2016 Silverado hood pools water

We have to park our truck outside. We had to go out of town for a couple of months. When we returned we had to use rubbing compound because the pooling water had begun to discolor the paint. When you pay this much for a vehicle, I don't need or want to deal with this type of problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like when it's full of water then I start driving and you see the wind fighting to hold the water up without rolling off the hood. Kind of neat. It will be a frozen block of ice for 3 months where I live

Same here, winter's coming. Water stays in/on mine until I get to the 1st stop sign. Slow down and water starts to roll off. Get to about 10-20 mph on the stopping process, and the wa wa goes air born and washes the windshield for me. Pro's and cons I guess LOL.

my truck is leveled and when parked on level pavement it pools on the hood.

Really? Then you either have cockeyed pavement or a deformed hood. If not, you have made an amazing scientific discovery that defies Newton law.

Newton discovered gravity.... a quick refresher is that water rolls from a higher point to a lower point. Perhaps an optical illusion to the untrained eye but the lowest points of the aerodynamic sculpting indentations in the '16+ hood is higher than the front of the apparent depression and front of the hood when parked level or downhill, and higher than its rear of the depression or rear of the hood when parked uphill.

Of course rain will sweep into the depression when driving forward, just like raindrops move upward to the top of the windshield because the rearward force of air exceeds the downward force of gravity.....stop the forward motion and the process is reversed and the water rolls off the front of the hood.

Thought owners of '16s beat the hell out of it in a previous post....so here we go again with a water test repost. Using the '16's graphic pitch and yaw meter and setting the pitch to zero degrees in the DIC to confirm level, I poured water into the depressions and repeated three times proving water does not remain in the depressions but rather rolls. Easy to confirm by any owner of a '16+ with new version hood.

It's not an ice cube tray, doesn't need a drain hole or any other B$...it is a bad a$$ looking hood that blends into a bad a$$ grille....evidently '16 owners were pleased enough to spend bucks on it instead of a cheaper leftover and others appear envious of the way it out dates older ones.......Newton was correct.

post-156616-0-12717500-1478098368_thumb.jpg

post-156616-0-32927100-1478098398_thumb.jpg

post-156616-0-05159400-1478098424_thumb.jpg

post-156616-0-04957000-1478098447_thumb.jpg

Are you saying it's physically impossible to have water pool on the 16+ hood?

The post above is saying water pools on his truck that is leveled (front end lifted to match the rear). He is not saying it pools on level ground only.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by Rawyzf

Does everyone park their trucks on a level surface at all times? Of course the water will pool all the time on top of your hood if you park the truck on a slight incline. Many homes in my area have sloping driveways with at least a 2 degree angle.

• Like 1

Really? Then you either have cockeyed pavement or a deformed hood. If not, you have made an amazing scientific discovery that defies Newton law.

Newton discovered gravity.... a quick refresher is that water rolls from a higher point to a lower point. Perhaps an optical illusion to the untrained eye but the lowest points of the aerodynamic sculpting indentations in the '16+ hood is higher than the front of the apparent depression and front of the hood when parked level or downhill, and higher than its rear of the depression or rear of the hood when parked uphill.

Of course rain will sweep into the depression when driving forward, just like raindrops move upward to the top of the windshield because the rearward force of air exceeds the downward force of gravity.....stop the forward motion and the process is reversed and the water rolls off the front of the hood.

Thought owners of '16s beat the hell out of it in a previous post....so here we go again with a water test repost. Using the '16's graphic pitch and yaw meter and setting the pitch to zero degrees in the DIC to confirm level, I poured water into the depressions and repeated three times proving water does not remain in the depressions but rather rolls. Easy to confirm by any owner of a '16+ with new version hood.

It's not an ice cube tray, doesn't need a drain hole or any other B$...it is a bad a$$ looking hood that blends into a bad a$$ grille....evidently '16 owners were pleased enough to spend bucks on it instead of a cheaper leftover and others appear envious of the way it out dates older ones.......Newton was correct.

Ya your right I was lying lol

Are you saying it's physically impossible to have water pool on the 16+ hood?

The post above is saying water pools on his truck that is leveled (front end lifted to match the rear). He is not saying it pools on level ground only.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is physically impossible if the truck is leveled as indicated in the post which is zero degrees tilt..........gravity, you know. And no where is it indicated that the front end matched the rear......it indicated the built in inclinometer in the DIC read zero (0) degrees, or when facing downhill, when the vehicle is empty. Matching front and rear height proportionality is based upon the load and where it is placed in the truck..If parked on a certain uphill angle, or if one throws a ton of crap in a parked truck it may be possible to get about 1/2" trapped before it spills backward over the rear of the hood...actually less if you have a nice polish on the hood..and 1/2" is not a pool.

To the contrary it appears that the shape of the hood is well designed and functional for other than the purpose of eliciting snide remarks by '16 wannabees. The folds and convolutions give extra strength to the lighter alloy hood. And I discovered what might be an unintended benefit in glare elimination similar to the flat black rally stripes on the hood of my '69 Camaro or the flat silver ones on my '15...... the multiple different angled surfaces instead of a continuous flat surface hood on the Silverado permit the driver by a slight turn of the head to eliminate the hot spot reflecting off the hood when driving toward a bright early morning, or late afternoon, Sun below the lower edge of the visor........a slight movement of the head positions the Sun's hot spot to a different surface on the hood where the different angle reflects it away from the driver's vision.

It is physically impossible if the truck is leveled as indicated in the post which is zero degrees tilt..........gravity, you know. And no where is it indicated that the front end matched the rear......it indicated the built in inclinometer in the DIC read zero (0) degrees, or when facing downhill, when the vehicle is empty. Matching front and rear height proportionality is based upon the load and where it is placed in the truck..If parked on a certain uphill angle, or if one throws a ton of crap in a parked truck it may be possible to get about 1/2" trapped before it spills backward over the rear of the hood...actually less if you have a nice polish on the hood..and 1/2" is not a pool.

To the contrary it appears that the shape of the hood is well designed and functional for other than the purpose of eliciting snide remarks by '16 wannabees. The folds and convolutions give extra strength to the lighter alloy hood. And I discovered what might be an unintended benefit in glare elimination similar to the flat black rally stripes on the hood of my '69 Camaro or the flat silver ones on my '15...... the multiple different angled surfaces instead of a continuous flat surface hood on the Silverado permit the driver by a slight turn of the head to eliminate the hot spot reflecting off the hood when driving toward a bright early morning, or late afternoon, Sun below the lower edge of the visor........a slight movement of the head positions the Sun's hot spot to a different surface on the hood where the different angle reflects it away from the driver's vision.

just playing devils advocate here but is the inclinometer on the vehicle re "zeroed" once a suspension leveling kit is installed? Lets call it a lift for now. Like once you lift the truck isn't it leaning backwards in relation to the stock setup. So now to get the on board inclinometer to read "0" you would have to have a slight lean forward? maybe that's y yours doesn't pool? Because in relation to being level you actually aren't, you have what is effectively the stock rake? where as someone with the lift on actual level ground is leaning backwards more than you so theirs pools.

Note: i have a 2014 without that hood or the inclinometer so im just making assumptions