In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

Ram Reveals Fancy-Pants Tailgate - 60-40 Split Swingaway With Step

RM019_385FN6hg98cjctrdemr5nm9jnavd25n__mid.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2-6-2019

Ram revealed a new 60-40 swing away split tailgate this week. Ram wasted no time in throwing out a zinger to the GMC folks, saying,  "Unlike other multi-element tailgates, the Ram multifunction tailgate is trailer-friendly and does not require that the trailer and hitch be removed before opening." What Ram is apparently referring to is possible interference with the new GMC six-position MultiPro tailgate. Some owners have reported that the GMC tailgate can strike the trailer ball or the top of the trailer when it is dropped to its lowest position.

“The Ram multifunction tailgate is intuitive to operate and owners will find it immediately useful,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand – FCA. “Combined with Ram’s class-exclusive RamBox feature and new tailgate step, we’re taking Ram’s cargo management and storage to the next level.”

RM019_382FN12pqjiv431trqamnbo08ov4ck7__mid.jpg

Ram's new multifunction tailgate has four different configurations including:

Open flat

Open left door only

Open right door only

Open both doors.

RM019_383FNsjs3946jjk56oakdbihpt02kmt__mid.jpg

Each door swings open 88 degrees and access can be further enhanced via a retractable center-mounted step option.

RM019_379FNlt5cvspkeu2teq8j0aq5nnu8l3__mid.jpg

• Haha 1

Yeah....

Not that great. 

I can't see past the distracting off center line when its closed. 

No Thanks. 

• Like 3

Even after modifying the tongue jack on my travel trailer with a removable crank handle, my tailgate only misses it by about an inch when dropped. Even if the Ram gate would open it would be against the gas bottles.

I like it a lot.  Great for not having to reach over tailgate to pack and unpack stuff further up in bed. 

• Like 3

These days its all about easier bed access. so why not ?  I'm not a big fan of the step under the  bumper looks tacky but overall why ? Its a nice option to have . 

Is it fully removable from the bed?  Wonder what it's going to look like after a 2years of hardcore contractor use?  Misaligned,rattling, jamming...etc?  But who uses a RAM for hardcore contractor work anyway?  Sierra is Classy!

• Like 1

seems to me Dodge, GM and Ford are making tailgates for trucks so that Old Men and yuppies can get into the bed easier, and grab thier golf clubs or tennis racket... lol

• Like 3

Yup! It has to be a Ford then.

Can't haul a$$ with the RAM anymore.

haul ass.jpe

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like it better than GM's attempt.  I'd still prefer to just have the old tried and true tailgate though.  Pretty sure even with the current asinine tailgate prices, these new ones will bring asinine prices to a whole new level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I like it better than GM's attempt.  I'd still prefer to just have the old tried and true tailgate though.  Pretty sure even with the current asinine tailgate prices, these new ones will bring asinine prices to a whole new level.

Yeah probably like 5 grand replacement plus paint

• Sad 1

I definitely like it better than the GMC version....For what I use my truck for, its way more useful...

• Like 1