I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with 88,000 miles with a 6.0L, does anyone know of cheap upgrades to the motor. Not looking to pull the motor and rebuild it just trying to make a little more power or get better fuel economy. ( I currently get 10MPG) The truck is bone stock.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tune is huge beyond a tune up. E fans is also good... I have retro'd 6 of those trucks to them lol. I did the airaid MIT to delete the snake and more importantly swap the airbox to one from an 07 up truck... they fit the same but the entire side of the box I'd open instead of 2 dinky holes like your stocker. Headers are good but I think they are a noisey pain in the ass... even the expensive ones I have bought.

Tune is hands down an easy 40 or 50 hp on an LQ4..... the stock tune is indeed that bad.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Tune is huge beyond a tune up. E fans is also good... I have retro'd 6 of those trucks to them lol. I did the airaid MIT to delete the snake and more importantly swap the airbox to one from an 07 up truck... they fit the same but the entire side of the box I'd open instead of 2 dinky holes like your stocker. Headers are good but I think they are a noisey pain in the ass... even the expensive ones I have bought.

Tune is hands down an easy 40 or 50 hp on an LQ4..... the stock tune is indeed that bad.

Do the belt driven fans really suck up that much power? I was thinking about putting a cold air intake in. I looked at the airaid systems and they are a bit much. They make a DIY type kit? I saw that spectre made a DIY kit and there intake is pretty cheap. Are there intakes any good?

Do the belt driven fans really suck up that much power? I was thinking about putting a cold air intake in. I looked at the airaid systems and they are a bit much. They make a DIY type kit? I saw that spectre made a DIY kit and there intake is pretty cheap. Are there intakes any good?

Yeah the clutch fan is a pig especially when it's locked... the problem I had was in cold weather that viscous clutch is more or less always locked. I got tired of idling my work truck at work at it loosing heat constantly... once I went e fan that issue was gone. .. and the a/c works better... and better throttle response.

Intake wise you can keep your stock tube honestly... I like the airaid tube as it cleans up the engine bay. The big restriction in the stock system is the lower half of the stock box... you could always cut it open though too and not buy anything. Like do this :bcd6720acd5279e90f521883e96f88f3.jpg

And then cut your inner fender to match.

The tuning though hands down beats everything. I built my own tune over the years for mine and hands down its a huge upgrade from stock. The factory timing curve sucks... the limitations via power enrichment delay, burst knock, and abuse management are ridiculous. They purposely made the trucks pigs just so people couldn't hurt them lol.

Yeah the clutch fan is a pig especially when it's locked... the problem I had was in cold weather that viscous clutch is more or less always locked. I got tired of idling my work truck at work at it loosing heat constantly... once I went e fan that issue was gone. .. and the a/c works better... and better throttle response.

Intake wise you can keep your stock tube honestly... I like the airaid tube as it cleans up the engine bay. The big restriction in the stock system is the lower half of the stock box... you could always cut it open though too and not buy anything. Like do this :bcd6720acd5279e90f521883e96f88f3.jpg

The tuning though hands down beats everything. I built my own tune over the years for mine and hands down its a huge upgrade from stock. The factory timing curve sucks... the limitations via power enrichment delay, burst knock, and abuse management are ridiculous. They purposely made the trucks pigs just so people couldn't hurt them lol.

Looks good and not like a hack job. Is cutting the fender really nessary. I would like to avoid modifying the truck body.

Looks good and not like a hack job. Is cutting the fender really nessary. I would like to avoid modifying the truck body.

To open the fender up yes it is. Otherwise your opened up box just tries to breathe against metal. I uses a gmt900 air box on my truck that is cleaner than that and has foam to seal it against the fender. You never, ever see the cutting you do.... so who cares lol. I just put the airbox in place, marked it with a felt and used a zip disc.

If it's continually locked during cold weather, you have a faulty clutch. While they will be locked initially, they should unlock after a short time driving...mine usually unlocks within 100 feet of leaving the driveway. Every thermal viscous clutch I have ever had acted this way...and I have owned just a few trucks with them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If it's continually locked during cold weather, you have a faulty clutch. While they will be locked initially, they should unlock after a short time driving...mine usually unlocks within 100 feet of leaving the driveway. Every thermal viscous clutch I have ever had acted this way...and I have owned just a few trucks with them...

Yeah me too...Pennsylvania winter isn't cold either. ... I had a lot more gains without it. Never had a faulty one.... unless the 15 trucks or so I had all were faulty. .... yeah no.

What did you use to seal the gap between the air box and the fender, and where did you get it?

Used a GMT900 lower airbox... comes with a foam seal around it. You could just get some foam strips with 2 sided tape and stick it to the box.

Yeah, -25 isn't cold...have a nice day.

It really isn't.... Enjoy your clutch fans lol. It's nice having a truck that holds heat... has a/c that works in stop and go traffic and be with out that stupid thing dragging on the engine everywhere it can.

Archived