently there is a TSB out about this related to the need to re-program a module in the steering column. If not done in time the module needs to be replaced. Just read about this on another forum. A camper was stranded when he went to start his new truck to hitch up and go home and it failed to start. Ended up being towed to a dealer for replacement of the module - the only  difference is his batteries were drained.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I have a 2017 Silverado 2500 HD duramax diesel; this JUST happened to us the first time this am...Got a strong boost and it started. But now worried as we are in BC, in the mountains, about to be without cell signal, and it’s Saturday so no service is open until Monday anywhere close to here. I’ve had the truck in for service before leaving in late June, oil change/filter change on the road, front rotors and brakes replaced a couple of weeks ago and then one more service right after due to steering  wheel shaking, repeating sound from front left tire area, still happening after brakes fixed; and also to check a ‘slipping’ or uneven/jerky gear switch that has happened quite a few times. I was told they checked everything, also felt steering wheel shake and heard noise. Took off tires and rotated and balanced; returned truck saying bearings are fine and nothing mechanically wrong with truck. 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:54 PM, Flyingwhiskey said:

2017 Duramax get back in after driving it will not start turn the key dash lights come on but will not start (no click) takes about an hour then it will start has left me stranded six times since last summer. GM can’t find anything wrong (no codes) they return it does it again very frustrating. Anyone heard of this ?

On 3/17/2019 at 10:24 PM, Flyingwhiskey said:

All ready done the Video showed them they weren’t to interested. Battery’s are fine because it does start after sitting. The trouble is GM won’t throw parts at it because they don’t get paid for them unless they can prove a problem with said part. I might get my Lawyer to send GM a letter explaining the liability I almost froze to death one night when it wouldn’t start had to go into a store to warm up. 

I would get a case started with GM.  Then leave the truck at the dealer, and have them attempt to start it multiple times a day for a week or until it acts up.  A no start should be able to be diagnosed with or without codes.  Did the dealer hook up their GR8 battery tester like they are supposed to?  Also, there are plenty of bulletins they can pursue for connectors with poor terminal tension to inspect, broken wire areas, poor ground areas.    

On 6/20/2020 at 9:21 PM, bkpubman said:

2020 2500HD AT4. Mine has happened 3x and the last time it would not start so I had it towed to the dealer and of course it started once there. The 2nd time I was able to start it in neutral and drove it to the dealer. No codes have been active either time. When it is happening I cant start it with the FOB either and I have tried both FOBs, but since it goes through the whole process except for turning over I assume its not a FOB issue. Also when trying to use the FOB I can hear the fuel pump prime and a couple of other noises from under the hood but again no cranking over. Mechanics have mine now again and hoping to replicate but no luck so far. They wondered if it could be related to the glow plugs or something, but its 90+ here and its only happened in the past couple of months so its been warm. Supposedly my dealer has opened a case with the GM department that deals with issues known & unknown. When they try to give it back this time Im going to discuss options for GM buying it back because if they cant find an issue and it resets before the tow truck gets there its BS. I do have it on video but it shows nothing there are no lights, codes etc. This sucks having a very expensive POS that may strand me at any moment. 

Your 2020 is a whole different animal to the 2015-2019 HD.  Try searching the 2020 HD section as this has been talked about there.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/240-2020-silverado-hd-sierra-hd/