Ok so long story short I found a big oil puddle in my driveway after parking my 14 Sierra with the 5.3. The dealer I took it to said the rear main seal blew and the cause was the combination of cold temperatures and the oil catch can that I put on the vehicle. I installed the elite engineering e2 can with one way check valve. Has anyone else had this issue? They're telling me since I put that system on it voids the warranty and I have to pay for the rear main needless to say I'm pretty pissed

Sorry that happened. Whether or not the dealer is right, you're on the hook.

Let the sh!t show begin. Of course, Elite is going to say their catch can didn't cause it, couldn't cause it. Dealership is going to say, you're paying for it. And everyone on here is going to give their opinion. You're still going to be on the hook... Good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have two questions. One; how long was the can installed and two; why did you leave the can on if you had that kind of failure? They are so easy to remove and if removed, there is no way they could blame the catch can...

2 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I have two questions. One; how long was the can installed and two; why did you leave the can on if you had that kind of failure? They are so easy to remove and if removed, there is no way they could blame the catch can...

The can has been on less than a year I'd say 8 months max. And as soon as the I saw the oil leak it went to the dealer and they said the can was the cause. It's still there now and will be taken off before it leaves the dealer. From what I gathered on a Google search this isn't a first time deal there's been a few people with this same problem and cause. And just to throw this out there I had almost exactly 2,000 miles on it since the last time I emptied the can

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Requires the dealer/manufacture PROVE it caused the failure. Retaining a lawyer will usually resolve the fuss. Their bluff is that you wont. And yes you shouldn't have to but …….

A dealer can not simply state his belief as a fact and make that stick. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, imiller1974 said:

Sorry that happened. Whether or not the dealer is right, you're on the hook.

Let the sh!t show begin. Of course, Elite is going to say their catch can didn't cause it, couldn't cause it. Dealership is going to say, you're paying for it. And everyone on here is going to give their opinion. You're still going to be on the hook... Good luck. 

^^^ What he said ^^^
This is the same reason I am not tuning my truck.  I cannot afford to pay for major repairs while fighting the dealer/GM over who is responsible.

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Requires the dealer/manufacture PROVE it caused the failure. Retaining a lawyer will usually resolve the fuss. Their bluff is that you wont. And yes you shouldn't have to but …….

A dealer can not simply state his belief as a fact and make that stick. 

Some of us do not have the financial means to retain a lawyer and pay for the repairs or be without our vehicle while the lawyers fight it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 14SierraZ71 said:

Ok so long story short I found a big oil puddle in my driveway after parking my 14 Sierra with the 5.3. The dealer I took it to said the rear main seal blew and the cause was the combination of cold temperatures and the oil catch can that I put on the vehicle. I installed the elite engineering e2 can with one way check valve. Has anyone else had this issue? They're telling me since I put that system on it voids the warranty and I have to pay for the rear main needless to say I'm pretty pissed

Hey Dave, can you post some pictures of your Catch Can installed, specifically the hose routing?  Or better yet, just send them to our email address.  [email protected]  [email protected]

Thanks! 

Edited by Elite Engineering

1 minute ago, 14SierraZ71 said:

And then I'm paying for a lawyer fee so either way I lose

Normally the looser pays the lawyer. Talk to the lawyer before you accept defeat. He wont' take a case he doesn't think he can win if he's unsure of the outcome. He'll tell you so. 

12 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Some of us do not have the financial means to retain a lawyer and pay for the repairs or be without our vehicle while the lawyers fight it out.

That sir is a choice to be made. You made it when you decided to put more money in your ride than your income could handle. If you are going to tell me your income can handle it then you've testified against yourself sir. Hire the lawyer. It cost nothing to listen. 

6 minutes ago, Elite Engineering said:

Hey Dave, can you post some pictures of your Catch Can installed, specifically the hose routing?  Or better yet, just send them to our email address.  [email protected]  [email protected]

Thanks! 

The center one went under the throttle body and the right one with the check valve went to the port above the driveside valve cover

Screenshot_20190128-110639.png

1 hour ago, 14SierraZ71 said:

The center one went under the throttle body and the right one with the check valve went to the port above the driveside valve cover

Screenshot_20190128-110639.png

Well, can't see the lines but trust you. I just don't see how that could happen even if the can was completely filled with lead and allowed no flow at all. Wouldn't it just start running like crap, kick a CEL and push a lot more through the valve cover vents into the air-box? I mean, lets take the can out of the equation...if that one little stock line (that's removed for the can install) were to somehow get clogged or blocked you're just gonna blow a rear main? 

Edited by SS502

1 hour ago, Elite Engineering said:

Thanks! 

Do these cans require periodic maintenance?  i.e. do they have to be opened up and cleaned or looked at for flow impedance issues?  Thanks, Catch Can posse!