2019 GMC Sierra - Focus On Tailgate and Cargo Box

Gorehamj

Tailgate seems to fix problems no one I know have every had. Seems like nothing but a gimmick to me.

I mentioned in another thread but as far as I know carbon fiber isn't repairable. I use some carbon fiber equipment at work and if cracked it needs to be replaced. There will be some big repair (replace) bills if they get damaged

• Sad 1

On 3/4/2018 at 8:19 PM, 2Speed said:

If you go to the GMC site for the new Sierra-  http://www.gmc.com/trucks/2019-sierra-1500-pickup-truck - on the 360 view area, you can drop the tailgate and see it lines up with the hitch receiver.  I sure looks like it would smack right into the hitch if you left it in. Sure hope there is a safety lockout of some type. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of dented fancy tailgates.

Yep confirmed does not work with hitch installed...

3 minutes ago, AgDoctor said:

Garbage feature for hipsters to play Nintendo Switch on and tailgate at college football games

I don't think it's garbage.
I'm working in the concrete cutting industry and once in a while I have to haul some gear around.

Most of it is heavy and awkward to handle. I can certainly see the advantage of the little drop down when putting tools in the box or taking them out.

What I hope for is that this is not just some option restricted to higher trim levels. It wouldn't make sense anyway. Because most of the guys who are using their truck for actual work don't buy a Denali or SLT or so...

so long

j-ten-ner

3 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I'm working in the concrete cutting industry and once in a while I have to haul some gear around.

Most of it is heavy and awkward to handle. I can certainly see the advantage of the little drop down when putting tools in the box or taking them out.

What I hope for is that this is not just some option restricted to higher trim levels. It wouldn't make sense anyway. Because most of the guys who are using their truck for actual work don't buy a Denali or SLT or so...

so long

j-ten-ner

Not around here.  I see Denali's all over the place as farm trucks beat all to heck.  Makes one wonder why they buy such and expensive vehicle and then abuse it like that.

• Like 1

so long
j-ten-ner

I too use alot of gear. I'm an Agronomist and carry a laptop, iPad, drone, scales for weighing and measuring, several types of probes...you get the picture; I am constantly using my truck bed as a portable office. I would hate to know that I could damage my tailgate on a hitch. To me it looks bad, functions cool but poorly designed for truck use(most of us leave our hitches installed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just bought a 2019 Denali with the multi pro tailgate....Here is my take on the gate

I had to load shingles on the bed, dropped the centre tailgate , Fantastic feature for the back...Shingles are heavy and cannot be slid easily

Want to have lunch?  Great feature to have a step to rest your feet on while your eating lunch...love it !!

The pull up handle...so far ..unless your crippled in some way ..don't ever use. and if you use it you have to fold it in to close the tailgate

I have keyless entry that i really like for the doors.. but really irritates me that you cannot leave the rear tailgate unlocked when your working without overriding all doors to leave the tailgate accessible. This is very bad when you want people to access your tools etc when your working but don't want them in your cab.    The GM engineers came up with the idea that the main tailgate has to be down before lowering the second tailgate which will  "I assume" to minimize the damage to the rear cameras and tailgate when you have a hitch in the receiver.   There is also a part in the manual not to leave hitch in when lowering the centre tailgate.  I called GM to see if there is a hitch that would fit to eliminate the very realistic chance that the tailgate would be damaged.    Their answer was" do not leave a hitch in the receiver" .   So,  GM knows that risk is there but their engineers couldn't figure this out .  Amazing isn't it?    Guys  I been driving a Silverado over 30 years ..first GM because i hate the redesign of the new style 2019 Silverado.   If your like me and you trailer with this truck .. YOU WILL !!! DESTROY !!   the centre tailgate camera   ....unless you can remember 100 % if the time to remove the hitch...  I know i won't ..how about you?