GMC Yukon XL 22’ wheels now it rides rougher

50 minutes ago, Goat boy said:

Would it smooth out the ride with a less aggressive tread pattern?

Not likely.  Pressures is about all you can adjust.  Sidewall stiffness may vary a bit from tire model to tire model within the same size, but really, not that much in street tires.  If comfort was the idea behind the change, you went the wrong way.  You can either put the 20s back on, or live with the 22s.  It's the price of bada$$.

Edited by Mike GMC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goat boy said:

Would it smooth out the ride with a less aggressive tread pattern?

Maybe very slightly, and may not be that noticeable.  22" wheels leave you with shorter stiffer sidewalls to work with.  If you're looking to stay with 22's, and looking to improve the ride, you'll most likely need to go up in overall size of tires.  However as you go up in sizes you may find most choices are LT tires and not P rated tires.  LT tires typically are made for heavier loading and therefore run stiffer than P-rated tires.  

Another option is to run at a little lower air pressure.  You'll soften the tire some by doing that.  HOWEVER!!!  With 22's you then run the risk of damaging your rims more easily.  22's already have more risk of rim damage due to the shorter sidewalls, lowering your air pressure increases that risk.  

22's can look nice, but that look often comes at the expense of ride quality.  If overall diameter of tires are the same 20's ride better than 22's.  18" wheels ride smoother than 20's.   

Went to different tire shop front wheels were both off by a 1.3oz and 0.7oz each. They also found one of the weights taped on with rolled duct tape! Lowered pressure to 35psi. Drastic improvement! Will it pass the wife test? 

TBD......

• Like 1

Goat you may need to do a wrap to distract her from the rougher ride? Check out these dawg pics on a ride. Maybe she is a cat person? but you get the picture.  post-127028-0-94607300-1499387106_thumb.jpg  

• Like 2

Went to different tire shop front wheels were both off by a 1.3oz and 0.7oz each. They also found one of the weights taped on with rolled duct tape! Lowered pressure to 35psi. Drastic improvement! Will it pass the wife test? 

TBD......

Duct tape? Safe to say you should never go back there again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 3/20/2018 at 8:00 PM, Goat boy said:

TBD......

Reason the front tires were off is because the weights that were held on with electrical tape had already been slung off.

I went form 20's to 22's and it is no harsher. I have Michelins though and they have a softer sidewall. I also run 35 PSI.  Does the Nitto require 45 psi?? When I came back from the tire shop recently with my wifes car it rode terrible all the way home with brand new Michelins which are a quiet compliant tire. I checked the pressure and I had 45 psi on one tire and in the 50's on the other 3!!!!! Adjusted to the proper PSI and it was a whole new car! When they seat the bead they often dont lower and set proper psi. 45 may be your max tire pressure but not your cold proper PSI. I only run the max tires pressure in rear when towing. 

Everyone always screams about 18's, 20's then 22's progressivly being very harsh. Is an 18 softer than a 22? Yes. But it's not earth shattering if you have a good tire and proper tire pressure. Also I live where it's flat and smooth most everywhere so it's only a little firmer, (actually handles better) if you live in a city or area with potholes 22's can be an issue. Michelin Defender LTX are the bomb!

Looks good!

As they say "better to look good than feel good!!"LOL

IMG_8589.JPG

Edited by seamus2154

Well, I tossed the G2’s and (she) is riding on a brand new set of Michelin LTX. Feels like butter to me, roads are not great in my area and the wife did just get out of a full size Range Rover so, it’s whole new world! Love the size, technology is tip top. It’s just a different truck. It will become the new normal. It looks kick ass with the 22’s no denying that fact.

Awesome!! Looks great! This is my 4th truck in this platform 2 regular and 2 magnetic suspension, and all have had some issue, but all had tire issues. These trucks have a tuned tight suspension. It was to reduce rollovers I was told. Either way they are very tire sensitive on some of them. I have had the Goodyears, Bridgestones, and Continentals. Conti's were ok but the other two were horrible! My last Denali and this 17' were transformed with Michelin defenders.  It solved my vibrations and are much more compliant and comfortable. The only issue I will say is when towing. The sidewall is a little softer (why its comfortable) and I get a little sway, so I run 44 psi (the max) in the rear tires which helps a lot. But otherwise they are great. Great in the rain too. 

Good luck

Jim

I have OEM 22" P285/45R22 all-terrain, Bridgestone  tires on my Sierra Denali 1500.  Does not ride any worse IMO than my 2015 did with OEM 20" P275/55R20 all-season.  

Some tires brands do ride much worse than others.   

I have OEM 22" P285/45R22 all-terrain, Bridgestone  tires on my Sierra Denali 1500.  Does not ride any worse IMO than my 2015 did with OEM 20" P275/55R20 all-season.  

The factory duelers they come with 22’s are great tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 2018-03-24 at 10:14 PM, elcamino said:

Curious what pressure you are running in those? Thanks!