2020 2500 Silverado LTZ tailgate removal cameras

My new truck has cameras all over it. Front, side, rear, top. I figured out how to remove the tailgate, even made a short UTube video to help others, but after removing it, I found out that the camera system does not work. I still wanted the front, side, and top cameras to work with the tailgate off. Has anybody else encountered this? Figured out how to keep them working with the tailgate off?

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to share what I mailed to GM:

Dear Mark Reuss, President of General Motors, Tim Herrick, Vice President, And Jim Danahy, Executive Chief Engineer

February 5, 2020. I have a problem that so far, no one in your organization can help me with. I have tried calling your help line, talking to my dealer, posting on the GM Forums, and a Facebook Truck Camper site.

I purchased a new Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 6.6L Turbo-Diesel truck. VIN #- - - -  on January 8th. I have had Chevrolet vehicles all my life and have been known as a “Chevy Man’. This is my first Diesel as I needed extra power. I have a truck camper that I use for camping and a boat that I tow behind it. I bought this new higher load rated truck as I found out that my last truck, a 2500, did not have the capacity to carry the load.

Of the many features it came with are an HD Surround Vision with Trailer Camera Provisions, Bed View Camera, Power Up/Down Tailgate and Power Lock, Trailering Package with Hitch Guidance, Front and Rear Park Assistance, Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Forward Collision Alert, and Lane Departure Warning. I think eight cameras all told.

For anyone that uses a Pickup Truck for recreation or work of hauling a Fifth Wheel trailer the tailgate may be removed or a Truck Camper, the tailgate must be removed. There are thousands of these sold every year, and people upgrade their trucks frequently also. The need to keep all the wonderful cameras except the removed tailgate cameras (2) working is paramount to safety.

On my last truck, a 2015 LTZ, I would remove/replace the tailgate approximately 12 times a year. For this truck, I reviewed a UTube video from Mike Davenport, a Chevy Dealer in Louisville, Ky, on removing the tailgate as well as any other online tips.

To unplug the wiring to the tailgate, it is very difficult and needs some engineering to make it easier, especially for older people that frequently use these vehicles (I’m 69). You have to drop the spare tire each time and crawl under. When I removed the two connectors to separate the tailgate, I thought the remaining cameras would continue to work. After all, they do on my friends Ford Lariat. Ford even gives their customers plugs to keep dirt out when unplugged. They even address it in their owner’s manual.

I have NO cameras operating with the tailgate removed, a major safety concern as well as a loss of convenience for backing up using the bed cameras. AND, now I discovered that the infotainment screen goes blank except for two icons when you operate the turn signal. That is also very unsafe losing directions when you need then, distracting with the screen going dark, and having to touch the screen to restore it. You have no resources for technical help online, your phone center has no clue, and you haven’t informed your dealers. I NEED HELP!

I'm wondering if you do not know or care about the customer base, or never bothered to ask. This may be a deal breaker for anyone looking to buy a new truck especially with the camera commercials showing trailering. Ford cameras continue to work.

Other than this issue, I love my new truck, the capacity and power is fantastic!

Please contact me, It is now February 17, 2020

• 2 weeks later...

2020 3500 HD , pick-up camper

Ditto! Same issue here!

I purchased the rear trailer camera to mount on the back of my camper, but, it will not work either with the tailgate camera unplugged.  Probably would have been a deal breaker had I known the cameras go inop when tailgate is disconnected.

Edited by SqottS
p.s. Morgan, has anyone contacted you yet?

Same Issue here. Just bought a 2020 3500 HD Dually set it all up. I bought a new Host Mamouth Truck camper, and removed the tailgate, and no cameras at all. Plus every so often the tail lights flicker, I'm told this is a theft device and if someone steals my trailer or truck camper in this situation my alarm will go off. LOL Just what I want my camper lights flickering all the time when the truck is off and I'm camping. Plus I can't reach the trailer plug in in the back of the truck with the camper all the way in. Some serious software updates need to be done here.

Heard from Chevy today. Was happy they addressed it so quickly once I got to the Facebook Chevy page. Bad news is that they sent it to their engineers and they said basically that I'm stuck with it. Can't believe it. Not a happy camper. They are going to make all the people with slide in campers, 5th wheel recreational, 5th wheel horse trailers, and 5th wheel commercial folds unhappy. I know some don't need to remove the tailgate. So I guess I gotta spend an arm and a led for poor engineering to get my cameras working so I can be safe.

Sad

Morgan

• 1 month later...

So I finally got the cameras working through a work around. I had to buy an aux camera from Camera Source for $387.85. That got my system working although the camera is not mounted. Since I cannot see the back of the bed, backing up to a trailer without the tailgate on is a hassle since you can't see the ball either. I needed to be able to disconnect and reconnect once I got to my destination to drop off my camper and connect my boat /kayak trailers. I didn't want to be climbing back under each time and again to pack up the camper so I bought an extension from Pasternack. When I take my tailgate off, I connect the jumper that remains in place routed through the bumper area. I then connect to the other end. I hang the end where the hitch cable goes. I attached a 1/2" tube over the connector to keep dirt out. I installed Velcro under to secure the end. (Note I still use a camera system mounted to my camper that displays all the time to monitor my trailers.) This is an very expensive solution for something GM should have addressed. It's a safety issue when the cameras stop working just because the tailgate is removed.

camera reduced 1.jpg

camera reduced 2.jpg

camera reduced 3.jpg

camera reduced 4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have same issue, slide in camper and tow a boat. I was thinking of purchasing a second Wire harness to match the one in the tailgate. Also need to purchase camera/sensor as currently mounted in tailgate. I would figure out how to mount camera/sensors to camper number step or camper door. So, remove tailgate and harness, load camper and connect harness. I am concerned about height/location of cameras on camper being similar enough to tailgate height So data feed is approximately in the same location, if that makes a difference to overall camera system. Why would this not work? 

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here and I am pissed. Spending almost 100K on a truck to have it not preform the way they advertised makes for a very angry customer. I specifically said time and time again that I was ONLY buying my 2020 DWR GMC to haul a huge truck camper with a horse trailer behind. They assured my the tailgate was no more difficult to remove that the regular kind on my 2008 Silverado and was probably only 5 pounds heavier ..NOT TRUE. I was told a regular tailgate was not an option. Not only is the tailgate  a total pain in the ass to remove and heavier than sin, but none of the cameras work and that "invisible trailer" thing...they can't seem to get one of those  cords to make it work for me even though I ordered this truck last August WITH that feature. I feel like I paid for a bunch of bells and whistles I can never enjoy.  It seems GMC and Chevy really do not understand  the customer who buys  t his kind of truck.

Hello, yes much the same.  Bought a 2020 Sierra 3500 AT4 SRW to haul my truck camper.  Love the truck, BUT...., shocked when after taking the tailgate off that all the cameras became in operational and every time I signal the dashboard screen cuts out and displays a warning symbol 'no camera'.  Huge disappointment.   I have been dealing with the dealership directly.  Surprised that they had no idea this happens.  Anyways, took it to them yesterday to have a look.  They concluded that I need to buy GM part #84679989 Harness.  They said that if I plug this in it will complete the electrical series and all the cameras "should" work.   About a $150.00 part.  I haven't ordered it yet but will and really hope that this is the remedy.  Has anyone tried this yet??  

Also, somebody in this stream mentioned about their rear camper lights flashing ever few minutes or so when plugged into the truck.  I have the same issue.  The dealership said that because it is a new camper with LED lights the load draw is quite minimal and therefore the truck senses this and flashes a warning.  They told me the fix to this is a simple connector, approx. $15 part.  The part is a Pollack Heavy Duty 7-Way Connector Plug, either #12-706 or 12-702.  Has anyone tried this??

• 3 weeks later...

We just purchased a 2020 Silverado 3500 HIgh Country for the express purpose of hauling our slide-in camper, horse trailer, and sometimes both at the same time.  Just like everyone else on this thread, we made the unpleasant discovery about the cameras when the tailgate is removed.  I've been trying for a month to get a resolution to this problem from the dealer and GM, but so far, no luck.  I did manage to get two GM part numbers for a harness and camera that can be installed when the tailgate is removed (84679989 and 84676845) at a cost of approximately $250, but I have not purchased them yet.  This is a spectacularly poor engineering and marketing choice on GM's part, and a huge black mark on them for not supporting their loyal customers.

You might also send an email to Dan Hermer at [email protected].  Supposedly he's the VP of quality and he contacted me because I hadn't yet filled out their quality survey.  I suspect it was just a machine-generated form letter, but perhaps if enough of us send emails to this address we might get some attention.  Not a happy camper (literally)

In response to the problem of flashing lights in the camper (another spectacularly bad design choice on GM's part), it appears to be because the camper's tail lights are all LED.  The problem goes away when our horse trailer is plugged in, which has at least one incandescent tail light.  I solved the problem by making a fixture containing two incandescent bulbs with a 7-way connector attached.  I plug that in to one of the two 7-way receptacles on the truck and the lights no longer flash.  Ridiculous that we have to do this on such an expensive vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2020 GMC Denali 3500 Dually and were able get the "GMC fix".  They installed essentially a new harness and camera for $275 on the side for when the tailgate is off. All cameras work except the tailgate which was required to be blackened out. I'm not sure why it needed to be blackened out but plan to experiment placing the camera near the license plate when time allows.

Harness part #84679989 and Camera 84676845. 

• 1 month later...

I purchased my Denali 3500HD dually this summer expressly for hauling my heavy slide our camper and towing our cargo trailer with all the toys. The “invisible” trailer camera view and all the other cameras was definitely a large part of the reason I traded in my 2017Denali. Like the others on this post I couldn’t believe that nothing works when the tailgate is removed.  I talked to my dealer today and they were quite surprised and said “ there’s no way GM engineers are that stupid”. Obviously they are!!!   
Very unhappy and frustrated 5th time DuraMax purchaser.