In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
CSI-WALLEYE

Catch Can Skeptic

From a catch can to smoking thread.

What's next? diet?

What ever my can catches and keeps from going into my motor even though it's not a GDI motor is a good thing IMO.

I don't need a test, the proof is when I empty the can.

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

From a catch can to smoking thread.

What's next? diet?

What ever my can catches and keeps from going into my motor even though it's not a GDI motor is a good thing IMO.

I don't need a test, the proof is when I empty the can.

:)

Is that too simple or what? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Is that too simple or what? 

Quite possibly.

• Like 1

Don't get mad at me?  I don't care where you live Cold/Hot....Your can is 90% liquid water at the very most 10% oil?  Most likely 5-8%

I don't need to see your pyrex container anymore either..........we have seen quite enough of that already.  

Actually, climate has lots to do with it as those living in colder conditions do seem to collect a more diluted mixture of oil mixed with condensation. I applaud SS502 for even taking the time to show all of us the proof that this “OILY” substance captured before re-entering the air induction. Imagine what you see in the pan was not captured by the catch can but was sucked into the air induction, not being burned off but causing carbon buildup as it gunks up the valves etc.
I don’t have a catch can, mainly cause I don’t feel like dealing with emptying it and cause I don’t keep vehicles long enough to actually give a crap but I am loving my GMC. Meanwhile, I’m using fuel treatments as well as the best oil in the market (Amsoil) along with best oil filters in hopes to avoiding a dirty engine. I’m having my vehicle professionally cleaned if and when it’s time to do so. I’m always intrigued with the findings members like SS502 have provided us all while on their dime and time.

Sent from above
  • Like 1

I surely don't want to die from lung cancer so I just added a second catch can in series to be safer!  Whew!

100_0479.jpg

• Like 1

Are those air compressor filters?  If so great idea. 

• Like 1

Yes, but modified somewhat for better filtration without clogging.

Works better than the high-priced spread and WAY cheaper.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

Yes, but modified somewhat for better filtration without clogging.

Works better than the high-priced spread and WAY cheaper.

Much cheaper and not in a bad way. Member @flyingfool made his own too. In my mind, it’s the objective not the way you get there. No matter which way anyone goes, it still beats sitting in a Prius wishing you had a truck :D

Great to see the topic is back on ...... topic

I would think there are way more 14-18 's without cans then with them, with well over 100,000 miles. Like others have said if you wanna put one on put one on. If you dont then dont. I dont think it matters either way. 

14 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Actually, climate has lots to do with it as those living in colder conditions do seem to collect a more diluted mixture of oil mixed with condensation. I applaud SS502 for even taking the time to show all of us the proof that this “OILY” substance captured before re-entering the air induction. Imagine what you see in the pan was not captured by the catch can but was sucked into the air induction, not being burned off but causing carbon buildup as it gunks up the valves etc.
I don’t have a catch can, mainly cause I don’t feel like dealing with emptying it and cause I don’t keep vehicles long enough to actually give a crap but I am loving my GMC. Meanwhile, I’m using fuel treatments as well as the best oil in the market (Amsoil) along with best oil filters in hopes to avoiding a dirty engine. I’m having my vehicle professionally cleaned if and when it’s time to do so. I’m always intrigued with the findings members like SS502 have provided us all while on their dime and time.

Sent from above

Actually, What you see from cold and hot climates is different appearances .  Nothing more the percentage of oil in the can is same at the very.very,very most 10%  The rest is liquid and byproducts!

1 hour ago, 15 Z71 said:

I would think there are way more 14-18 's without cans then with them, with well over 100,000 miles. Like others have said if you wanna put one on put one on. If you dont then dont. I dont think it matters either way. 

I'm sure you are correct there. I'd be willing to bet that only 2% of all 14-18 trucks even have a catch can. Almost 4.5 million trucks have been sold since 2014. I doubt if 100,000 trucks have catch cans .

Just a guess but I bet I'm pretty close.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 3

This is why I’m just gonna opt out of Pro vs Con on these things lol...it’s like any Mod we choose to do, do it if ya like it :thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'm sure you are correct there. I'd be willing to bet that only 2% of all 14-18 trucks even have a catch can. Almost 4.5 million trucks have been sold since 2014. I doubt if 100,000 trucks have catch cans .

Just a guess but I bet I'm pretty close.

It’s not because they’re not beneficial. It’s because the other 4.4 million probably don’t know what a catch can even is. I bet over a million of those truck owners have never even thrown anything in the bed. This very forum is full of people that turn their trucks into badass rock crawling mud bogging trucks and never even get em dirty. What is that about lol. 

• Like 2