New Ram 1500 - Focus On Drivetrain - Full Specs - Detailed Images

Gorehamj

ram 19 engine and front frame.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

1-23-2018

The information Ram put out for the new 1500 is extremely detailed. Almost overly so. We scoured the available information on the new Ram 1500’s drivetrain and running gear and created a sort of highlight reel on just that tipic for readers to scan. Here is what we found:

ram 19 v6.jpgram 19 v8.jpg

Engines

- V6 “Pentastar” has 305 horsepower and 269 lb.-ft. of torque.

- V8 “Hemi” has 395 horsepower and 410 lb.-ft. of torque

- eTorque mild hybrid system standard on second generation 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 and optional on 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engines. eTorque combines a belt-drive motor generator unit with 48-volt battery pack to enable start/stop function, short-term torque assist and brake energy regeneration and adds up to 90 lb.-ft. of torque to the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 and up to 130 lb.-ft. to the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8. The eTorque unit also recaptures energy during deceleration and braking to feed charge to the battery pack.

- V8’s Fuel Saver Technology (cylinder deactivation). The engine control computer turns off fuel and spark, and closes the intake and exhaust valves on four of the engine’s eight cylinders during light load operation, such as highway cruising when full power is not needed.

- For the 2019 model year, the Interactive Deceleration Fuel Shut Off (iDFSO) feature that pauses fuel flow to the engine cylinders when the vehicle is decelerating is improved to be active in third gear and higher.

- The HEMI V-8 in the 2019 Ram 1500 benefits from a new 850-watt electric cooling fan using Pulse Width Modulation to tailor the fan’s energy draw to the cooling demand. Eliminating the traditional fan blade mounted to the front of the engine helps improve fuel economy by reducing parasitic losses and fan noise.

ram 8-speed auto 19.jpg

Transmissions

-          Every 2019 Ram 1500 is equipped with a fully electronic TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission with a wide spread of gear ratios that keeps engine rpm in the right range for the task – whether putting in a full day of off-road work or highway cruising. Trucks equipped with the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 use an FCA-produced TorqueFlite 850RE transmission. The 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 uses an upgraded TorqueFlite 8HP75 transmission. Both transmissions use a new generation of computer controllers that process data faster and coordinate transmission operation with the eTorque mild hybrid system. There are more than 40 individual shift maps to optimize shift changes and points for fuel economy, performance and drivability.

ram 19 transfer case.jpg

Transfer Cases, Axles, 4X4 Gear and Such

-          Upgraded for 2019 BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD are available in the 2019 Ram 1500. Both transfer cases engage via a push-button control center-mounted underneath the rotary gear selector on the instrument panel.

-          Three final drive ratios are available on 2WD and 4WD models – 3.21, 3.55 and 3.92. Each combination is available with a traditional open or limited-slip differential, which automatically divides torque among the rear wheels to maximize traction available at each wheel.

ram e diff.jpg

-           New for 2019 is an electronic locking differential, available on 4WD trucks with the 3.21 and 3.55 final drive ratio and lifted suspension, and 2WD and 4WD trucks with the 3.92 ratio with the base or lifted suspension (Rebel and 4x4 Off-road Package). The electronic system gives the driver the ability to lock or unlock the differential on demand, providing maximum traction to the vehicle when needed.

ram 19 rear diff.jpg
 - Also new for 2019 is a Max Tow Package, an option with the 3.92 final drive ratio offering up to 12,750 pounds of towing capability. The Max Tow Package is based around a Dana Super 60 center section and open differential with a 256-millimeter gear set, and uses 35-spline axle shafts. It is available on 2WD trucks powered by the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 with eTorque.

Drivetrain Electronic Gadgets

-          Heat exchanger system now includes industry-first thermal axle to quickly warm rear axle gear oil, maximizing axle during warm-up

-          Hill-descent Control

-          AdaptAdaptive Cruise Control with Stop, Go and Hold

-          Ready Alert Braking and Trailer-sway Damping control

-          LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus alerts and assist the driver with corrective action

-          ParkSense Parallel/Perpendicular Park and Hill-start Assist uses ultrasonic sensors to help the driver perform technical maneuvers

I'm unsure of their eTorque system.  Seems like a ghetto hybrid system.  I wonder if they are short on funds as the 5.7 has been around since 2003 and hasn't had a really big overhaul other than some power bumps.  Largely the same engine. 

36 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Electronic Locking Rear Diff?  4-8 cylinder deactivation?  adaptive cruise?  Wow.....talk about progress!  But hey....It's got sweet 10" infotainment thing in it!

FCA launched MDS (Multi Displacement System) or in GM speak AFM one year (2005) before GM (2006 Impala SS and Trailblazer 5.3).  E-Diff is a bigger change than the much debated G80 which is still in use. 

20 minutes ago, newdude said:

I'm unsure of their eTorque system.  Seems like a ghetto hybrid system.  I wonder if they are short on funds as the 5.7 has been around since 2003 and hasn't had a really big overhaul other than some power bumps.  Largely the same engine. 

FCA launched MDS (Multi Displacement System) or in GM speak AFM one year (2005) before GM (2006 Impala SS and Trailblazer 5.3).  E-Diff is a bigger change than the much debated G80 which is still in use. 

Actually GM speak was.......Modular displacement!  Also GM had Trailblazer and GMC Envoy in 2005 model year with what you refer to as DOD?  As is the case GM is seemingly last place?

GM paved the way_and lost its way_with innovative V8-6-4
Unfortunately, cylinder deactivation still carries a bit of stigma among some older drivers with long memories, and it stems from General Motors. At the time of the second national fuel crisis, in 1979, GM decided to manufacture an engine dubbed the V8-6-4. As its name suggests, this was essentially a V-8 engine, like many others in the GM lineup. Part of the time, though, either 2 or 4 of its cylinders could shut down, leaving either 4 or 6 in operation.

81-cadillac-fleetwoodbroughamcoupe-01f34.jpgDeveloped by the Eaton Corporation, the innovative variable-displacement (also called "modular-displacement") engine was standard in all 1981 Cadillacs except for the Seville bustleback sedan (which could have it as an option). Depending on driving conditions, the V8-6-4 would run on 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, switching from one mode to the other and back again as needed.

I spy some Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac, and Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires there.  A big improvement from their past Goodyear Wrangler HP and SR-A tires they have been installing.  Wonder if they'll carry over the Toyo Open Country ATII that they were using on the Rebels, or if that will be replaced by the Falken . . . . 

I drove a 2017 rental 1500 4 door recently. Giant 5 lug.

I like chrysler for being sarcastic in some ways to mechanical gurus.

did you know gm and chrysler shared the same starter for years?

when chrysler went huge on the 11 diode alternators for the mini van, the world got it.

anyway, I was very impressed in manual mode, assuming to see it count to 4.. but it kept the front end up all the way to gear 8 and 80mph.  No notice on the lack of sidewall and big wheels.. very nice ride.

No spongy feel in the gears, felt as direct as my 5 speed manual.

Even my 96 GMC interior dominated the 2017 chrysler 4 door. The roof material bounced. Creaking noises on the cold day we had it...

other than that. I'd do one.

On 1/23/2018 at 8:25 PM, i82much said:

does not sound earth shattering to me, but maybe for once fca decided to put their money into reliability engineering instead of designing front ends that look good with truck ballz.

that would be nice.  Their reliability has always sucked. 

On 1/23/2018 at 2:08 PM, newdude said:

Just to play devil's advocate-

GM has used the exact same system in several of their hybrids (including the Silverado) for several years. But with considerably less power. 

As has already been said, the cylinder shutdown is not new to Ram, the E-locker is vastly superior in my opinion to the G80 trash GM still uses and while the Hemi is long in the tooth, it makes way more power in either form than the 5.3 which is currently the weakest V8 you can buy aside from the 4.6 Toyota offers in the Tundra (that I think no one actually buys). 

I haven’t seen the so called reliability problems with the Ram people seemed to claim on here anymore than what the other brands have. My brother 2010 Ram has 180K on it. That’s now a shop truck, he bought a identical new one. His shop Forman also traded a 2010 high mileage Ram he traded for a 3/4 ton and the big Hemi. I could go on. I don’t think anyone makes junks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived