I’m new to this so be gentle. 2015 Silverado 2500 has the white LED mirror lights that turn on with the cargo switch. How do I get them to come on in reverse? Can the dealer update bcm module and problem solved or am I out of luck? Also wondering about the remote roll down and up of the windows by the key remote

Press the switch to turn the cargo lamp on or off. An indicator light will turn on when the lamp is turned on, if equipped.

The shift lever must be in P (Park) to operate the cargo lamp. The lights on the outside rear view mirrors turn on if the shift lever is in R (Reverse), N (Neutral), or P (Park). 

(so if cargo lamp button is on AND its in R/N/P  the mirror lights should work.)

Window remote control is DOWN only.

If equipped with auto mirror folding, pressing and holding'unlock' for one second will unfold the mirrors.
The auto mirror folding feature will not operate unless it is enabled.
See Vehicle Personalization on page 5-46.

On some models, press, release and then press and hold 'unlock' to open all of the windows.

Pressing the button again will stop the windows

Yes, there is a method to have the mirror lights illuminate while in reverse.  It requires using a diode to jump between two connections in the BCM.  If you search on the forum you will find it. Very easy to do. 

You don't even need to use a diode to get the lights to come on in reverse.

By adding a single wire to the BCM under the dash on the driver's side (at least in the 2016 and 2018 HD trucks) you can get the side mirror cargo lights to turn on whenever the truck is in reverse (when the truck is running) or the cargo light switch is turned on (when the truck is turned off).

You need to run a wire from pin connector 26 on the Brown BCM block to pin connector 26 on the Pink BCM block (see picture).

Following are some pictures of the amount of light put out with this mod.

Wiring Modification 1 (Medium).jpg

20180801_210035 (Medium).jpg

20180801_210054 (Medium).jpg

20180801_210107 (Medium).jpg

20180801_210117 (Medium).jpg

The problem I have is where I have to park, the mirror lights shine right in my neighbors windows every time I unlock my truck. I work weird hours and unfortunately I like my neighbors. Is it possible to add a separate switch to that mod to be able to turn them off and on when needed

9 hours ago, Weezy said:

The problem I have is where I have to park, the mirror lights shine right in my neighbors windows every time I unlock my truck. I work weird hours and unfortunately I like my neighbors. Is it possible to add a separate switch to that mod to be able to turn them off and on when needed

if there isnt a separate switch, your only way to fix it may be to park the opposite way you are now..if at all possible.

I added switches to turn the functionality on/off for "lights on in mirror when in reverse" and "fogs on with high beams".  Here's the wiring diagram (click on the "Truck Wiring.pdf" right above the picture below) and a picture of where I placed the switches.

In Pennsylvania, when they do your annual state inspection they check to make sure the fog lights go off when the high beams are on.  So, having the switch makes life a lot easier.

As to the comment regarding the diode, I would recommend using one.  Otherwise, you may inadvertently energize the backup light relay when the cargo lamp switch is turned on.  

Truck Wiring.pdf

IMG_0358.jpeg

Edited by paauto

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2019 at 12:10 AM, Weezy said:

I have the same issue so I just fold my mirrors in when I park. 

I had the same issue, wanted the LEDs in the mirror to activate automatically when putting the truck in reverse, but didn't want to get blinded in the face when I unlocked the truck at night.

My solution was to install a relay. The relay is energized when the truck is running, deactivated when the truck is off. The coil on the relay is wired to terminal on the fuse block that changes the cigarette lighter plugs from batt to acc mode.

The "jumper" between the white and brown plugs on the BCM are wired back to the relay to make/break the jumper.

Truck is on - mirror LEDs follow the backup lights and/or cargo light switch

Truck is off - mirror LEDs only follow the cargo light switch.

• 3 years later...
On 8/6/2019 at 7:56 PM, ESMD said:

I had the same issue, wanted the LEDs in the mirror to activate automatically when putting the truck in reverse, but didn't want to get blinded in the face when I unlocked the truck at night.

My solution was to install a relay. The relay is energized when the truck is running, deactivated when the truck is off. The coil on the relay is wired to terminal on the fuse block that changes the cigarette lighter plugs from batt to acc mode.

The "jumper" between the white and brown plugs on the BCM are wired back to the relay to make/break the jumper.

Truck is on - mirror LEDs follow the backup lights and/or cargo light switch

Truck is off - mirror LEDs only follow the cargo light switch.

Can I get the info on the relay you used and a diagram of how you wired it up please? That seems like the ultimate solution to doing it right!