My first new vehicle ever. I saved for a long time to be able to afford the truck I always wanted. 

Purchased March 2018

I take pride in my vehicles and possessions, take good care of them, park in bfe. Make sure to be within parking lines, not park next to beaters. 

Since purchasing my truck:

Bent rear bumper in parking lot accident. Both me and older gentleman were backing out at same time. He called it in, didn’t claim any damage to his truck but wanted to get my bumper fixed. 

Insurance says 50/50 fault and factoring in half my copay I get $800 -250 copay for $1200 estimate. Just living with tweaked bumper for now. 

Like a good neighbor my a$$

Detailing truck and find a dime sized ding in roof. Paint is ok but something must have impacted at some point. Wow is the metal thin up there. Just leaning on it to wipe dry is all wavy and could leave elbow dimples if not careful. 

washing truck today and notice nice deep scratch on passenger rear door. No paint marks from other car so maybe someone walking by with purse or, janitor keys? Good news is it’s only in the clear but deep enough it catches your fingernail. 

Truck is barely 3 months old!

How do ya’ll deal with this? Don’t sweat the small stuff? Accept most people don’t give a F and always be on the lookout? Don’t drive your truck?

I planned on keeping this forever but maybe I wouldn’t be so upset if I traded / upgraded every few years like some. 

Edited by 2009GMC

My first new vehicle ever. I saved for a long time to be able to afford the truck I always wanted. 

Purchased March 2018

I take pride in my vehicles and possessions, take good care of them, park in bfe. Make sure to be within parking lines, not park next to beaters. 

Since purchasing my truck:

Bent rear bumper in parking lot accident. Both me and older gentleman were backing out at same time. He called it in, didn’t claim any damage to his truck but wanted to get my bumper fixed. 

Insurance says 50/50 fault and factoring in half my copay I get $800 -250 copay for $1200 estimate. Just living with tweaked bumper for now. 

Like a good neighbor my a$$

Detailing truck and find a dime sized ding in roof. Paint is ok but something must have impacted at some point. Wow is the metal thin up there. Just leaning on it to wipe dry is all wavy and could leave elbow dimples if not careful. 

washing truck today and notice nice deep scratch on passenger rear door. No paint marks from other car so maybe someone walking by with purse or, janitor keys? Good news is it’s only in the clear but deep enough it catches your fingernail. 

Truck is barely 3 months old!

How do ya’ll deal with this? Don’t sweat the small stuff? Accept most people don’t give a F and always be on the lookout? Don’t drive your truck?

I planned on keeping this forever but maybe I wouldn’t be so upset if I traded / upgraded every few years like some. 

Typical BS large SUV and truck drivers have to deal with daily. Congrats on your new purchase, sorry to hear about bad things happening when you’re trying to be a responsible truck owner. Don’t sweat it, bumpers are typically replaced by aftermarket a few years later or sooner depending on the owner, roof dent could’ve been anything especially while parked not far away from tree or roof line, scratches....well, scratched paint is taken more personal but even though we all feel your pain, you’re not alone brother, all these things are easily fixed.
On another note, I purchased a 5 yr wheel, dent and scratch insurance for $1K when I bought my truck, 7 months later haven’t used it (knock on wood) but I’ve got it, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have my deepest sympathy.  After 4 claims in 5 months, 3 only paint deep and the 4th a slightly bent bumper, my insurance threatened to cancel me.  2 were comprehensive (weather and vandalism), one collision and the last one I was rear ended at a red light.  Then collision was flying road debris thrown up by a passing big rig.  None of them was my fault or within my control.  Fortunately, now, one year later nothing else has hit me.  I had 140k on my 03 Silverado when I sent it away with my son 8 years ago.  He is up to 190k on it.  I would like to put the 190k on this one all by myself.  Better luck to you in the future.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully this is it for bs happening. But I said that after the first bumper bender and $hit keeps happening!

TXGREEK - I didn’t know about the dent and scratch coverage. Guessing that’s a dealer thing. Something I probably would have passed on but now could have used!!!

DanG - Wow sorry to hear about all that. Isn’t insurance great? They are happy collecting your money for years and years but when you need them it’s another story. Good luck to you as well!

It sure is!! I call it the new car curse. The first day parking at work someone slammed their door into mine. Then a month later a retread came over the freeway wall and screwed up my hood, windshield and roof. Luckily AAA is awesome and took care of it for me. Letting me apply the rental coverage I didn't need towards my deductible.

The same thing happened with our other brand new car. Within two months it was sideswiped and in the body shop. I don't think I'll buy anything new again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GM paint historically flakes off from simple nearby flatulence. There is also this cute trick they pull where the undercoating will always wildly contrast with the top coat to make sure people see the scratches. My white Corvette showed black under a scratch and the blue truck shows white. Quaint.

Just wait till chicks start throwing their finger nails into the area behind the door handle since they are unable to open a door with out fully thrusting their hands forward first.

Edited by Epsilon Plus
  • Like 1

The first dings always hurt, but it gets easier as time goes on...with that being said I can't forget 2014- the first 2 months of my new Sierra...

-Parked in back of parking lot ALL ALONE, someone parked next to me and smoked the passenger door leaving a nice big dent.

-One night in the garage a metal rake falls off the wall and a 1/8" wide x 6" long scratch down the door (you could hang off this rake on the hook- no idea to this day how that happened)

-One week later...I get rear ended in the car wash, guy behind me didn't put his Escalade in neutral.

It bothers me just thinking about it, I take pride in keeping my cars clean- a new rear bumper, paint less dent removal and a really good touch up job and I was the only one who ever knew.

my dad's 2015 sierra slt duramax had the windshield replaced (huge stone chip that spread two ways across the windshield), driver door/rear driver door/taillight/driver side box/driver tow mirror all replaced/painted from a deer that wiped out the entire side of his truck, and the driver side window (rock thrown and shattered his side window) all within the first 10,000 km of brand new. I think his truck spent more time in the autobody than in his garage for the first year.

Edited by gforce_15

I feel like the more you take care of your truck the more dings and scratches occur. Don't get me wrong I take care of my truck but I'm also aware that dings will happen whether you like it or not. 18 months into ownership and most major thing is a rock chips on windshield but got it fixed through my insurance(AAA)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Oh boy. Hope this is t considered a double post, but I just got rear ended in my one month old truck. I was going in next week. To have them fix a paint bubble in the door. I got bigger issues now. 

First new truck I ever bought was like that.  I think it was a month old when the front windshield shattered and it went on from there. 

Normally when I have a few things add up, I just tackle it all at once.  About every 3 years it seems (if I keep one that long).  My wife takes great care of her cars, but with 3 kids and where she parks there will be scuffs, dents, dings, torn door seal, leather seat wear, broken plastic something here and there.  I bite the bullet, make it look like new and keep on trucking!  We always get top retail price when we sell but it takes some effort and money along the way.   

At least you care about it.   I just can't fathom some of the vehicles I see in my shop....less than 5 years old and less than 100k looking like death.  Heck I've seen junkers with 30-40k, and these people complain about the cost of a car.  Well if you take care of them you won't need, or feel the need for a new one.  

Edited by Leevon

We drive our vehicles for a long time.

My last truck over 20 years.

I do overboard maintenance inside and out.

When I was looking to replace my last truck I looked at trucks that were 3 or 4 years old in worse shape than my 1993.

:)