Bad Wind Noise

Same ole GM, no real concern for quality, they had a chance with these new pickups, but there quality is still way behind FORD and DODGE.

Really? Too bad the rest of the industry doesn't agree with you. Please look at this list and see where all the GM brands sit with respect to Ford and Dodge.

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/press-release/3WScQEz/2013-j-d-power-initial-quality-study.htm

And here are the ratings specifically for trucks:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality/trucks.htm

And SUVs:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality/suvs.htm

Several GM products, but not a single Ford or Dodge product. Why would that be?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problems here. This is the quietest truck I have ever owned. Yesterday I was in it and thought I heard a loud whining noise like a diesel winding up... Turns out I was hearing an Ambulance that was approaching me. No wind noise. I freaked this morning cause I thought I heard a knock near the front passenger door... This proved to be a seat belt clip that had not been returned to the right spot...

I have noticed that my 13 year old son sometimes does not pull the door hard enough to get it to close properly. The tight seal of this cab makes getting all the doors closed without slamming them tough.

After reading through all the posts here on this topic it makes me wonder if there the doors on the models that are having wind noise are not coming into contact with all the weather stripping.. as You build it up on one end, it throws the other side off..... Just a thought.

Up date

Took my truck to the dealer, they replace the weather stripping again.

Tried it out no better?

They made another adjustment to the weather stripping, made it more positive .which is short is adding some extra material in behind the weather stripping to bring it out further.

Which I was not in favor of on a new truck but not other options.

They added the extra material a bit better but still very noticeable.

I guess I go back again,

Stay tuned!

I also noticed significant wind noise while traveling at highway speeds in a strong cross wind. I reached up and squeezed the top of the door frame and the noise was reduced quite a bit. I'm a bit put out by this development since the rest of the truck is great but the wind noise was very loud and you could feel the air really coming in. I have not taken it to the dealer yet...wondering how may others are having this issue and if there is a fix?

2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab

Hey Normy14,

I'm sorry to hear you've had some difficulty getting this resolved. It appears you are located in Saskatchewan, have you reached out to our Customer Care team in Canada? They can be reached at 800-263-3777, and are happy to assist, M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST.

gftc99,

Be sure to let us know when you decide to go to the dealer. We would be glad to follow up and work with you through the process. If you would like our help please PM us your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.

GM Customer Care

I noticed slight wind noise. I investigated and the weatherstrip on the door itself (not the weatherstrip on the truck jamb, as this truck has both) wasn't adhered to the door right in the transition from vertical to angle at the leading edge of the door. (Basically right in front of the mirror). The weather-strip has about 6 inches where it is loose from the door. I did not verify if this is where I am actually hearing the noise from, but it sure seems suspect. Anybody else have loose weatherstrip on the front edge of the door?

• 2 weeks later...

Had my truck in the shop for the wind noise seems like it is a lot better now,

But I only drove it from the dealer home.

My fingers are crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a 2014 gmc Sierra all terrain and I am having wind noise in the front passenger door. I live in windy north Dakota and it isn't anything new to have a side wind but it is only on the passenger door. If it was only side winds I would hear it on return trips where the wind would be on the opposite side. The passenger door seems to push out when the noise is present and can be pulled in to lessen noise. The door is closed completely but almost seems like it needs adjustment. Has anyone found a way to adjust this to solve their issue?

• 2 months later...

I also have had wind noise with 30 mph cross winds and driving 70 mph, sounds like plastic/seal vibrating at passenger rear door annoying to say the least, hit a wind break and it stops.

anyone know of resolution? have not made it to the dealer yet

other wise love the truck.

My dealers body shop fixed the wind noise I had in strong cross winds. A wind that hit the diver's side caused a bad wind noise on the passenger door, wife said she could feel air coming in at the front rounded corner. Was told they adjusted the 'strikers' on both passenger side doors. When the doors were gently closed you could see they bounced a bit. Drove in the worst cross wind I've been in last friday and it's 100% better now. The cross wind caused a semi/trailer to tip on it's side, so think it was a damn good test. :) I didn't ask more details, just signed the warranty paperwork...............

Im in Canada and it gets cool here but I hope they make these to handle the cold temps?

Yes, except for the exhaust fllapper valves that freeze up and stall the truck and starters that refuse to crank in subzero temperatures, and electric steering that goes out in cold temperatures, and suspensions that creak like an old barn door. Other than that they handle the cold well.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same issues ....wind noise ... Rattles which sound like it's coming from the plastic trim around the door and the weatherstripping. I have taken it in 3 times and still no fix . The last time they adjusted the weatherstripping and put 2 sided tape underneath but still have noises and rattles . He mentioned that he could order new trim and weatherstripping but it seems like this is a common promblem.

Archived