I think I made a mistake with 2020 Sierra

Let me start this topic with a disclaimer, that's there's nothing really WRONG with my new AT4 Carbon pro but there is a big list of annoying quirks that irritate me more and more each drive...

Things I like:

1) Auto 4WD, last truck didn't have, and I missed it from previous one.

2) Quiet, I had a Roush F150 and family hated riding in it. New GMC is silent comparatively.

Things that annoy me...that I didn't know about before buying...

1) Have to turn seat heaters on each time I start truck.  If it knows to do it w remote start by outside temp, why can't it do upon starting???

2) Have to turn heated steering wheel on each time I start truck.  See above

3) Have to turn foglights on every time headlights come on.  

4) Had SERVICE 4WD light come on at 250 miles, disappeared before I could get it to dealer.  May be nothing, but now it's in my head.

5) 24gallon gas tank??? Really??? It's a 6.2 L getting 14 mpg, so every 300 miles I have to stop for gas?  WTF

6) Governor at 98MPH.  I realize governors have a purpose but at 98???

7) Carbon Pro bed which initially I thought would be novel has turned into a headache.  Tonneau cover options are limited, and the texture is too smooth, everything slides around back there.

8)The channel surf button on left side of steering wheel won't follow preset buttons, it will occasionally start scrolling through whatever channels it wants, vs my presets.

9) Sport mode does next to nothing.  At least let it run up to redline instead of shifting whenever it feels like.

10) Auto stop is a pain. Last truck, if I put it in sport mode then auto stop would be shut off.  I know I can push button, but it's still annoying.

I'm 2 weeks in, and I hope there won't be more to add to this list!

Just stupid little things that irritate but that you wouldn't necessarily know about until you've lived with the truck for a few weeks.

I'm not one to keep trucks more than 18 months, but this one will be a challenge to keep that long...

funny_ghost_face_animated_avatar_100x100_65459_zps6da1501f.gif.86bdbb4615ddd42091e9648defe95a4a.gif

There are some things I don't like about some of the things we own, not just vehicles.

Just bought a new Honda for the wife.

Reliability is more important.

:) 

1. When I remote start my '18, I can tell the seats have been on as they're super warm. Of course they're not on after I put the key in and turn the truck on, but they've been running, I can tell. I'd be surprised if they changed that behavior for '20.

2. Heated steering wheel, I guess you have me there. But it only takes 10 seconds to warm up, so net zero issue for me.

3. You got me there, same issue here. Not really a big issue, but something I've gotten used to turning on when I start the truck and it's dark out.

4. Got me there too. I can see how it would make you anxious, but if it hasn't come back you should be alright. By the by you drive around in 2WD mode and not Auto 4WD, right?

5. That's GM truck life for you. It's an average sized tank for a truck this size. FWIW, I get better gas mileage in my '18 Denali with 6.2L than I got in my Chevy SS 6M, and CTS-V Wagon. And the Chevy had a "big" gas tank at just under 18 gallons. CTS-V had a tiny gas tank in comparison. So I went from filling up more than once per week to once per ~2 weeks.

6. Yeah that's sucky. But why are you needing to go over 100MPH in a truck?

7. Yeah that sucks too, but for what it's worth with the GM sprayed in liner stuff still slides around in my bed as well. I have bungie cords that I use on the hooks at the rear of the bed by the hooks to keep things in place when I need them to be.

8. I have no answer to this, but is there a mode that it is switching between when you're scrolling stations? Is this behavior mentioned at all in the manual? Something you can bring up to the service dept. if it's not normal and found in the manual.

9. Well, again it's a truck, I wouldn't expect this behavior in a truck unless it were a Raptor.

10. Yep, auto-stop can suck. But you're living in 2020, and the manufacturers need to try to eke out as much MPG as they can in their vehicles now. Count yourself lucky you can still get a 6.2L V8 in a truck in 2020.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Extractor said:

Let me start this topic with a disclaimer, that's there's nothing really WRONG with my new AT4 Carbon pro but there is a big list of annoying quirks that irritate me more and more each drive...

Things I like:

2) Quiet, I had a Roush F150 and family hated riding in it. New GMC is silent comparatively.

1) Have to turn seat heaters on each time I start truck.  If it knows to do it w remote start by outside temp, why can't it do upon starting???

4) Had SERVICE 4WD light come on at 250 miles, disappeared before I could get it to dealer.  May be nothing, but now it's in my head.

5) 24gallon gas tank??? Really??? It's a 6.2 L getting 14 mpg, so every 300 miles I have to stop for gas?  WTF

7) Carbon Pro bed which initially I thought would be novel has turned into a headache.  Tonneau cover options are limited, and the texture is too smooth, everything slides around back there.

8)The channel surf button on left side of steering wheel won't follow preset buttons, it will occasionally start scrolling through whatever channels it wants, vs my presets.

9) Sport mode does next to nothing.  At least let it run up to redline instead of shifting whenever it feels like.

10) Auto stop is a pain. Last truck, if I put it in sport mode then auto stop would be shut off.  I know I can push button, but it's still annoying.

Just stupid little things that irritate but that you wouldn't necessarily know about until you've lived with the truck for a few weeks.

I'm not one to keep trucks more than 18 months, but this one will be a challenge to keep that long...

I feel these are both more of a safety feature built in. Because having it remember or stay "on" when the truck starts back up could create a high chance of a glitch and then it malfunctions, stays on and could possibly cause a fire when the truck is off. Also, the power draw from it being kept on from previous start up/shut off and maybe the added wear n tear on it. I can understand if previous vehicles had the ability it can be annoying not. In all honesty its pretty easy to do such once you get in and start it. I wouldnt let it ruin your impressions of the truck they're beautiful. 

The 24 gal tank, that blows my mind as well....my fathers 03' has 26 gal...so why downsize to the 24 in my 19 is mind blowing. For millage sake, highway road trips in the 5.3 i was able to squeeze out 415 miles to the tank with a few hours of town/slow driving mixed in. The rest being 80mph highway. 

For covers, I'm not sure if GMC offers an oem one...chevy does and the only reason I even considered a cover was the fact I got it for $100...but the quality was good and over did the job. Just an option.

Auto start/stop...yes can be super annoying in traffic, but also its growing on me when Im sitting at long lights...I can see the benefit, just not sure yet on the long term wear n tear on the components. 

I do usually run in 2WD but if its really raining or there's slush/snow I use the Auto 4WD mode.

As for going 98... I tried passing a semi that was being a left lane Nazi...It doesn't take much to reach 98 in trucks nowadays when you step on it. 

I haven't researched it but what are the 1/4 mile times and speeds for these?  Would be silly if it shuts off before the 1/4 mile was done...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Extractor said:

I do usually run in 2WD but if its really raining or there's slush/snow I use the Auto 4WD mode.

As for going 98... I tried passing a semi that was being a left lane Nazi...It doesn't take much to reach 98 in trucks nowadays when you step on it. 

I haven't researched it but what are the 1/4 mile times and speeds for these?  Would be silly if it shuts off before the 1/4 mile was done...

I do the same. Good I was just making sure as that's the best way to make sure everything lives longer and to get better mileage.

And I know on the generation that my '18 is from there's different governor limits for different drivetrain combos. Probably same here.

Either way, it can be resolved with a tune. Probably the same with your shifting complaints.

As for the smaller tank complaint from @BlackRST, different generations of vehicle. Probably isn't as much room for a bigger tank on these newer trucks. But they also get MPG than the older trucks as well due to AFM and 8 or 10 speed autos.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slizzo said:

I do the same. Good I was just making sure as that's the best way to make sure everything lives longer and to get better mileage.

And I know on the generation that my '18 is from there's different governor limits for different drivetrain combos. Probably same here.

Either way, it can be resolved with a tune. Probably the same with your shifting complaints.

As for the smaller tank complaint from @BlackRST, different generations of vehicle. Probably isn't as much room for a bigger tank on these newer trucks. But they also get MPG than the older trucks as well due to AFM and 8 or 10 speed autos.

@Slizzo Yeah, very good point. I was more responding to the previous statements. But I also am a bit sad that they didnt put a larger tank in the trucks, considering when you look under there's a good amount of room. Either way when I road trip, 410+ miles to a tank with a few points of city driving Im happy with. Also, thats roughly 5 hours of driving, after that I'm ready to stretch my legs for a moment and fill up. 

Think the fog light switch (as annoying as it is) is also a safety feature. Certain places have laws where it is illegal to have them on in certain areas. I have heard members from Canada on the site mention this.

Two gallons of gas weighs 12.6 pounds, so probably just another weigh to shave weight from the trucks total.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

98% will never fill it up anyways...

I don’t know about other folks, but I top up the fuel tank every chance I get, even it’s only 30-40 litres (6-7 gallons).  In the winter months especially, never run below 1/2 tank.  That’s just me though...

• Like 1

It was first Ford Ive ever owned. 

The Roush package was neat, but the big Mickey Thompson tires didn't go for crap in snow or rain, and the catback exhaust was really loud...I liked it but family hated it.

The driver doors(both) wouldn't stay closed when it was really cold out(had to push down the door lock to keep it closed)

It had 32000 miles and I got a good price at one dealer(like $9000) more than anyone else so I dumped it.

And it had 32000 miles...warranty was expiring

I've never been totally brand loyal, it's what catches my eye and something everyone doesn't have

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Extractor said:

Things I like:

1. i agree with this, I understand why it's not automatic, but with the tech in these trucks we should be able to adjust it with a setting. It's a minor thing, but minor things add up.

2. same

3. same, but I believe there are some laws in some states here

10. you'll get used to it. I've had mine for 7 months and its barely noticeable.