Gorehamj

Ram Reveals Fancy-Pants Tailgate - 60-40 Split Swingaway With Step

RM019_385FN6hg98cjctrdemr5nm9jnavd25n__mid.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2-6-2019

Ram revealed a new 60-40 swing away split tailgate this week. Ram wasted no time in throwing out a zinger to the GMC folks, saying,  "Unlike other multi-element tailgates, the Ram multifunction tailgate is trailer-friendly and does not require that the trailer and hitch be removed before opening." What Ram is apparently referring to is possible interference with the new GMC six-position MultiPro tailgate. Some owners have reported that the GMC tailgate can strike the trailer ball or the top of the trailer when it is dropped to its lowest position.

“The Ram multifunction tailgate is intuitive to operate and owners will find it immediately useful,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand – FCA. “Combined with Ram’s class-exclusive RamBox feature and new tailgate step, we’re taking Ram’s cargo management and storage to the next level.”

RM019_382FN12pqjiv431trqamnbo08ov4ck7__mid.jpg

Ram's new multifunction tailgate has four different configurations including:

Open flat

Open left door only

Open right door only

Open both doors.

RM019_383FNsjs3946jjk56oakdbihpt02kmt__mid.jpg

Each door swings open 88 degrees and access can be further enhanced via a retractable center-mounted step option.

RM019_379FNlt5cvspkeu2teq8j0aq5nnu8l3__mid.jpg

• Haha 1

Yeah....

Not that great. 

I can't see past the distracting off center line when its closed. 

No Thanks. 

• Like 3

Even after modifying the tongue jack on my travel trailer with a removable crank handle, my tailgate only misses it by about an inch when dropped. Even if the Ram gate would open it would be against the gas bottles.

Ish

I like it a lot.  Great for not having to reach over tailgate to pack and unpack stuff further up in bed. 

• Like 3

These days its all about easier bed access. so why not ?  I'm not a big fan of the step under the  bumper looks tacky but overall why ? Its a nice option to have . 

Is it fully removable from the bed?  Wonder what it's going to look like after a 2years of hardcore contractor use?  Misaligned,rattling, jamming...etc?  But who uses a RAM for hardcore contractor work anyway?  Sierra is Classy!

• Like 1

seems to me Dodge, GM and Ford are making tailgates for trucks so that Old Men and yuppies can get into the bed easier, and grab thier golf clubs or tennis racket... lol

• Like 3

Yup! It has to be a Ford then.

Can't haul a$$ with the RAM anymore.

haul ass.jpe

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like it better than GM's attempt.  I'd still prefer to just have the old tried and true tailgate though.  Pretty sure even with the current asinine tailgate prices, these new ones will bring asinine prices to a whole new level.

• Like 1

Nice attempt kinda late to the party.

7 hours ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I like it better than GM's attempt.  I'd still prefer to just have the old tried and true tailgate though.  Pretty sure even with the current asinine tailgate prices, these new ones will bring asinine prices to a whole new level.

Yeah probably like 5 grand replacement plus paint

• Sad 1

I definitely like it better than the GMC version....For what I use my truck for, its way more useful...

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-11-2019
      Ram revealed the specs for its updated EcoDiesel V6 engine in the 1500 this week. The big news is 480 ft-lb of torque in a light-duty truck. Towing is also very impressive with towing up to 12,560 pounds. Finally, Ram says that it expects to also have class-leading fuel economy from its 3.0-liter turbo-diesel engine-equipped truck. 

"The new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, following up on Ram’s Heavy Duty torque leadership and achieving what no other manufacturer has, with up to 480 lb.-ft. of torque in a 3.0-liter engine,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. “The all-new EcoDiesel engine and our eTorque mild-hybrid powertrain technologies deliver the highest available fuel efficiency for our Ram 1500 customers.”

Ram says it will also pair its diesel with the only air suspension in the class. Being able to lower the truck at highway speeds will likely help with fuel efficiency.  Ram's new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast compacted graphite iron, which Ram says provides strength to dampen vibrations, but weighs less than grey cast iron. Ram uses a compacted graphite iron bedplate to add rigidity to the block. The new EcoDiesel has a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability. Ram's aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads have individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The engine's chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.

Ram pointed to these specific upgrades as significant: 
      -A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions
      -Redesigned cylinder head intake ports improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
      -The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system design has been updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses, which increases fuel economy
      -The compression ratio has been optimized to 16.0:1 from 16.5:1
      -High-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles were redesigned to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber
      -Lightweight aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned to include thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce losses
      -NVH has been reduced by offsetting piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline; thus, minimizing mechanical noises
      -The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that further reduces NVH
      -The dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump with new blades that improve overall system efficiency

Ram will not build this engine in the United States. Rather, it will be produced FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy and imported. Watch for price and fuel efficiency new in about two months. The engine will be available in Ram trucks starting this early winter of 2019 unless it is delayed for emissions testing or other reasons. 

• By BlancoSilverado
      Hello,
      I purchased my truck a few months ago and most of the time i need to press the button 2-5 times to drop my tailgate without any help. With a little (and i mean 5 lbs) of pulling while pressing the button it works most of the time, even then i might have to press it twice. The truck is a new body 2019 Silverado LT 4x4. It started doing this day one, i thought it might just need to work in/break in and it did not.
      Is anyone else having this issue?
      If so do you know how to fix it?
       I have tried with the vehicle on level ground and even then it does not work all the time also i tried it on grounds where the front is up a few inches and i would still have to press at least twice. Every 50 times or so it will go down with one press. 

Any help will be appreciated.

• By DodgerDave
      I have received a small dimple on my 2 month old Denali Tailgate.  It appears to be plastic.   No paint damage, just a small dimple.  I had a few shops look at it, and they didn't want to touch it.   I was going to hit it with a heat gun and press it out, but not sure about that.  I was hoping I was not the first one to have this issue.

Its over towards the right, just by the reverse light.

• By Jimmyc!
      Is there any preventative maintenance that can be done with the tailgate latch? Mine ‘18 seems to be getting a little tough to open and although it’s under warranty I thought if I could lube, grease, silicone, spit on, or whatever it takes to loosen it up it’d be nice.

Thank you for your consideration and as a side note I will not be having a garage sale this weekend.