Factory remote start

14 minutes ago, 15-4.3 said:

Dealership says factory remote start can’t be added to a 2015 Silverado w/t and I have to go aftermarket. What should I do because they offered to install it but can’t they say. 

I do not understand your last sentence? Are you saying they offered to install an aftermarket remote start? If so and the cost is what you deem acceptable, go for it!

I don't see a remote start listed on GM Accessories website for that vehicle, so I guess they're right. 

What do you mean "they offered to install it but can’t"? Was the remote start install a pre-purchase agreement? 

7 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I do not understand your last sentence? Are you saying they offered to install an aftermarket remote start? If so and the cost is what you deem acceptable, go for it!

Perdón, pero no hablo español. Hope this helps.

27 minutes ago, 15-4.3 said:

Dealership says factory remote start can’t be added to a 2015 Silverado w/t and I have to go aftermarket. What should I do because they offered to install it but can’t they say. 

If your truck does not have the proper build option, then it might not be possible.  Open your glovebox and look on the build label for code AQQ.  Basically, it has to come from the factory with keyless entry.  If you have that code and have factory key fobs already, remote start can be added.  If not, then aftermarket it is. 

Go to your local audio-video store, they can certainly install one for you, cheaper than the dealer will charge. We found one that worked on my wife's old toyota with her existing key fob by pressing and holding the lock button. You may or may not need to carry around another fob if your truck one does not have the start button.

8 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Perdón, pero no hablo español. Hope this helps.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:44 PM, JimCost2014 said:

You GMC guys and your fancy "clusters", dare you to go into settings, change the language, have a "few" beers and then try to get it back to English.....

No damn it and I took your dare....still can't get it back...it's stuck on Spanglish

I had a Viper on my 99 Silverado and it was great. Also came with an option to add a cellular option. If you pay a yearly fee($70 annually), less than the $15 per month Chevy charges, you can lock/unlock, start, etc from your smartphone. I think it was about $300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 2015 Sierra WT. Mine was an off-lease Uhaul truck with the fleet convenience package so, I have AQQ/keyless entry on my options list. My dealer just had to do some programming.

THIS IS ALL MY OPINION:  Check out the functions of the aftermarket units, regardless if you can use factory. Here's my reasons why.

• I don't like the feel of the GM fob buttons. They are soft and don't have a positive tactile response. They feel spongy.
  • I don't like needing to use a sequence of buttons; I need to hit lock and then hold the circle button for 3 seconds. Other remote starts that I had over the years only required a single press or a double tap of a dedicated start button.
  • My truck will only remain running for 10 minutes. All the systems I've had in the past were 20 minutes. My truck and my dad's 2015 Silverado take longer than 10 minutes to warm up in the winter!
  • You can only use the remote start function twice. After that, you'll need to use the key in the ignition to start the truck. This one isn't a huge deal, but if you're like me and you get sidetracked often it can be annoying.

I know these are small, petty things but this system will be in service with me for more than 10 years. For the cost and expected service life these things matter. Also, I've had very good luck with aftermarket remote starters over the last 25 years. I think it was the mostly the late 80's to early 90's when folks saw a lot of issues with remote start and alarms. Today these units are built fairly well.

Edited by ford5of5
  • Like 1