1 hour ago, Dunn said:

true, but they're are ways around that....TB axles or aftermarket or even extensions

With such a small space those coilovers wont have a huge travel range. I'd imagine they are 6 inch travel. So set at 3 inch lift u prob get 3 up and 3 down.  Which is plenty for about what you see these guys doing.   After that lots on changes in mounting needs to be done to fit bigger travel shocks.  So cv shafts may be a good idea if when dropped out the cvs bind...that's a toss up.  Mine jacked up has lots of room and on the stops it seems to turn with no binding...that's with stock lower uca's.

Edited by Flatblack83

5 hours ago, Dunn said:

true, but they're are ways around that....TB axles or aftermarket or even extensions

Yes there are with your typical long travel kit. I purposefully didn't want to extend anything and keep the stock geometry, steering, driveshafts, etc.

1 hour ago, pewterliftedz said:

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the 1/2" wheels spacers from?

A local truck accessory shop. They are a super common part you can find on Amazon, Ebay or your local wheel & tire shop should carry some.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, Jetiemann said:

how much difference would you get out of a coil over setup like BDS (FOX) that has with the weld in loop? 

Weld in shock hoops are for long travel (non OEM bolt up) coilovers. To supply the amount of wheel travel the suspension components offer, you need a longer stroke shock than can fit in the OEM mounting locations. That is why they re position  the upper shock mount with a hoop. Theoretically both type of shocks should have the same valving technology so they should work the same, just one offers less travel. 

So for me, a longer stroke shock (using a shock hoop) would allow my suspension to droop too far and damage the suspension components. This OEM bolt up King has a droop limiting feature built in already so I don't need to use limit straps.

Hope this makes sense for you.

39 minutes ago, code-man26 said:

Weld in shock hoops are for long travel (non OEM bolt up) coilovers. To supply the amount of wheel travel the suspension components offer, you need a longer stroke shock than can fit in the OEM mounting locations. That is why they re position  the upper shock mount with a hoop. Theoretically both type of shocks should have the same valving technology so they should work the same, just one offers less travel. 

So for me, a longer stroke shock (using a shock hoop) would allow my suspension to droop too far and damage the suspension components. This OEM bolt up King has a droop limiting feature built in already so I don't need to use limit straps.

Hope this makes sense for you.

Yes thank you. I understand the reason for shock hoops and how suspension works. I was looking at the bds kit that has weld in hoops but doesn’t push the wheels out like a long travel. Seems like too much work for stock width stuff. 

think I’m going with fox 2.5 front and rear through Accutune, Bajakits chase UCA,

deaver  u182 With camburg extended shackles. Then I’ll trim the front wheel wells and squeeze some 35’s in it. 

• Like 1

I travel for work so I’m still going to have to drive this thing all over the country. So I didn’t want to go too aggressive with a long travel prerunnerish truck. but I figured I might as well be comfortable doing it and while I’m out of Houston where we have no good places to drive I’ll take advantage of it. 
Then maybe later on add a little breathing treatment to her. ?

3 hours ago, Jetiemann said:

Yes thank you. I understand the reason for shock hoops and how suspension works. I was looking at the bds kit that has weld in hoops but doesn’t push the wheels out like a long travel. Seems like too much work for stock width stuff. 

think I’m going with fox 2.5 front and rear through Accutune, Bajakits chase UCA,

deaver  u182 With camburg extended shackles. Then I’ll trim the front wheel wells and squeeze some 35’s in it. 

Those new Fox 2.5's coil overs and rears are coming soon for the 19-20 models. Also, i may be tripping but aren't deaver u182's for 1999-2018 models only?

Can't wait to see your rig finished!

15 hours ago, Jetiemann said:

Yes, welding in a shock hoop does seem like too much work for a lift kit. I wanted a prerunner kit but also wanted a nice daily driver. This Baja Kits stock width kit checked all the boxes for me. No use in going with King 3.0's for a DD build. 

The BDS kit is just a basic "lift kit" with Fox shocks bolted on. The Baja kits is an actual performance kit that gives you more wheel travel, better articulation and stiffer components. A lift kit doesn't give any more performance other than ground clearance and actually makes your suspension more prone to deflection and bending. At the price of the BDS kit you might as well get a prerunner kit that improves the performance of your truck. Just my two cents though. I'm sure your truck will be badass either way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheTicketTX said:

Those new Fox 2.5's coil overs and rears are coming soon for the 19-20 models. Also, i may be tripping but aren't deaver u182's for 1999-2018 models only?

Can't wait to see your rig finished!

You are correct on the U182's but I've seen and talked to some guys running that pack on their 19's. I have tried to reach out to Deaver for verification but, no dice. I guess if the eye-to-eye and spring rate matches the weight there's not much more to worry about. 

2 hours ago, code-man26 said:

Yes, welding in a shock hoop does seem like too much work for a lift kit. I wanted a prerunner kit but also wanted a nice daily driver. This Baja Kits stock width kit checked all the boxes for me. No use in going with King 3.0's for a DD build. 

The BDS kit is just a basic "lift kit" with Fox shocks bolted on. The Baja kits is an actual performance kit that gives you more wheel travel, better articulation and stiffer components. A lift kit doesn't give any more performance other than ground clearance and actually makes your suspension more prone to deflection and bending. At the price of the BDS kit you might as well get a prerunner kit that improves the performance of your truck. Just my two cents though. I'm sure your truck will be badass either way. 

The BDS kit I was speaking of was the 4” or 6” coilover kit that has the weld in hoops and UCA’s.  But I didn’t want to lift 4”. Think I can put together a better kit that fits my wants more.