Towing shocks bilstein 5100 vs 4600

I'm considering the rancho 9000 so i can customize the ride. Wish there was a factory autoride available. Loved the way my Denali would adjust.

If the OEM Ranchos reflect the expected performance of the 9000, I'd lean toward the new Bilsteins when they become available. As noted by Jon A, damping isn't a simple issue or single design point.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how the 5100's are softer over washboards but stiffen up enough to keep the pickup planted. IMO that's what a shock on a pickup should do. You would think the Ranchos would be tuned to be smooth on washboards and potholes though, since that's as off road as most people get.

• 1 month later...

Chad,

When you increase the spring rate, like you did with putting overload springs on the back, the damping should go up to compliment the spring rate. Otherwise you get a "floatie" feel. I had an El Camino that I put heavy springs in and put in a set of Red Ryder Gabriels. Not nearly enough damping to control the extra spring rate. Same car, different spring rate. Big difference.

But back to your towing...If the front end feels like it's floating, you may just have too much tongue weight. A leveling type hitch may help if you don't already have one.

I think you'll be happy with 4600s if you aren't going to level it.

I'm interested in replacing the rear shocks to maybe solve the "float" issue with the factory shocks. I don't plan to lift so I'm eyeing the 4600 series. I found this article explaining the difference between the 4600 and 5100. Sounds like if you don't plan to lift then the 5100 doesn't offer any advantage over the 4600: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/images/bilstein-5100-vs-bilstein-heavy-duty.cfm

Archived