Catch Can Skeptic

7 minutes ago, paracutin said:

I believe every time I mentioned a mod and warranty I said "if your mod caused the problem...".  I never once suggested that (using your example) a tune should invalidate a power seat issue.  Not once.  I agree with you there.  Warranty claims unrelated to the mod should be honored.

Show everyone reading this a controlled study that supports your conclusions and I will fully support them.  Until then, it is just opinion.  Ours happen to differ and that's just how it's going to be in this case. 

Everyone thought the earth was flat until it was proven otherwise.

Have a great weekend!

I asked u a question. Explain to me how you think it’s bad or not beneficial to collect blow by vapors and condensation prior to entering the intake?  It’s a simple question. 

And there are plenty of people that still think the earth is flat Incase you haven’t been keeping up on current events. Me not being one of them

1 minute ago, '17 Sierra said:

A tune and a catch can are on different sides of the world. A tune will allow the engine to exceed its specified operating parameters. A catch can is for preventive maintenance.

The catch can changes the specified operating parameters of the PCV system.

I am not and never have said that catch cans are bad and don't work.  I, like the OP, simply ask for proof.  Not hearsay.  Proof.  Empirical, scientific data.  Something easy to do if a company wanted to spend the money.  However, that expenditure would have to be offset by increased sales to justify the study.  My guess is that the manufacturers are unsure of the results that will be found or they don't believe it will increase sales enough to pay for itself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

I asked u a question. Explain to me how you think it’s bad or not beneficial to collect blow by vapors and condensation prior to entering the intake?  It’s a simple question. 

I never said it was bad or not beneficial.    

Let's assume it is beneficial.  To what extent is it beneficial?  10% reduction in carbon buildup on the intake valves?  90%?  Now, how many miles do you plan on keeping your vehicle?  <50k?  >100k?  Until the wheels fall off?  At what point does the buildup of carbon start to effect performance to the point that it is even noticeable?  To the point it causes other problems?
A freaking controlled study would solve all of these problems.  Again I say... Show me the PROOF!

The only way to get proof, is someone needs to buy 2 of the same trucks, put a catch can on one, leave the other one stock. Drive both the same amount and the same way, put 20,000+ miles on both, then pull the intakes off and take a look at the valves. Until then, it's a pissing match and the thread/s blow up and people get pissed off either way. 

Shrug...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Lord....every single time Catch cans get discussed on here the same exact points are raised. I happen to agree with @Jacoby that they work. It doesn’t matter to me one bit if you don’t want to run one or not, it’s your truck, do as you please. If someone asks I’ll give an opinion, as for what the OP asked for, I stated as far as I know a K2 specific study does not exist. Doesn’t matter to me because like I said...don’t need to rub poison oak all over my face to know I’m gonna start itching soon. Damn man we even have Pro-catch can people arguing about WHERE to mount them. There is no winning on this topic and there never will be. The fact that Toyota and Ford both use a dual injector system and that GM has developed an internal system that dumps back into the crank case should tell you something. I’m not gonna tell you to buy one, I don’t sell them. But in a good faith attempt at trying to give the best advise AS I BELIEVE, then I’m going to recommend using one. 

Edited by SS502
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, paracutin said:

I never said it was bad or not beneficial.    

Let's assume it is beneficial.  To what extent is it beneficial?  10% reduction in carbon buildup on the intake valves?  90%?  Now, how many miles do you plan on keeping your vehicle?  <50k?  >100k?  Until the wheels fall off?  At what point does the buildup of carbon start to effect performance to the point that it is even noticeable?  To the point it causes other problems?
A freaking controlled study would solve all of these problems.  Again I say... Show me the PROOF!

I’d say 10% is beneficial lol. It’s just common sense dude. Unfortunately I don’t have two trucks to run a test on. I have my truck and my ctsv and both have catch cans. I sleep better at night knowing I have them

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 5:08 PM, SS502 said:

Emptied my RXP dual catch can...this is at 650 miles. I’ve posted the 100, 400 and now 650 miles. This is a total, I have been keeping a running total. 

04C95CC5-7756-4D80-A422-6D07474E1D4C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Question for the catch can faithful, how much oil do you add to the engine over the course of a 3000-5000 mile oil change interval?

None, I rely on my magical oil producing 6.2 L86 to keep me within tolerance! That’s why there is a range on the dipstick. Even if my can didn’t catch it, it was gonna get sucked up and burnt anyway. Common sense will tell you that with or without a can, your oil level is gonna drop between oil changes...it’s up to you to identify an abnormally high consumption rate. Why do you have to add oil?? The whole point is to “catch” the stuff. It’s not a measuring tool to identify oil consumption.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SS502 said:

None, I rely on my magical oil producing 6.2 L86 to keep me within tolerance! That’s why there is a range on the dipstick. Even if my can didn’t catch it, it was gonna get sucked up and burnt anyway. Common sense will tell you that with or without a can, your oil level is gonna drop between oil changes...it’s up to you to identify an abnormally high consumption rate. Why do you have to add oil?? The whole point is to “catch” the stuff. It’s not a measuring tool to identify oil consumption.

Question has nothing to do with consumption. Question was asking how much oil do you add, meaning how much oil is accumulating in the can? "Common Sense" would be if it is catching a substantial amount (say a quart or more, remember, the majority of us without them are idiots) it would be a good investment, 1/4 of a quart, don't see the point.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Question for the catch can faithful, how much oil do you add to the engine over the course of a 3000-5000 mile oil change interval?

None. Unless that low oil indicator pops up I don’t add anything. It’s never popped up

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jacoby said:

None. Unless that low oil indicator pops up I don’t add anything. It’s never popped up

Sorry, was not clear with my question, how much total oil in the catch can between oil changes, oil that does not filter back into the engine and needs to be replaced to bring the level to full?

6 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Sorry, was not clear with my question, how much total oil in the catch can between oil changes, oil that does not filter back into the engine and needs to be replaced to bring the level to full?

Guys are collecting a few ounces maybe a little more between changes. That’s hardly enough to top off with fresh oil 

Why not just check your oil level every week and see for yourself how much is if any is needed to be added, not everyone’s motor burns off the same amount oil as the other and SS502 has a 6.2 same as mine.

Sent from above

Just now, TXGREEK said:

Why not just check your oil level every week and see for yourself how much is if any is needed to be added, not everyone’s motor burns off the same amount oil as the other and SS502 has a 6.2 same as mine.

Sent from above

Question was meant to be how much oil does the catch can system "catch" between changes, nothing to do with consumption. If you are only removing "ounces"  between changes, I personally do not see the benefits. These engines run at almost a boiling temperature, and GM designs theirs to recirculate all spent gases and oil right back into the engine, but everyone attacks the engine engineers for designing something poorly because it does not look/function like theirs?

The debates just keep getting more fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

90% of what is in the catch can is not oil.......

• Like 1