Hey everyone I am new to this whole "modifying" your truck thing. I bought a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All-Terrain 5.3L. The only thing I have done is put a K&M CAI in and am currently looking at a leveling kit but want to upgrade to 33" or 35" (if possible) tires. I also want to hear everyone's opinions on modifications they have done to their truck that didn't break the bank and their favorite ones. Pictures would be beneficial too. Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone I am new to this whole "modifying" your truck thing. I bought a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All-Terrain 5.3L. The only thing I have done is put a K&M CAI in and am currently looking at a leveling kit but want to upgrade to 33" or 35" (if possible) tires. I also want to hear everyone's opinions on modifications they have done to their truck that didn't break the bank and their favorite ones. Pictures would be beneficial too. Thank you in advance!

Heads up! Leveling will not allow you to run larger tires (due to the new stamped steel Upper Control Arms) without rubbing needing to buy new wheels with different offset. If you’re on a small budget I’d save up and do a small “Bracket” lift that’ll allow you to still use your factory wheels.

Sent from above

Heads up! Leveling will not allow you to run larger tires (due to the new stamped steel Upper Control Arms) without rubbing needing to buy new wheels with different offset. If you’re on a small budget I’d save up and do a small “Bracket” lift that’ll allow you to still use your factory wheels.

Sent from above
I'm running a little over a 34 inch mud tire with a 2.5 level and stamped steel uca. Stock 20" all terrain rims only rubbing I have it slight on the sway bar and some of the inner liner.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I'm running a little over a 34 inch mud tire with a 2.5 level and stamped steel uca. Stock 20" all terrain rims only rubbing I have it slight on the sway bar and some of the inner liner.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

That’s the point, they rub and the rubbing is not going away without new wheels. Some put controversial spacers on, not recommended, getting new wheels with like a plus one offset is pretty much the solution. Some have put on new uca’s but later said the tires rubbed when doing light off-roading

Sent from above

Just like you, I wanted to do a budget build. Unfortunately these trucks are not easy to get larger tires under. You will need to lift your truck, and potentially get new wheels. 

You can fit 33”s with a 2.5” lift. Mind you a 2.5” lift with lift the front 2.5” and then the back only 1/2” to level the truck. So it’s not that much of a lift over a normal level, but enough to get some larger tires. 

I bought a Rough Country lift on their website for $150 and Installed it myself. Pretty cheap mod if you can install yourself. 

I then got some new XD Misfit wheels with a +0 offset and some 295/70/17 Nitto Terragrappler MT’s. Obviously the new tires and wheels are expensive. 

So all in it’s still expensive, but not anywhere near as bad compared to a 4” or 6” lift. Especially if you are competent enough to install a small lift yourself. 

Just like you, I wanted to do a budget build. Unfortunately these trucks are not easy to get larger tires under. You will need to lift your truck, and potentially get new wheels. 

You can fit 33”s with a 2.5” lift. Mind you a 2.5” lift with lift the front 2.5” and then the back only 1/2” to level the truck. So it’s not that much of a lift over a normal level, but enough to get some larger tires. 

I bought a Rough Country lift on their website for $150 and Installed it myself. Pretty cheap mod if you can install yourself. 

I then got some new XD Misfit wheels with a +0 offset and some 295/70/17 Nitto Terragrappler MT’s. Obviously the new tires and wheels are expensive. 

So all in it’s still expensive, but not anywhere near as bad compared to a 4” or 6” lift. Especially if you are competent enough to install a small lift yourself. 

Though I can agree with you on requiring lift to get tires to fit there is another solution as well.

Doing a bracket lift would be OP’s better option, lifting the truck doing a bracket lift will keep stock turning radius along with allowing you to keep same stock wheels and tires. Something to consider, Rough Country (not a big fan of) has come out with a somewhat similar lift kit to a badass CST Lift. Rough Country has a $1200 5” bracket lift that gives really good angles (surprising) and is well worth looking into especially saving that much over having to do a spindle lift which will give you that goofy wide track width requiring new wheels and controversial spacers. Sorta a no brainer.

https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-5-suspension-lift-kit-w-shocks-bracket-kit-1417-4wd.html

Sent from above

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Though I can agree with you on requiring lift to get tires to fit there is another solution as well.

Doing a bracket lift would be OP’s better option, lifting the truck doing a bracket lift will keep stock turning radius along with allowing you to keep same stock wheels and tires. Something to consider, Rough Country (not a big fan of) has come out with a somewhat similar lift kit to a badass CST Lift. Rough Country has a $1200 5” bracket lift that gives really good angles (surprising) and is well worth looking into especially saving that much over having to do a spindle lift which will give you that goofy wide track width requiring new wheels and controversial spacers. Sorta a no brainer.

https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-5-suspension-lift-kit-w-shocks-bracket-kit-1417-4wd.html

Sent from above

No I completely agree with you, a quality Knuckle lift is a better option when lifting your truck. However he was talking about doing just a leveling kit, and he also talked about budget mods. So I am assuming he doesn’t want a large expensive lift kit. 

So I was just simply saying he can achieve a 33” tire on a 2.5” leveling lift, which is only a half inch taller than a leveling kit. Of course you would need aftermarket wheels to fit the 33”s. Avoid spacers please.. The 2.5” lift on my truck had zero impact on my turning radius or ride quality. 

There is big difference between a leveling kit and a 5” knuckle lift kit. Both in looks and price. Not to mention installing the 5” knuckle lift is a more in depth job (rightly so) compared to the 2.5” lift, whether you do it yourself or pay a shop to do it.  

• Thanks 1

No I completely agree with you, a quality Knuckle lift is a better option when lifting your truck. However he was talking about doing just a leveling kit, and he also talked about budget mods. So I am assuming he doesn’t want a large expensive lift kit. 

So I was just simply saying he can achieve a 33” tire on a 2.5” leveling lift, which is only a half inch taller than a leveling kit. Of course you would need aftermarket wheels to fit the 33”s. Avoid spacers please.. The 2.5” lift on my truck had zero impact on my turning radius or ride quality. 

There is big difference between a leveling kit and a 5” knuckle lift kit. Both in looks and price. Not to mention installing the 5” knuckle lift is a more in depth job (rightly so) compared to the 2.5” lift, whether you do it yourself or pay a shop to do it.  

Here’s my 2018 CC Z71 6.2 with a 2.25” level up front and 1” added rear, ride like crap with the level and had to buy new wheels = $2500 minus tires. A $1200 bracket lift and $600-$800 for install= $2000 total while keeping your wheels and 33”-35” tires. Much better ground clearance.

914adb68478bbc369bd5397e88726ab1.jpg

Here’s the same truck with a CST 4.5-5” Bracket Lift, keeping stock ride.
2addf611160599dc9c78b526af185216.jpg

No leveled or lifted truck will ride as smooth as a Bracket Lift and when comparing to the overall cost, the Bracket Lift wins hands down.
The leveling messes up geometry in your suspension as do many lifts, not the bracket lift. Bracket lift allows YOU to at least have a choice in whether or not you want to buy new wheels (at least allowing you time to save for new wheels) not making have to buy new wheels. Btw, a level is not a lift, a lift comes with added parts to lower differential etc.

In my case, I’ve always owned lifted trucks and SUV’s and leveled only cause I thought my garage wouldn’t allow a lifted truck, I was wrong, 3.5” clearance from shark fin antenna.

Good luck to OP, just my own personal experience and I’ll NEVER level again with blocks/spacers. There’s also King and CST Coil Overs 2-3” leveling which WILL also give a great ride but pricier than Bracket Lift having to add UCA’s. Good luck!

Sent from above
  • Thanks 1

Sent from above
I have 285/70r17s on mine and they dont rub

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have 285/70r17s on mine and they dont rub

Talking about 20’s and what year is your truck?

Sent from above

Gotcha didnt see where is specified 20s, mine is a 14

14-15 don’t have the 16-18 stamped steel uca’s and that’s another reason you’ve got more clearance. New 16-18’s are a pain in the ass to level with 100% rubbing

Sent from above

14-15 don’t have the 16-18 stamped steel uca’s and that’s another reason you’ve got more clearance. New 16-18’s are a pain in the ass to level with 100% rubbing

Sent from above
Ahh didnt know that. Just got my truck couple months ago

• Like 1