In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I recently bought a used 2016 Sierra Denali 5.3L 4x4 in March with 48k miles. Truck has been great until yesterday (now 52k miles) when I ease into the gas it shudders and shakes like crazy until i punch it. The tach is bouncing up and down and it doesn't matter if it's in v8 or v4. It almost feels like it's a misfire but it's weird that it only does it when I'm easing into the throttle or going uphill. The truck has the 8 speed transmission. Has anyone else ran into something like this and would the manufacturer warranty cover the fix for this?

I have the 4.3 V6 and it does the same exact thing. I know a guy with a brand new 2017 with 18k miles and it does the same as well. C'mon Chevy ! Been makin trucks for decades and you mean to tell me you can't make a truck that doesn't do things like this? 

Edited by LuckySOB

Use the search and put in "gas pedal flex solution". There is a long thread on symptoms and solutions. Easy fix.

Edited by DONWT15

23 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

Use the search and put in "gas pedal flex solution". There is a long thread on symptoms and solutions. Easy fix.

I checked it out but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the issue with mine.

Take it to a dealer to get it checked. You should have some power train warranty left at 52k.

Sorry I dont have the exact details right now for you because Im at work, but there is a bulletin for the transmission to be flushed 3 times and be refilled with synthetic.  Had the same symptoms (always around 14-1600 rpms) and this was a temporary fix for about 10,000 miles.  Thats my guess if you have the 8 speed.

Wow i havent been on this site in a long time.  My sig pic is waaaay outdated.  I have a 2015 Denali 6.2L now

Edited by jwieps

You are experiencing the torque converter shudder, pretty common apparently, my 16 has or had it and the only fix they will do is change the fluid in the trans once and that is it for now. For me I felt like I was running over rumble strips when I lightly accelerated. Mine hasn't come back as of now. Apparently there is a more permanent fix coming first quarter 2019. 

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: took it to the dealer and they said it is a pretty common issue with the type of ATF fluid that GM used in these trucks causing the torque converter to shudder. They changed the transmission fluid and it seems to have fixed the problem.

• Thanks 1

Today i purchased a beautiful 2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2 ALL TERAIN pickup.

After leaving dealership with it.

It began to have a VIBRATION with Acceleration.

Is there a permanent fix for this.

Torque converter shutter.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ronzo said:

Today i purchased a beautiful 2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2 ALL TERAIN pickup.

After leaving dealership with it.

It began to have a VIBRATION with Acceleration.

Is there a permanent fix for this.

Torque converter shutter.

I actually have the same issue. Always and only when either accelerating LIGHTLY or going uphill with low power. As soon as I gun it and it it winds up to higher gears it goes away. Has never happened while not accelerating so I know it's not my 22s being unbalanced or anything like that.

And it actually comes and goes. Some days I don't notice it. Other days it shudders and the steering wheel shakes like I'm driving over rumble strips while trying to drive lightly (driving slower to conserve MPG)

Dropped mine at the GMC dealers.

They flushed the Transmission and the Torque converter.  

Replaced fluid with Mobile 1  ATF Transmission fluid. 

The shuttering went away and truck now drives perfect.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By CamCa$e
      I have a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT that I just bought and I am looking to hookup an after market subwoofer and amp but I like the stock dash look so I don't want to replace the stock radio (which would make this process a lot easier). Would I just replace the stock sub and amp and splice into the current wires? Could I keep the stock sub and amp also while connecting new sub and amp? Does the stock radio have RCA connectors in the back that I can connect too?

In a perfect world I would be able to add a new sub and amp without replacing the stock sub and amp and still have a high quality sound system without using RCA plugs since I do not think they come on the back of the stock radio.
    • By Seapacer2
      Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at adding a couple of cameras to my 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali.  These trucks can be difficult to pull into parking spaces and lots, especially if they are smaller.  I just recently raised the front end about 2-3 inches, this has made parking a even bigger challenge.    Yes, when parking I try to back into most of the parking spaces, but sometimes that option isn't available.

The system I have been looking at is from Echomaster, this system is listed under GM accessories and is labeled Intellihaul.  The multi-camera system comes complete with a interface module, wiring, two (2) cameras that are mounted within a black mirror trim piece that attaches to the bottom of the mirror.  The trim level on my Denali comes with trailer towing mirrors that are all chrome, and I really didn't want to substitute the lower black trim pieces in place of the chrome.   I have seen one and it didn't look that good, on the all black mirrors they look OK (Just my preference). 

Echomaster has just recently released a new 3rd brake lamp camera that has three (3) different viewing angles within a single camera,  a right 95 degree,  a left 95 degree and a rear 90 degree.  Then all I would have to do is add the front facing camera.  In this arrangment, I would have to utilize a multi-camera module, this module is complete with wiring harness, bracket and OEM interface jumper cable.  However, the new released 3rd brake lamp camera only has one (1) video output.  I would have to hard wire 3 more input triggers to make this function correctly, the left and right turn signals and reverse triggers.  To operate on the OEM radio screen, I would have to depress the "back" button for three (3) seconds until the camera icons appeared on the screen. This would give me the rear cargo area.   To view both the blind spot camera views, I would have to cycle the left or right turn signal depending on which camera I want to view.  I would also have a front facing camera installed in the grill area, which would assist in parking manuevers.  In this setup, I still would have full operation of the OEM backup camera when in reverse.  I think this would be a good option and give me what I was looking for. 

When I talked to the tech assistance at GM this afternoon, he said that the system would be awkward to operate. I would like something that is plug-n-play, a system that I didn't have to rely on to take to dealer to program the radio, BCM or any other related modules. 

What is everyone doing about adding cameras to your truck, what sytem and options have you looked at and/or are utilizing?

Do you like your truck with the camera addition? 

What are your thoughts?      

Thanks,

• By Black02Silverado
      Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone is interested in trying AMSOIL's ATL in their 8sp transmissions that are having the shudder issues.  If you are, PM me your address and I can get you a discounted quote delivered to your door for 16qts.  That's basically the amount needed to do a fluid exchange.  Thank you.
    • By Jweave
      It feels like a dumb question but me and my friend want to turbo my 2002 gmc envoy slt, it's a 4.2l in-line 6 with all stock internals I'm not sure how strong the factory internals are on that engine and we want to know what we should replace if we even have to. I was thinking lower compression pistons, rods and bearings. Anything I'm missing? 
    • By Andy Brown
      I apologize for the novel, but here we go!

Alright, so 2011 Tahoe 5.3 LMG Flex vin 0, 158k miles, never given me any issues ever before.

Drove it up on ramps last night to get under it to just check everything before I tow a trailer over the weekend. All fine and dandy.

Go to start it to back off of the ramps-dash and running lighter all turn on. Turn the key to ignition and....nothing. If I try to remote start it, I just get an electronic noise.
      Took the starter off last night and tested it multiple times at my work (advance auto) and my starter was super dead. Sweet, found my issue, right? Got a new starter. Put it on. Still no crank. No click. No nothing except everything else on the truck acts like it normally would when you turn the key.

I checked connection between the positive terminal on battery and the starter with a multimeter -just fine.
      My battery is perfectly fine. Tested it multiple times now. Have a charger. Made sure it's fully charged. Double and triple checked.
      Looked at all the applicable fuses I can think ofand swapped the starter relay with the ac relay (they are identical) and it changed nothing.

This then led me to believe maybe the ignition switch in the steering column was bad. Put a new one in today. Same exact issue. It changed absolutely nothing. Everything turns on but no crank and no relay sounds or anything.
      Almost thinking that something isn't sending the signal to the little wire connector that is on the starter selenoid (attached to the starter). But I feel like I've checked everything that could block that.
      I'm running out of ideas and I NEED (super awesome timing!) this truck to move from Lincoln to Omaha starting tomorrow 😕 ugh
      Was wondering if putting 12v constant to that little plug wire on the starter solenoid may skip whatever is not sending the signal, which I guess would just confirm that there's no signal. I dunno. 8+hours into this so far. First time this truck has ever given me issues in 158k miles.

Also, no, it will not start in neutral.

Any tips would be awesome!