What have you done to your K2 today?

31 minutes ago, Cburge95 said:

Does anyone have any experience installing these on their trucks?

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Running-Strips-Signal-Courtesy/dp/B07D535PHM/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=running%2Bboard%2Bled&qid=1639415521&sr=8-5&th=1

I have a pair that I've had for almost a year now just haven't gotten around to installing them. If any of you have, how did you mount them?

I used something similar for a underhood light connected to a hood pin. but you could wire those to the marker lights or interior lights easily by just running a single power wire to the bcm or junction box, the ground wire can be attached anywhere on the frame. setting them up as a blinker or brake light type thing wouldn't be much harder you just need to find the right wire to patch into.

Just now, doubeleive said:

I used something similar for a underhood light connected to a hood pin. but you could wire those to the marker lights or interior lights easily by just running a single power wire to the bcm or junction box, the ground wire can be attached anywhere on the frame. setting them up as a blinker or brake light type thing wouldn't be much harder you just need to find the right wire to patch into.

Oh I have all the wiring I need landed under the hood (did that on an earlier project), what I was wondering about is where anybody who has them is mounting them. Worried about them falling if I use just the 2 sided tape. The rocker panels have that rough coating on them so I know sticking them to that wouldn't end well. I have factory running boards but just not sure if that's the best option either.

48 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

I would just solder on each bulb at a time, I'm lazy like that though. Only repair what needs to be repaired lol

Yar, but this thing looks like you have to pop buttons off of it to get to the lights .... no telling if once you do that you can get the buttons back on.... i've tried to take one of these things apart before (years ago on my 89 S-10 Blazer 😂) and it was glued, AND some of the tabs broke off... ended up buying a new one anyway.  

Image 4 - Genuine OEM GM 84258729 HVAC Temp Control Panel for 2017-2019 GMC Sierra 1500

Edited by slide187

38 minutes ago, Cburge95 said:

Oh I have all the wiring I need landed under the hood (did that on an earlier project), what I was wondering about is where anybody who has them is mounting them. Worried about them falling if I use just the 2 sided tape. The rocker panels have that rough coating on them so I know sticking them to that wouldn't end well. I have factory running boards but just not sure if that's the best option either.

That 3m tape usually holds very well. I have used that tape in various sizes for all kinds of projects. The important thing is cleaning the surface really well before mounting it. I use rubbing alcohol on a shop rag and that cleans all kinds of stuff of the surface.

39 minutes ago, slide187 said:

Yar, but this thing looks like you have to pop buttons off of it to get to the lights .... no telling if once you do that you can get the buttons back on.... i've tried to take one of these things apart before (years ago on my 89 S-10 Blazer 😂) and it was glued, AND some of the tabs broke off... ended up buying a new one anyway.  

Image 4 - Genuine OEM GM 84258729 HVAC Temp Control Panel for 2017-2019 GMC Sierra 1500

Yeah I am not sure. I know for a fact that it is possible as I have seen some custom ones I just don't know how to do it and I can't find where it is now

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cburge95 said:

i put some lights under my yukon and I mounted them with thin metal strips and screws I bought at the hardware store, sort of like the kind you would wrap around a round pole, there was no way tape was going to keep them from falling off 

24 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

That 3m tape usually holds very well. I have used that tape in various sizes for all kinds of projects. The important thing is cleaning the surface really well before mounting it. I use rubbing alcohol on a shop rag and that cleans all kinds of stuff of the surface.

Yeah I have been leaning towards cleaning off the bottom of the running boards and mounting them there. Get some heavy duty solvent because I don't know if rubbing alcohol will take off the road tar and crap that's stuck underneath them. I also have a box of the "3M Adhesive Promoter" to use and try to get them to stick even better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slide187 said:

Didn’t really DO anything yesterday except look at the dash and noticed this… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

or “these” depending on whether you’d consider this 1 problem or two. 🤪

1ECEB70A-21E5-4415-BAF7-EAF16A0CF213.jpeg

I'm having the same issue with my 2018. The light constantly flickers on & off. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slide187 said:

Didn’t really DO anything yesterday except look at the dash and noticed this… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Looks like your system is OFF.

You are going to be blown away by these. I'm in a facebook group called headlight junkies and Diode is one of the staples in the lighting community. I only have the pro's, and with my old stock projectors and a mid-tier 45w HID kit the fogs were brighter than my low beams. Also you won't be blinding incoming traffic due to their TIR lens technology. They literally light up EVERYTHING in the ditch, and have top notch customer support if you ever need anything. Post some comparison pictures!

FFE833FB-F5DC-4340-86B6-08B672EDC354.thumb.jpg.94cd74feb9a13681f788a6975cc7632a.jpg

On 12/13/2021 at 10:49 AM, doubeleive said:

said f-it and bit the bullet for the SS3 max kit, should arrive right before xmas

ss3max.JPG

• Like 1

Had the same issue quite awhile ago. I have quite a bit of experience with soldering so tackled this on my own. Found some LED's on digikey that were very similar and got them swapped out. Flux, a good soldering station, magnifying glass and steady hands are your best friends! 

9B2EB020-EE4C-4D8B-8E47-AB269872DDA3.thumb.JPG.a82dfd563f29a2c5f4e6e570a47a8ecf.JPG

On 12/13/2021 at 9:57 AM, slide187 said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boettcher40 said:

Had the same issue quite awhile ago. I have quite a bit of experience with soldering so tackled this on my own. Found some LED's on digikey that were very similar and got them swapped out. Flux, a good soldering station, magnifying glass and steady hands are your best friends! 

9B2EB020-EE4C-4D8B-8E47-AB269872DDA3.thumb.JPG.a82dfd563f29a2c5f4e6e570a47a8ecf.JPG

so was it easy enuff to pop off the buttons themselves to get to the spots where they are?  or did you take it apart from the back?  

i'm gonna pull it this weekend and give it a look but i'm worried about breaking something and it not going back together.  i too have quite a bit of smc and audio wiring soldering experience, so if this is a thing i would rather do that than drop a hundo on a new piece.

any link to those leds you found? i just checked out digikey and there is an ocean of them hahaha 😰

Edited by slide187