What Are Your Thoughts On the All-New 2019 Chevrolet Blazer Crossover/SUV

Gorehamj

ChevyBlazerReveal07.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-22-2018

Chevrolet revealed its 2019 mid-sized Blazer crossover/SUV last night. The new five-passenger vehicle will be bigger than an Equinox, but smaller than a Traverse. What may be the Blazer’s most defining element is its looks. “The Blazer has attitude,” said John Cafaro, executive director, Global Chevrolet Design. “It looks commanding on the road, while fulfilling the promise of versatility at the heart of every Chevy crossover and SUV.”

ChevyBlazerReveal01.jpgChevyBlazerReveal10.jpg

Drivetrains:
The new Blazer will launch with two drivetrains Colorado fans will recognize. GM’s 2.5L I-4 will be the standard engine and the 3.6L V-6 engine will be optional, each mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission. There was no mention by Chevy of the new four-cylinder gasoline turbo or any diesel options. “The Chevrolet Blazer is more than just good looks,” said Waqar Hashim, Blazer chief engineer. “Both the Ecotec® 2.5L four-cylinder engine and 3.6L V-6 engine are paired to Chevrolet’s nine-speed automatic transmission, providing drivers a great balance between performance and efficiency.”

2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-006.jpg

Specs:
GM says that the new Blazer will tow up to 4,500 pounds. Cargo area, with the rear seats folded, will be 64.2 cubic feet. By comparison, a Honda CR-V has 76 cubic feet and a Mazda CX-5 60 cubic feet. GM didn’t offer any interior passenger volume numbers, but we question if the Blazer is really “mid-sized.” GM appears to be targeting the segment in which the Murano and Ford Edge reside with this new crossover. The Blazer is a unibody design and shares its platform with the GMC Acadia. 

2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-007.jpg
Trims:
GM plans to give the various trims distinct personalities. GM says there will be “additional bright chrome on the Premier trim and a more sinister-looking, blacked-out appearance for the Blazer RS.”

Technology:
GM listed the following technology highlights for the new Blazer:
-Hitch Guidance — Available on models with the 3.6L engine, it aids in aligning the Blazer’s hitch to a trailer by showing the center line on the rear-vision camera.
-Hitch View — This available feature complements Hitch Guidance by showing a top-down view, making it easier to hitch a trailer without a second person to assist.
-Electronic-locking glove box — A Chevy first, it offers added storage security, and is roomy enough to fit a small handbag. The glove box is locked with the vehicle’s Valet Mode, which is accessible through the Settings menu.
-Automatic heated steering wheel and automatic heated/ventilated front seats — These available features work with Remote Start and/or automatic climate control to automatically adjust temperature to help maintain comfort.
-Comfort-open windows — Activated by the key fob, this feature allows all windows to roll down to help heat escape before occupants enter the vehicle.
-Heated outboard rear seats are available on RS and standard on Premier.
-Adaptive Cruise Control and Rear Camera Mirror are available on RS and Premier2.
-Hands-free power liftgate with Bowtie logo projection is standard on RS and Premier.
-Wireless charging and six USB ports are available.

ChevyBlazerReveal08.jpg

Manufacturing Location:
The 2019 Chevrolet Blazer will be built in Mexico. Terry Dittes, UAW vice president and director to the UAW-GM department issued a press statement as the Chevrolet Blazer launch concluded, saying “This news that the iconic Blazer nameplate will be built in Mexico is disappointing to UAW families and communities across this country," Dittes said. "GM employs over 15,000 production workers in Mexico, pays the workers less than $3 per hour and exports over 80 percent of the vehicles to the U.S. to sell here.”

Timing:
The new Blazer will go on sale in early 2019. Pricing has not been announced.

2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-005.jpg

• Sad 1

I like it...and it pretty much looks good only in RS trim...but I'm struggling to see why this exists?  This should have been the Equinox.  It looks sized like the old Equinox.  Hell, it looks smaller than the new smaller Acadia.  Its cargo cubic footage is only one cubic foot larger than the new Equinox.  I think its the right product, wrong name. 

And whats with the Built in Mexico?  Can't Spring Hill handle more capacity?  They already build the Blazer's platform mates, the Acadia and the XT5.  If Spring Hill couldn't, then why not give it to Oshawa to breath more life in that place?  Oshawa is the king of GM's Flex Line (different platform cars rolling down the same assembly line). 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 6

I agree with “right product wrong name.” This is not a “Blazer” it is a small family crossover. Naming it such is a sad attempt to gain more attention around the vehicle, and dishonors the old capable Blazer.  Other than the name the RS model does look very nice.

• Like 7

I like it...and it pretty much looks good only in RS trim...but I'm struggling to see why this exists?  This should have been the Equinox.  It looks sized like the old Equinox.  Hell, it looks smaller than the new smaller Acadia.  Its cargo cubic footage is only one cubic foot larger than the new Equinox.  I think its the right product, wrong name. 

And whats with the Built in Mexico?  Can't Spring Hill handle more capacity?  They already build the Blazer's platform mates, the Acadia and the XT5.  If Spring Hill couldn't, then why not give it to Oshawa to breath more life in that place?  Oshawa is the king of GM's Flex Line (different platform cars rolling down the same assembly line). 

More than likely, Spring Hill is at capacity running Acadias and XT5s; and I believe Oshawa is at capacity building Equinoxes and it’s platform mates as well. And because they are sending Truck production to both Fort Wayne and Flint from Mexico, it gives the Mexican plant something to build. And now my reaction to the Blazer name being brought back:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, looks like an equinox. They should have changed it up more and went with the square look, more so of how the silverado is versus the equinox. Also, it's a Blazer, give it the 5.3 option. Not going to be much competition for the Bronco with this as the other option. 

• Like 1

I'm dissappointed, this was a good opportunity to go for a more heritage styling, instead it looks like a mazda cx5. Waste of the Blazer nameplate on another anonymous crossover with nothing to set it apart from any of the other very similar vehicles in an already flooded marked segment. weak sauce.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, truckofwinandawesome said:

More than likely, Spring Hill is at capacity running Acadias and XT5s; and I believe Oshawa is at capacity building Equinoxes and it’s platform mates as well. And because they are sending Truck production to both Fort Wayne and Flint from Mexico, it gives the Mexican plant something to build. And now my reaction to the Blazer name being brought back:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oshawa stopped final assembly of Equinox after 2017, but that line got tooled for Silverado/Sierra final assembly.  CAMI used to send Equinox to Oshawa for final assembly, and that line that built them (Consolidated Line) used to handle the Impala Limited as well.  CAMI (Ingersoll) and Ramos Arizpe handle Equinox.  Oshawa does XTS and Impala and the trucks, that's it.  The Flex Line (XTS/Impala) used to handle Regal and Camaro before those got shuffled around. 

http://media.gm.com/Facilities/public/ca/en/oshawa/news.html

And Oshawa is one of GM's best plants.  I'd love to see them get more product and keep the lights on longer. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 4

Looks too much like just any other SUV.  Oh well.  I was hoping it would copy the Colorado looks and build style closer.  THAT would be an awesome looking SUV.  They probably didn't do that because of the feature set.  This one has way more features than does the Colorado line as of yet.  So less need to re-engineer parts and design.  Modern business as it is...

Edited by Nargg

5 hours ago, cr250Silverado said:

I agree with “right product wrong name.” This is not a “Blazer” it is a small family crossover. Naming it such is a sad attempt to gain more attention around the vehicle, and dishonors the old capable Blazer.  Other than the name the RS model does look very nice.

I agree. They mention that is supposed to be a competitor to the Jeep. This thing has an AWD option and no true 4x4 option so tell me how that "competes"?? It seems GM is more content with simply being a competitor than kicking everyone else's ass like they used to be. If this was the case, they would have had an true off road  4x4 option and an LSA powered SS option to compete with the SRT and Track hawk... I would imagine the weight savings would more than make up for the lower HP of the LSA...  Reviving the Blazer was Chevys chance to get it right and sadly they pussed out and completely missed the mark

• Like 1