2014+ Silverado/Sierra Long Term Reliability

You have to look at this from an emotional perspective. Which truck do you want to get in and mash the pedal, hear a good exhaust,and lay some rubber. Dodge Ram. If you must take a practical approach, buy a Toyota Tacoma. They hold there value hands down better than almost any daily driver. I think like 58% after 5 years according to kbb.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You have to look at this from an emotional perspective. Which truck do you want to get in and mash the pedal, hear a good exhaust,and lay some rubber. Dodge Ram. If you must take a practical approach, buy a Toyota Tacoma. They hold there value hands down better than almost any daily driver. I think like 58% after 5 years according to kbb.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

where does that put the silverado/sierra?

• Like 1

If you get a Challenger get a base V6. 300hp in a very reliable naturally aspirated motor, and the car, gas, and insurance would all be alot cheaper. If you get a truck, look into a base V6, only get 4x4 if you absolutely need it, most GM trucks come with the G80 anyway eliminating 90% of the need for that. Not sure how often the Ram's come with limited slips. From the financial standpoint, look into buying off a lease outright so you don't have a payment for a few years, then when you actually buy the truck you can haggle a deal as if it's a used vehicle. I was in the exact situation as you last year man, and I'm 23. I bought out the lease on a Double cab Custom and I don't regret it one bit financially. Almost 22k miles and no problems except those that were my fault lol.

It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and are taking this pretty seriously. It took me a while before I made it to your frame of mind. I have a little advice, and since it's coming from a stranger on the internet, you know it's something you can count on.

If you're buying a truck, be sure you research your options (as you are by visiting here) and only have to buy once. For instance, you might not feel like you need a bigger cab than the double cab... will you in 5 years? Planning on taking any road trips? That's one option I would check if it fits your needs. It's nice to be able to take out the family (think GF's parents and such) in comfort, rather than shoving people behind the seats. You probably won't miss the few inches in the bed.

Don't buy one with every option. Get the cloth seats. Do you need a sliding window in the back? Navigation? Get what you need, not a whole lot more. It'll be less expensive and less to repair later. With this in mind, make sure you don't miss an option you can't live without. Again, you only want to buy this thing once. You said 4x4, 5.3... how about gear ratios? I recommend the 3.42 as a great all-rounder, but if you don't need to tow much, you might be able to get away with the 3.08 and save some gas. The 22's look great. Ever price out tires for them? Maybe go with the 18s. They ride smoother anyway.

This advice should be applicable to any brand you buy. The others here have been giving some great advice too. The certified vehicles take a lot of the risk off the table. The Tacoma might be my choice if I were in your shoes, but a Silverado is a nice truck too. A Ram might be stretching it.

One last thing. I'm not advocating that you buy new, so don't misinterpret this. Make sure you're getting a good deal before you buy a used truck. So many of them are only 1k under what you can get a new truck for if they're not the same price. I don't know what you're looking to spend, but if you're ever creeping into the 30s, make sure you're not getting ripped off. A new one can be had for not too much more, depending on the options.

It sounds like you're on the right road. Ask a lot of questions and get the answers you need before making a decision. There's plenty of time. Don't rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ Z71. I'm coming up on 70k miles and three years of ownership. I've had to replace the tires, changed the air filter a couple of times, and had some oil changes. Maybe a couple of recall notices... but haven't had every one of those done.

So far, it's been a great truck. Still comfortable, still quiet, still gets decent mileage... No complaints.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

If you get a Challenger get a base V6. 300hp in a very reliable naturally aspirated motor, and the car, gas, and insurance would all be alot cheaper. If you get a truck, look into a base V6, only get 4x4 if you absolutely need it, most GM trucks come with the G80 anyway eliminating 90% of the need for that. Not sure how often the Ram's come with limited slips. From the financial standpoint, look into buying off a lease outright so you don't have a payment for a few years, then when you actually buy the truck you can haggle a deal as if it's a used vehicle. I was in the exact situation as you last year man, and I'm 23. I bought out the lease on a Double cab Custom and I don't regret it one bit financially. Almost 22k miles and no problems except those that were my fault lol.

If I were to go with a challenger, I'd bite the bullet and go with the 5.7 hemi but that seems highly unlikely. I live on Long Island so snow has been quite irritating this winter. I see the 4x4 being very useful around that part of the year but then again I'm driving an 06 maxima with near bald tires on all 4 wheels and I made it out alive. The only thing keeping me from leasing is I don't want to pay all this money just to drive the vehicle for a few years and then have to pay another sum to keep it. I'd rather save my money and get something used for a cheaper price that'll hopefully last me a long time. I took care of my last vehicle and I'm confident that if this dirtbag didn't come along it would've outlived me. The v6 in these trucks seems a little too underpowered for my taste but I can look into it, thank you

It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and are taking this pretty seriously. It took me a while before I made it to your frame of mind. I have a little advice, and since it's coming from a stranger on the internet, you know it's something you can count on.

If you're buying a truck, be sure you research your options (as you are by visiting here) and only have to buy once. For instance, you might not feel like you need a bigger cab than the double cab... will you in 5 years? Planning on taking any road trips? That's one option I would check if it fits your needs. It's nice to be able to take out the family (think GF's parents and such) in comfort, rather than shoving people behind the seats. You probably won't miss the few inches in the bed.

Don't buy one with every option. Get the cloth seats. Do you need a sliding window in the back? Navigation? Get what you need, not a whole lot more. It'll be less expensive and less to repair later. With this in mind, make sure you don't miss an option you can't live without. Again, you only want to buy this thing once. You said 4x4, 5.3... how about gear ratios? I recommend the 3.42 as a great all-rounder, but if you don't need to tow much, you might be able to get away with the 3.08 and save some gas. The 22's look great. Ever price out tires for them? Maybe go with the 18s. They ride smoother anyway.

This advice should be applicable to any brand you buy. The others here have been giving some great advice too. The certified vehicles take a lot of the risk off the table. The Tacoma might be my choice if I were in your shoes, but a Silverado is a nice truck too. A Ram might be stretching it.

One last thing. I'm not advocating that you buy new, so don't misinterpret this. Make sure you're getting a good deal before you buy a used truck. So many of them are only 1k under what you can get a new truck for if they're not the same price. I don't know what you're looking to spend, but if you're ever creeping into the 30s, make sure you're not getting ripped off. A new one can be had for not too much more, depending on the options.

It sounds like you're on the right road. Ask a lot of questions and get the answers you need before making a decision. There's plenty of time. Don't rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only looked at relatively base models, I'm not looking to spend over 30k on a truck at this age. Mid 20's is where I'd be comfortable. The extended cab actually isn't that small in my opinion, I was impressed. Im 6'0 and with the drivers seat in the position I'd drive in there was a sizable amount of room back there. Of course the crew cab would be ideal but it adds around 2k on the price tag usually so I could live with an extended cab. I don't need all the bells and whistles inside. Something I like is the bench seat which is usually cheaper, I don't mind cloth I actually like it better than leather. I won't really need to be towing at all unless my dad decides to repower our boat (sandy victim) so the 3.08 gears would be ideal. I noticed pretty quickly how all the dealers are, it varied on how hard they tried to screw me over on price thinking I knew nothing about these trucks. One guy was honest and said go to texas and get one that hasn't seen salt roads or snow, but for the most part they just pull information out of their asses when I ask them questions about the vehicles that I already know the answer to. Thank you for the response

I have a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ Z71. I'm coming up on 70k miles and three years of ownership. I've had to replace the tires, changed the air filter a couple of times, and had some oil changes. Maybe a couple of recall notices... but haven't had every one of those done.

So far, it's been a great truck. Still comfortable, still quiet, still gets decent mileage... No complaints.

Good luck with your decision.

Thats good to hear a positive experience, thank you

If I were to go with a challenger, I'd bite the bullet and go with the 5.7 hemi but that seems highly unlikely. I live on Long Island so snow has been quite irritating this winter. I see the 4x4 being very useful around that part of the year but then again I'm driving an 06 maxima with near bald tires on all 4 wheels and I made it out alive. The only thing keeping me from leasing is I don't want to pay all this money just to drive the vehicle for a few years and then have to pay another sum to keep it. I'd rather save my money and get something used for a cheaper price that'll hopefully last me a long time. I took care of my last vehicle and I'm confident that if this dirtbag didn't come along it would've outlived me. The v6 in these trucks seems a little too underpowered for my taste but I can look into it, thank you

I've only looked at relatively base models, I'm not looking to spend over 30k on a truck at this age. Mid 20's is where I'd be comfortable. The extended cab actually isn't that small in my opinion, I was impressed. Im 6'0 and with the drivers seat in the position I'd drive in there was a sizable amount of room back there. Of course the crew cab would be ideal but it adds around 2k on the price tag usually so I could live with an extended cab. I don't need all the bells and whistles inside. Something I like is the bench seat which is usually cheaper, I don't mind cloth I actually like it better than leather. I won't really need to be towing at all unless my dad decides to repower our boat (sandy victim) so the 3.08 gears would be ideal. I noticed pretty quickly how all the dealers are, it varied on how hard they tried to screw me over on price thinking I knew nothing about these trucks. One guy was honest and said go to texas and get one that hasn't seen salt roads or snow, but for the most part they just pull information out of their asses when I ask them questions about the vehicles that I already know the answer to. Thank you for the response

Thats good to hear a positive experience, thank you

I live in the Watertown, NY area. My 4x2 does fine with Duratracs, G80, some sand and knowing how to drive it in the snow, but from what I noticed dealers don't really stock them up here anyway. Test drive the V6 and I promise you won't be disappointed, especially if you don't tow or haul. In regards to leasing, you'll save money if the appraisal value at the end of the lease is less than the original residual value.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I have been doing my research on the new generation of gm half ton trucks. Long story short, I was in a very bad car accident back in December, I came out of a small acura tsx 6 speed (5 star crash safety rating) which is the reason I'm alive. Ive been looking pretty consistently at 2013+ rams, and the 2014+ gmc sierras and chevy silverados. I really like the styling of the new sierras and silverados but I have been reading threads regarding lots of issues that they seem to be plagued by. I wanted to see if anyone can voice a long term perspective on the 14's. From what I've been reading it looks like theres a lot of lemons out there. As far as configurations, I'd want to have 4wd, the 5.3 power plant and a crew/quad cab option. I would mainly be using the truck to commute to and from school. I'm 19 and go to school full time with two jobs on the side, needless to say I don't make enough money to be fixing a lemon if I get stuck with one. I need a truck that can last me at least 5-8 years thats safe and somewhat decent on gas. Thank you

-Nick

This may be helpful: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/199612-30-month80000-mile-total-cost-of-ownership/

• Like 1

I live in the Watertown, NY area. My 4x2 does fine with Duratracs, G80, some sand and knowing how to drive it in the snow, but from what I noticed dealers don't really stock them up here anyway. Test drive the V6 and I promise you won't be disappointed, especially if you don't tow or haul. In regards to leasing, you'll save money if the appraisal value at the end of the lease is less than the original residual value.

Thats true but I'd still prefer to stay away from a lease. If I own the vehicle I can do whatever I please with it and once its out of warranty I'd like to disable the afm and maybe look into a cam and exhaust to help it breathe better. I came out of a 4 cylinder and I really would be willing to pay the extra money to have the 5.3, it doesn't seem to be any worse on gas then the car I'm driving now and its been around for a long time

got my 14' high country with 78k for $26,750. now it has 94k been problem free since I got it.

Wow thats not bad I feel better about these trucks hearing all these positive experiences. Any things you guys think I should look out for in lets say a carfax report or when test driving a used truck if I was thinking about going through with it to avoid getting a lemon?

• 2 years later...

Incase anyone was wondering, I’ve had a 2010 challenger R/T 6 speed tastefully modified for over two years now, and I also bought a 2010 camaro 2ss 6 speed that’s got a monster cam pushing 484 horses to the wheels...safety And budget is no longer a concern of mine?. Thanks for all the input I would like to get back into a truck, before I bought the challenger I pulled the trigger on an 02 2500 ram with the cummins. Drove that tank for 2 months and got bored so I sold it for a nice profit. 

On 11/23/2019 at 12:23 PM, NickMP16 said:

Incase anyone was wondering, I’ve had a 2010 challenger R/T 6 speed tastefully modified for over two years now, and I also bought a 2010 camaro 2ss 6 speed that’s got a monster cam pushing 484 horses to the wheels...safety And budget is no longer a concern of mine?. Thanks for all the input I would like to get back into a truck, before I bought the challenger I pulled the trigger on an 02 2500 ram with the cummins. Drove that tank for 2 months and got bored so I sold it for a nice profit. 

I have a @015 Sierra  6.2 8 sp and it is a piece of junk compared to a 2000 I owned.Lately th 3rd brake light leaked staining the headliner out of warranty.Replaced light as it has a new revised gasket but stuck with a stained headliner.Recalls constanly on poor engineering and crap parts.Also the 8 speed trans issues and the vacuum pump for the brakes,crappy paint,onstar antennae that is just a matter of time before it leaks,rear window defogger that has fuse removed to prevent possible explosion or fire  etc.I could go on but you should get the drift that the GM trucks are problems

Just to give my experience so far: I purchased a 2016 Sierra SLE Double Cab with 33,XXX miles earlier this year. Since then (knock-on-wood) I haven't had a single issue and currently sit at 49,XXX miles. Truck drives great and the only money I've put in to it is for things I wanted but didn't need (Bilstein 5100's, New Tires, Fluid changes for the diffs and TC). I can't help but tinker with the vehicles I own. Like others have stated, do some thorough test drives and don't settle until you find what you want. Remember that you can go on any auto forum and find problems with any make and model. Using forums as your barometer for whether a certain make/model is reliable or not gives a lot of one-sided information - many of these trucks are on the road with perfectly happy owners who do not have any issues. YMMV