Question

"ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK"

Has anyone ever came across this before?

Let me start from the beginning. On 11/2932013, halfway on my drive from work to home, I noticed that my truck would "sputter" and the rpm would fluctuate when giving it some gas while going up a hill/incline (interstate). Once I was done with the hill/incline, everything would smooth out. Closer to home, once again, I would only notice the "sputter-like" reaction and rpm fluctuating slightly when giving it gas to climb a hill/incline. Made it home fine with no problems or warnings/lights. Upon embarking to work the next morning (11/30/2013), at approximately 5-6 miles from home, I went to give the truck some gas to get above 60 and all of a sudden all these warnings and dings starting going off. My engine warning light illuminated and my traction control light came on and I noticed some warnings scrolling through at the bottom saying: "ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK". it blew my mind! Meanwhile, I noticed my truck slowing down no matter how much gas I gave it. I was coming to a road intersection just ahead and preceded to turn around and pull over to investigate. I couldn't understand what was going on so since I was close to home, I just "limped" it back home and not getting over 40-45 mph. Got home and shut engine off and called my job. I went back out later before my ride got there to pick me up, and started my truck. It started fine and I didn't notice any "sputtering" like before, however the engine light is still illuminated. I can't do anything until this Wednesday anyway. Is there someone that has come across this before? The day it happened I Google'd to my heart's content and found that I am not alone, however I did notice that there can be a number of things that could cause this. Would any of this be covered under a warranty? How would I know if I still have warranty on my truck? I need some expert advice on this. Here is my truck info to the best of my knowledge:

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT

Taupe Gray

5.3 L V8

Crew Cab

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

:confused: R. Ashley

No mention of mileage, or purchase date, so no idea if you are still under bumper to bumper warranty. Also no idea on powertrain warranty without current mileage.

You don't say if there has been any engine or transmission work either.

If I did not have a scanner, and if I had over 100,000 km on it, I would change the fuel filter, and go for a test drive heading in the direction of he shop I would normally use for my repairs. In my case (old licensed mechanic) that shop would be the dealership, after I had a go at it.

"ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK"

Has anyone ever came across this before?

Let me start from the beginning. On 11/2932013, halfway on my drive from work to home, I noticed that my truck would "sputter" and the rpm would fluctuate when giving it some gas while going up a hill/incline (interstate). Once I was done with the hill/incline, everything would smooth out. Closer to home, once again, I would only notice the "sputter-like" reaction and rpm fluctuating slightly when giving it gas to climb a hill/incline. Made it home fine with no problems or warnings/lights. Upon embarking to work the next morning (11/30/2013), at approximately 5-6 miles from home, I went to give the truck some gas to get above 60 and all of a sudden all these warnings and dings starting going off. My engine warning light illuminated and my traction control light came on and I noticed some warnings scrolling through at the bottom saying: "ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK". it blew my mind! Meanwhile, I noticed my truck slowing down no matter how much gas I gave it. I was coming to a road intersection just ahead and preceded to turn around and pull over to investigate. I couldn't understand what was going on so since I was close to home, I just "limped" it back home and not getting over 40-45 mph. Got home and shut engine off and called my job. I went back out later before my ride got there to pick me up, and started my truck. It started fine and I didn't notice any "sputtering" like before, however the engine light is still illuminated. I can't do anything until this Wednesday anyway. Is there someone that has come across this before? The day it happened I Google'd to my heart's content and found that I am not alone, however I did notice that there can be a number of things that could cause this. Would any of this be covered under a warranty? How would I know if I still have warranty on my truck? I need some expert advice on this. Here is my truck info to the best of my knowledge:

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT

Taupe Gray

5.3 L V8

Crew Cab

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

:confused: R. Ashley

Same exact thing happened to me in my 2010 Silverado at about 60k, it freaked me out too. I did some research and it turned out to be a bad throttle body. I ordered one off amazon($140) and installed it myself, never happened again. About a year after I did it GM put out a recall on the throttle body, I`m in the process now of getting reimbursed for it. Check into the recall, it explains your exact situation. Honestly it took me about 15min. to swap the throttle bodies.

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of information!

Purchase Date: January 18, 2010

Current Mileage: 73,434

Last PM was at 70,000. I did have a transmission fluid exchange service on 9/15/2012 along with a brake fluid exchange service as well the same day.

BIG UPDATE:

My wife reminded me about some letter that came in a long while ago. Guess what, I found it behind the driver's seat in the pocket when something told me to put it there when I cleaned my truck up before a vacation trip. Here is basically what it says:

"As the owner of a 2010 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD (didn't know there was an LD, but anyways), your satisfaction with our product is very important to us."

"This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2010 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD vehicles, equipped with a V8 engine, may have a condition where the throttle position sensor may cause the engine to run rough and cause the malfunction indicator lamp and/or an Engine Reduced Power message to illuminate. If this occurs, it could result in reduced engine power."

I always knew my other half was good for something, :lol: LOL! Next step, set up appointment with the Chevy dealer. Thank you all that responded for your help. I hope this information will help someone else who may have a similar situation!

Thanks,

R. Ashley

• Like 1

I have been battling this issue for a couple weeks now since it turned cold here. I ended up getting the service kit and a ecm reprogram under the extended warranty program gm offered.

I had the exact symptoms that was describes. Service engine light, service stabiltrac and reduced engine power.

• Like 1

Same exact thing happened to me in my 2010 Silverado at about 60k, it freaked me out too. I did some research and it turned out to be a bad throttle body. I ordered one off amazon($140) and installed it myself, never happened again. About a year after I did it GM put out a recall on the throttle body, I`m in the process now of getting reimbursed for it. Check into the recall, it explains your exact situation. Honestly it took me about 15min. to swap the throttle bodies.

Tell them to fix the throttle body, they should have known

:D UPDATE!

Hey Guys,

This is a quick update. I took my truck in to get it serviced after I called an made an appointment. I told them over the phone what happened as well as to the service rep on the day of service. I showed them the letter to which they took. I also had my purchase papers along with the warranty papers ready as well. They told me they would scan the vehicle and let me know what it showed. The service rep also surprised me as well by doing a recall check. Mind you I have signed up with the Chevy Owners on GM's website where you can search for recalls and nothing ever came up. The service rep was able to locate a recall on the transmission fluid reservoir tube. Apparently some have cracked. This would be where you would send your transmission fluid and transmission dip stick down. If cracked, they would replace (about 1 hour) and if not, they would place a reinforcing sleeve around the tube. After about 2-3 hours, I did wait as I didn't have anyone available to pick me up, the service rep came to get me from the lounge and stated that the scan did in fact report back a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) error so they were able to replace that and to drive it around and make sure everything was okay. I signed the service report and out the door with NO MONEY spent by me. I was one happy customer. Since then, I fell nor hear any hesitation and no more warning lights are displayed. I have traveled around my town/county and commuted to work and so far so good. We shall see. I hope this post has helped others and make you aware of a recall that I was surprised about. I will let anyone know if something happens in the future with this. Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year if I don't hear from you until then! Take care and be safe out there!

Ricky Ashley, NREMT

• Like 1

I had a similar thing happen to me with my 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L V6. About 8 months ago (March 2013) I had about 52,000 miles on my truck at the time. My "Service Stabilitrack", "Service Traction Control" and a "Engine Power Is Reduced" messaged along with both SES and TCS lights on. I had really slow acceleration only about a 40 mph top speed, engine Idled rough, trans shifted harsh. I shut it down, checked under the hood. When I restarted the truck it ran/drove fine for another 80 miles and same issues again. Restarting it was not help this time, I Just limped it the rest of the few miles to my hotel. Then limped it to the Chevy Dealer in Springfield,IL in the morning where I was at the time for a Horse Fair. They listed the codes on my R/O as P0121 and P2135... both related to my failed Throttle Position Sensor(TPS). They replaced the TPS(with the new style TPS), reprogrammed the ECU and reset idle speed. They fixed my truck while I waited, that was really nice of them. Since I showed up outta the blue.

I now have over 64,500 miles on my truck and I've never had that problem nor any other issue again, trucks been running great. My 2011 Chevy Silverado is way out of warranty and I didn't want any extended warranty when I bought her brand new. So the total bill for the Chevy Dealer to repair was $253 not bad IMO, since this was the first time I ever had any trouble with the truck.

Glad to see your truck is fixed!! I was also glad it was a simple and quick fix on my truck.

Edited by 3Horses

My 2007 escalade is doing the same but the code is a cylinder 7 misfife and bank one lean. I tried a used coil pack first since it was free now I am going to replace the injector. My tuck has 126k and has had all reomended services done. It just has new plugs and wires installed last month. I hope the injector fixes the proble

#PIP3280D: Fuel Injector Replacement
Information - Inspect Fuel Injector Inlet Filter Screen For Rust -
keywords P0171 P0174 P0300 P0301 P0302 P0304 P0305 P0306 P0307 P0308 -
(Sep 17, 2008)

Subject: Fuel Injector Replacement Information - Inspect Fuel
Injector Inlet Filter Screen for Rust
999999995.gif Models: 2005-2007 Buick Rainier 2004-2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade
EXT 2004-2007 Chevrolet Express, Silverado, Suburban,
Tahoe 2004-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2004-2007 GMC Envoy, Envoy XUV 2004-2007 GMC Savana, Sierra, Sierra Denali 2004-2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL and Yukon Denali XL 2004-2007 HUMMER H2 2005-2007 Saab 97x with a V8 Engine (RPOs L33, LH6, L59, LM7, LQ4, LQ9, or LR4)

This PI was superseded to update models and condense the
recommendations. Please discard PIP3280C.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle
exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complaint of a SES light, engine misfire,
or other engine performance concerns. In some instances, their
concern may be the result of a plugged fuel injector inlet filter
screen, which may not be repaired by cleaning the fuel injectors as
outlined in 03-06-04-030.

In a returnless fuel system, all fuel leaving the tank flows
through the fuel injectors because there is not a return line for
fuel to return to the fuel tank from the engine. As a result, any
contamination (including rust) that forms in the fuel line will
find its way to the fuel injectors. The fuel injector inlet has a
filter screen to filter out small contaminants, such as rust. If
enough debris accumulates on the fuel injector inlet filter screen,
it will start to restrict fuel flow.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the latest version of 03-06-04-030 leads to fuel injector
replacement, inspect the fuel injector inlet filter screen for rust
contamination. If rust contamination is present, replace the
affected fuel injector. Replacement of all steel fuel lines is also
recommended whenever rust is observed in an injector because there
is a chance that rust remains in the steel fuel lines.

Also inspect for rust in the fuel tank, which indicates that
water may be present. If present, it could affect uncoated portions
of the fuel pump and filter assembly and the fuel lines, and could
lead to a re-occurrence. If rust is observed in the fuel tank,
follow the Fuel System Cleaning Procedure in SI to clean the inside
of the fuel tank and refill with clean fuel. Also inspect the
in-tank fuel pump module and filter assembly, and replace as
necessary.

Using GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS (at oil change intervals)
can protect against the affects of water and certain contaminants
that may be present in some poor quality fuels.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly
and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved
without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to
be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians,

NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these

technicians of conditions that may occur on

it seems there is more to this than guessing and throwing parts at your truck ,,,,good luck

DTC P0300-P0308

Diagnostic Instructions
DTC Descriptors DTC P0300

Engine Misfire Detected

DTC P0301

Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

DTC P0302

Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

DTC P0303

Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

DTC P0304

Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

DTC P0305

Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

DTC P0306

Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

DTC P0307

Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected

DTC P0308

Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

Circuit/System Description

The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the
crankshaft position (CKP) sensor in order to determine when an
engine misfire is occurring, and uses information from the camshaft
position (CMP) sensor in order to determine which cylinder is
misfiring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation
speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual
misfire events. If the ECM detects a misfire rate sufficient to
cause emission levels to exceed mandated standards,
DTC P0300 sets. Under certain driving conditions, a
misfire rate can be high enough to cause the catalytic converter to
overheat, possibly damaging the converter. The malfunction
indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when catalytic converter
overheating conditions are present and DTC P0300 is set.
DTCs P0301–P0308 corresponds to cylinders
1–8. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific
cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will also
set.

Conditions for Running the DTC
  • DTC P0010, P0011, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0108, P0116,
    P0117, P0118, P0128, P0220, P0335, P0336, P0502, P1258, P3401,
    P3425, P3441, and P3449 are not set.
  • The engine speed is between
    650–6,200 RPM.
  • The ignition voltage is between
    11–18 volts.
  • The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between −7
    and +130°C (+19 and +266°F).
  • The fuel level is more than 10 percent.
  • The antilock brake system (ABS) and the traction control
    system (TCS) are not active.
  • The power management is not active.
  • The transmission is not changing gears.
  • The ECM is not in fuel shut-off, or decel fuel cut-off
    mode.
  • Excessive drive wheel slip is not detected.
  • Power Take Off is disabled.
  • Cylinder Deactivation is not in progress.
  • A manual transmission with a throttle position less than
    95 percent.
  • DTC P0300–P0308 runs continuously when the above
    conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM is detecting a crankshaft rotation speed variation
indicating a misfire sufficient to cause emission levels to exceed
mandated standards.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
  • DTCs P0300–P0308 are type B DTCs.
  • When the MIL is flashing the fuel injector may be disabled
    for the misfiring cylinder to protect the catalytic
    converter.
  • Depending on the conditions that set the DTC the engine may
    go into open loop.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
  • DTCs P0300–P0308 are type B DTCs.
  • The DTC must pass under the same operating conditions that
    were present when the DTC failed.

Diagnostic Aids
  • A misfire may only occur when the engine is operating under a
    load or when the engine is cold.
  • A high resistance condition on any ignition control (IC)
    circuit can cause an engine misfire P0300–P0308 DTC to
    set, without setting an IC circuit P0351–P0358
    DTC.
  • This test procedure requires that the vehicle battery has
    passed a load test and is completely charged. Refer to

Battery Inspection/Test.
  • A misfire DTC could be caused by an excessive vibration from
    sources other than the engine. Inspect the following for possible
    sources of vibration:
    • A tire or wheel that is out of round or balance
    • Variable thickness brake rotors
    • An unbalanced drive shaft
    • Certain rough road conditions
    • A damaged accessory drive component or belt
    • A damaged reluctor wheel
    • The Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn procedure may
      need to be performed.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Electrical Information Reference

DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference

Special Tools Required

J 26792 HEI Spark Tester

Circuit/System Verification
  1. Verify that no other DTCs are set.
  2. Engine idling, verify there is no abnormal engine
    noise.
  3. Observe the Misfire Current Counters with a scan tool. The
    Misfire Current Counters should not be incrementing. A random
    misfire, across one or more cylinders that are not steadily
    incrementing may be normal for this engine.
    • If the vehicle passes the Circuit/System Verification test,
      then operate the vehicle within the conditions for running the DTC.
      You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that are
      captured in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records List.

Circuit/System Testing

Important:
You must perform the Circuit/System Verification
first.

Important:
An erratic or weak spark is considered a no spark
condition.

1. Verify that the following conditions do not exist:
  2. Measure the resistance of the spark plug wire, and verify the
    condition of the spark plug wire. Refer to

Ignition System Specifications
    and

Spark Plug Wire Inspection.
    • If the resistance value is not within the specified range, or
      does not pass the inspection, replace the spark plug wire.
  3. Reinstall the spark plug wire to the ignition module/coil
    assembly.
  4. Install the
    J 26792 to the spark plug wire
    boot.
  5. Attempt to start the engine and observe the
    J 26792. The spark plug tester
    should spark.
  6. Ignition OFF, remove the spark plug from the misfiring
    cylinder. Verify that the following conditions do not exist with
    the spark plug:
    • Gas, coolant, or oil fouled
    • Cracked, worn, or incorrectly gapped—Refer to

Spark Plug Inspection.
      • If there is a condition with the spark plug, replace the
        spark plug.
  7. Exchange the suspected spark plug with another cylinder that
    is operating correctly.
  8. Operate the engine under the conditions in which the misfire
    occurred, this may include putting the engine under a load or
    allowing the engine to return to a cold condition. Observe the
    Misfire Current Counters with a scan tool. The misfire should not
    follow the spark plug exchange.
    • If the misfire follows with the spark plug, replace the spark
      plug.
  9. If all conditions test normal, test or inspect for the
    following:

Repair Instructions
Repair Verification

If the customer concern was a flashing MIL, then perform the
following procedure:

1. Install any components that have been removed or replaced
    during diagnosis.
  2. Perform any adjustments, programming or setup procedures that
    are required when a component is removed or replaced.
  3. Clear the DTCs.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds.
  5. If the repair was related to a DTC, duplicate the Conditions
    for Running the DTC and use the Freeze Frame/Failure Records, if
    applicable, in order to verify the DTC does not reset. If the DTC
    resets or another DTC is present, refer to the

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
    and perform the appropriate
    diagnostic procedure.
  6. To verify that the performance of the catalytic converter has
    not been affected by the condition that set this DTC, perform the
    Repair Verification for DTCs P0420 and P0430, refer to

DTC P0420 or P0430.

it seems there is more to this than guessing and throwing parts at your truck ,,,,good luck

Thanks for the information. I am currently out of town and do not have access to my diagnostic tools so the salvage yard let me try out a coil to see if it fixes it. Since it did not my old shop were i did body work is giving a set of injectors of a Camaro that got a supercharger at 4k miles. I don't like throwing parts at cars but I am getting these parts at prices i can't pass up lol. Is there any issue putting newer flex fuel injectors on a non flex truck if i do not intend try e85?

I am one of the mechanics that was already decades into a good career when the switch to EFI happened. First thing we were told (at a Chrysler training centre) was to extract the codes, read what they mean, then remember the basics, and always start diagnosis the same you would on a non-EFI engine. Check the basic three areas that exists on any gas engine, before you start tossing parts at it. Remember that the MAP sensor is like the accelerator pump on a carb, IAT is like the choke, and so on. After those were verified to operating correctly, then start looking a bit deeper. Generally issues are not that severe, and are easily corrected if you follow a logically sounding system.

I can't for the life of me recall what those Chrysler sessions were called, but, we always got some trinket every year from Chrysler for attending those training sessions. I still use the voltmeter I got in '78.