All Terrain tire poll for '17 Sierra 4x4  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand the tire subject has been beaten to death but please hear me out. I currently have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 295/55/20. They are E rated tires.  I really like how they look but after running them for 2 years, they are loud and harsh in my 2017 crew cab sierra denali 4x4 6.2L .  I'm looking for a quiet tire with a SL load rating, comfortable ride but aggressive look.

I'll probably be going with 275/60/20 for the new tire size but also considering 285/55/20.  I've been doing tons of research, reading reviews and forums but since I have no experience with the 3 tires in the poll, I'm specifically looking for people with first hand experience switching from an E rated tire to a SL / XL / P rated tire.  I have also owned the Nitto TerraGrapplers and did like them ok but looking for something different.

My truck is mainly driven in the city 85%, highway 10% and about 5% in the country (gravel, muddy fields, etc) while hunting a couple times a year.  I also live in Missouri, so we do see some snow from time to time but that is not much of a concern with 4x4 already.

Price is less of a concern but since it is relevant:

Falken Wildpeak               275/60/20 - $238 each or $952 for 4

Toyo OpenCountry AT3   285/55/20 - $234 each or $936 for 4

Toyo OpenCountry AT3   275/60/20 - $266 each or $1064 for 4

Goodyear TrailRunner     275/60/20 - $156 each or $623 for 4

I'm getting old and want a smoother ride=lame.   I know the magnaride is not the smoothest, I plan to see if the tires do the trick for me and if not, suspension is next.

Many thanks!!

Edited by 17Sierra1500
typo

I have only tried the Falkens but like them so far. Same size, 275/60R20. I just had them installed back in Dec. I chose them after reading up on the same ones you have as choices. They have a great look and so far not loud. 

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

I have the falkens, 295/60r20, I like them alot.

They aren't as stiff as I thought they would be for E rated so I'm happy. They ride good, have great traction in the snow, ice, water, mud and dry. I have been very happy. They aren't really noisy either. Granted I have exhaust so I don't hear them over that.

• Like 1

I voted in the "something else" category.  

- Continental Terrain Contact AT

- General Grabber APT 

- Firestone Destination AT2

I had a set of the Grabber APT for about a year on my summer wheels.  I liked the look of them and noise was very low.  Good ride too.  Ended up switching to the Continental Terrain Contact HT as it was (per Tire Rack testing) a top handling, skid pad and breaking (dry and wet) HT tire for my stock 18" wheels.  I don't have any test data but concur with Tire Rack's results as the handling when pushed on winding roads is quite good.  

• Like 2

Firestone Destination AT2 as @newdude mentioned are good ( a friend of mine loves 'em) but I stick with the tried and true BFG All-Terrain KO2s for on road and off while still having a bit of compliance on 35 PSI even on the E rating.

• Like 1

I've had great luck with the General Grabber ATX's in the past. I was searching a few months back and ended up finding great reviews on the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's which I pulled the trigger on in 275/60/20 (33"). Absolutely blew me away how they handled in the snow and rain, offroad and are very quiet. 10/10 would recommend for a "budget" A/T tire as they are cheaper than most.

Edited by boettcher40