Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
CSI-WALLEYE

Catch Can Skeptic

Recommended Posts

From a catch can to smoking thread.

What's next? diet?

What ever my can catches and keeps from going into my motor even though it's not a GDI motor is a good thing IMO.

I don't need a test, the proof is when I empty the can.

:)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

From a catch can to smoking thread.

What's next? diet?

What ever my can catches and keeps from going into my motor even though it's not a GDI motor is a good thing IMO.

I don't need a test, the proof is when I empty the can.

:)

 Is that too simple or what? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

 Is that too simple or what? 

Quite possibly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't get mad at me?  I don't care where you live Cold/Hot....Your can is 90% liquid water at the very most 10% oil?  Most likely 5-8%
 
I don't need to see your pyrex container anymore either..........we have seen quite enough of that already.  


Actually, climate has lots to do with it as those living in colder conditions do seem to collect a more diluted mixture of oil mixed with condensation. I applaud SS502 for even taking the time to show all of us the proof that this “OILY” substance captured before re-entering the air induction. Imagine what you see in the pan was not captured by the catch can but was sucked into the air induction, not being burned off but causing carbon buildup as it gunks up the valves etc.
I don’t have a catch can, mainly cause I don’t feel like dealing with emptying it and cause I don’t keep vehicles long enough to actually give a crap but I am loving my GMC. Meanwhile, I’m using fuel treatments as well as the best oil in the market (Amsoil) along with best oil filters in hopes to avoiding a dirty engine. I’m having my vehicle professionally cleaned if and when it’s time to do so. I’m always intrigued with the findings members like SS502 have provided us all while on their dime and time.



Sent from above
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I surely don't want to die from lung cancer so I just added a second catch can in series to be safer!  Whew!

 

100_0479.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those air compressor filters?  If so great idea. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but modified somewhat for better filtration without clogging.

Works better than the high-priced spread and WAY cheaper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

Yes, but modified somewhat for better filtration without clogging.

Works better than the high-priced spread and WAY cheaper.

Much cheaper and not in a bad way. Member @flyingfool made his own too. In my mind, it’s the objective not the way you get there. No matter which way anyone goes, it still beats sitting in a Prius wishing you had a truck :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see the topic is back on ...... topic

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think there are way more 14-18 's without cans then with them, with well over 100,000 miles. Like others have said if you wanna put one on put one on. If you dont then dont. I dont think it matters either way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

 


Actually, climate has lots to do with it as those living in colder conditions do seem to collect a more diluted mixture of oil mixed with condensation. I applaud SS502 for even taking the time to show all of us the proof that this “OILY” substance captured before re-entering the air induction. Imagine what you see in the pan was not captured by the catch can but was sucked into the air induction, not being burned off but causing carbon buildup as it gunks up the valves etc.
I don’t have a catch can, mainly cause I don’t feel like dealing with emptying it and cause I don’t keep vehicles long enough to actually give a crap but I am loving my GMC. Meanwhile, I’m using fuel treatments as well as the best oil in the market (Amsoil) along with best oil filters in hopes to avoiding a dirty engine. I’m having my vehicle professionally cleaned if and when it’s time to do so. I’m always intrigued with the findings members like SS502 have provided us all while on their dime and time.



Sent from above

 

Actually, What you see from cold and hot climates is different appearances .  Nothing more the percentage of oil in the can is same at the very.very,very most 10%  The rest is liquid and byproducts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 15 Z71 said:

I would think there are way more 14-18 's without cans then with them, with well over 100,000 miles. Like others have said if you wanna put one on put one on. If you dont then dont. I dont think it matters either way. 

I'm sure you are correct there. I'd be willing to bet that only 2% of all 14-18 trucks even have a catch can. Almost 4.5 million trucks have been sold since 2014. I doubt if 100,000 trucks have catch cans .

Just a guess but I bet I'm pretty close.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I’m just gonna opt out of Pro vs Con on these things lol...it’s like any Mod we choose to do, do it if ya like it :thumbs:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'm sure you are correct there. I'd be willing to bet that only 2% of all 14-18 trucks even have a catch can. Almost 4.5 million trucks have been sold since 2014. I doubt if 100,000 trucks have catch cans .

Just a guess but I bet I'm pretty close.

It’s not because they’re not beneficial. It’s because the other 4.4 million probably don’t know what a catch can even is. I bet over a million of those truck owners have never even thrown anything in the bed. This very forum is full of people that turn their trucks into badass rock crawling mud bogging trucks and never even get em dirty. What is that about lol. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By 2017Sierra1500
      Wondering if anyone has done a pcv delete and run a breather style setup on an l83/l86 engine?
       
      Seen it done on older ls stuff and guys talk about a much smoother idle.
       
      Recently had a cam swap done and looking to keep intake and valves clean lol.
    • By CrazyZ01
      Finally broke down and bought an Elite Engineering catch can.  After some research, I got over the worries of installing one and warranty issues. For GDI engines I think these are a must have.  I would rate my engine as ‘severe duty’ for this application as my commute is very short, 3 miles to a Park & Ride to catch a bus.  I live in MN so it’s cold in the winter, most days the engine does not fully warm up.  I took pics of the back side of the throttle body, not filthy, but dirtier than I expected. I cleaned it up and plan to do again at every other oil change.  The intake was wet with oil/moisture, looks like a lot, but I’d guess it’s about a tablespoon or 2.  With the 6.2 the PCV vents on the front side, covienent for cleaning purposes, would expect it to be somewhat cleaner further back in the intake. I did not do a clean side separator as I don’t do WOT much, might regret it later, but intake tubes were clean and dry so should be good there.  I re-used the GM PCV connectors, ordered a replacement PCV vent hose in case I need to go back to OEM. Looks sharp and I have an east swap solution.  While I was there installed an AirRaid Jr kit, I like the flow better with filter and intake tube.  It’s almost worth it to keep the oil change guys from always showing you your ‘dirty air filter’ 😱 Overall easy install and a fun Saturday project.  I highly recommend a catch can for any GDI engines, eventually the valves will get dirty and need to be cleaned, I don’t think a catch can will eliminated this, but I think it will makes those cleanings fewer and father bewtween!



    • By Coleman71
      I just bought a 2017 GMC SLT with the 6.2L and 8 Spd. It had 8700 miles on it. It will idle a little rough at idle momentarily. I only run premium gas, is that normal for the 6.2L? I've installed a Magnaflow 12909 muffler w/o flapper valve and an AFM Momentum CAI. Also, since I've had it, it has a tick that is heard when your standing next to it, or in a drive thru with the window down. Is that normal? After reading on here I'm worried about the afm lifters causing it. I plan on getting a Hypertec programmer so I can change the afm to 70mph and adjust the shifting so it's less clunky. I also will be installing an Elite Engineering EX-2 catch can kit. Will these additions help with the common afm issues? To make it more reliable in the long run? Anyone with experience or knowledge please educate me on this, thank you

    • By beerpilot
      Just got a new 2018 Sierra with more bells and whistles than I've ever seen in a truck before.  Sure learning a lot on these forums.
       
      The catch can thing has my interest, I never even knew that was a problem, never had a direct injection vehicle before.
       
      I'm looking under the hood on this thing and although it is difficult to see much it looks like there are two PCV valves, assuming that's what I think I'm seeing.  They are right up front of the engine, one each side, with short tubes going into the intake air plenum.  See attached photo of the front left side of the engine.
       
      So question #1, are two PCVs what I am seeing?
       
      Question #2, if so then I need either two catch cans, or one that does double duty, right?
       
      I'm a little confident that the answers to my questions will be yes (still appreciate confirmation though) and if so this will be a plumbing nightmare.  This truck has the eAssist which means the only open space for a can is the front left corner where the battery used to be, on eAssist it's up in the back right corner of the engine bay.  And, there is no room at all left in that part of the engine bay, it is packed.
       
      So I guess question #3 is, anyone come up with a creative way of solving this problem, besides hoses all across the top of the engine?
       
      Thanks in advance for responses.

    • By CH15GMC
      I have an Elite standard catch can for sale, black in color. Need new hoses but has the L bracket.
       
      $100 plus shipping.
       
       
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    221,312
    Total Topics
    2,371,437
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    208,887
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    STERN TRANSPORT
    Newest Member
    STERN TRANSPORT
    Joined
  • Who's Online   104 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2,457 Guests (See full list)



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.