Oil life monitor reading below 10% but...

Only 1500 miles since last oil change. Any advice if the oil reading on the dash is accurate or what it’s based on?

Little bit of background:

Bought the 2019 LT truck under 6k miles with oil changed before out the door,

Returned when the oil reader on the dash was below 10% oil and mileage was at ~9400 miles, service date was Feb 2020

Now, since the pandemic, I haven’t really needed to drive since I’m work from home, I’ll make the grocery trips or pick up big item purchases. However now the oil reader on the dash is below 10% and since last service date I’ve only driven ~1500miles and it’s been about a year.

Should I take it in because of the oil reading saying below 10% or should I wait until the usual 3k miles between oil changes?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Since 2010 all GM vehicles have been equipped with the oil life monitor (OLM) system

The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale. Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions

Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:

1. Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution. Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.

Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2. Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt. In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3. Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset. The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• txab changed the title to Oil life monitor reading below 10% but...
On 1/27/2021 at 7:58 PM, SilveradoTex4 said:

Only 1500 miles since last oil change. Any advice if the oil reading on the dash is accurate or what it’s based on?

Little bit of background:

Bought the 2019 LT truck under 6k miles with oil changed before out the door,

Returned when the oil reader on the dash was below 10% oil and mileage was at ~9400 miles, service date was Feb 2020

Now, since the pandemic, I haven’t really needed to drive since I’m work from home, I’ll make the grocery trips or pick up big item purchases. However now the oil reader on the dash is below 10% and since last service date I’ve only driven ~1500miles and it’s been about a year.

Should I take it in because of the oil reading saying below 10% or should I wait until the usual 3k miles between oil changes?

Thanks.

I'd probably just reset it.

Drive it the same amount for another year and it will 'remind' you again.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

GM recommends you change the oil at least once a year, regardless of mileage. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change it if you like keeping your warranty intact. 

The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and, at this time, the system must be reset.

Page 328 of the 2019 Sierra owners manual. 

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2019/GMC/sierra-1500/2018-gmc-sierra-denali-owners-manual.pdf

• Like 1

My two cents...change it. If you’re doing only short trips...you are probably not bringing the oil up to temp often...contamination is the limiting factor here.

Drives me nuts when people waste oil changing it at 500, 1000, 1500, etc...but in this instance it makes sense.

In the future, you could certainly plan in some longer trips to bring everything up to temp regularly. If that is done, I would see no issue going two years on a change at low mileage. Every part of the truck would benefit from it.

I would go get it changed.  With that few miles driven it could be a lot of short run times which translates to moisture from condensation in the motor.  You may find 6000k miles is more realistic for an oil change with modern synthetic oil they use.  

• 10 months later...

It's an algorithm based calculated guess with very little effective real sensing.

Use it as a guide and use common sense to guide service. Only way to confirm oil and engine condition is high quality oil analysis. Good luck finding a current source for high quality oil analysis. 

I base my oil changes on mileage. Every 3K miles, with full synthetic oil. That's just a personal preference. How often you change the oil is up to you. I think that it will be ok, and you could skip changing t for now, but again - its just a person preference. Do what ever makes you sleep better. Like others said, frequent short trips is not good for the integrity of the oil, due to moisture. If you take a lot of short trips, take the oil fill cap off, and you will see moisture in the cap.

img_0057-jpg.242905

• Like 2