Four Wheel Drive Issues

I just picked up a 2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD gasser last month.  The first time I used the four wheel drive (electronic knob selector), there was a loud whirling noise coming from the front right of the truck.  I took it to the shop with 950 miles on it and it has been there for a week.  The dealership has new bearings on order and might end up changing out the transfer case if the noise continues.  Has anyone else had an issue like this before? Seems crazy being a brand new truck.

The noise was made when driving above 30 mph. It was louder when coasting than when accelerating but still very noticeable. The roads were snow covered and slick when driven. 

Ill keep you all all in the loop when the dealer is done with it. 

Edited by Kevin30376

mine and most all 4x4s make a little extra drivetrain noise in 4x4 at higher speeds. Most are hardly noticeable though. Is it just louder than normal or a worse noise than the typical drivetrain noise?

Sounds normal. My 18 makes the exact same noise, but I've read it's normal with this truck. Something different with how they build the front ends in these HD trucks I've read. 

This is the loudest truck I've ever driven in 4WD, but with the stereo going, I don't even hardly notice the noice. 688 miles now and counting on the truck; seems to be getting slightly quieter the more I use it? Could just be my imagination.. 

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a 2015 2500hd and during snowstorm day after I picked it up I used 4 high. Same thing.. it sounds like metal grinding noise when coasting or as soon as letting off throttle. After calling and going back to dealership, head mechanic went for a drive with me and said it’s completely normal sound. If it doesn’t sound like that it’s bad.. 

i have owned a few 4xs and never heard this loud of a noise.. I understand a whine but not this. 

Did they ever find out what it was?

If its a whining sound its normal and after a while you wont notice it. I kinda got bent out of shape in 2015 when I first used mine, now I dont even think about it. Metal grinding sound I never heard. 

Edited by crankman

If your going over 30 mph you really don't need the 4wd. Its not really doing anything at that speed since your already moving. 4WD does NOT help with braking or steering over20 mph. turn it to 2wd over 20 mph unless your in deep mud or snow.

Straight cut gears will make noise and thats what these trucks have. Mine does it, thought it was something wrong when I first bought the truck but its just how it is. Friend has three of these trucks as work trucks and all his does it too. Its normal