Turbo 6.2 almost done!!

@ShortyMatt, Is 100% correct. As my truck was sitting in my driveway with bent pushrods & collapsed lifters I started joining Truck forums and reading about known issues on trucks variants. So I started buying more and more upgrades. They dropped into a few buckets. Induction, Cooling, Fuel, drivetrain, driveline etc. OnallCylinders was very helpful for topics when and where things get weak or run out.  For example Fuel tends to run out around 600-650. You'll need injectors, low side and high side pumps.  I knew I would eventually need them so I got them lol.

Missing the Gasket was just me not realizing and being excited that I now have a 7.0 vs 6.2 block. Honestly TSP should have recommended or shipped them with the block. 

@truckguy82 Yeah LT1's L86's are mostly identical however, any variant needs to have upgraded internals when going under extreme boost. Anybody boosting their block needs to think about upgrading rods, pistons and possibly crank. It will be the monster under your bead every day that one day it'll climb out and bite you. Also, the trucks weigh a lot more :), the truck is always going to have to work harder. Which makes a huge difference. 

Take my engine for example. On a dyno it will make 1200 HP easy. Put that engine into my truck and it will only put down 900 Wheel. Now put my engine into a corvette. It will put down 1100+ Wheel power NO PROBLEM. 

Okay same thought. Take a stock internal 6.2L Boosted block 700-800 Wheel engine from a corvette and put it into my truck. Tune it to 800 Wheel and you're going to start breaking things. As a reigning Forum champion you should already know this....

@ROB_IS_KING I would recommend James any day. He's is a trusted professional with ample experience. 

I did forget completely forget about drivetrain loss, great point!

rough calculations through various dynos.

vette’s are losing about 13% to drivetrain

our trucks about 22%, and thats in rwd, no idea in awd.

700whp = 900-925hp crank in our trucks

800-825hp crank in the vette

Although it should still be able to take that no problem, it is definitely more possible it was not their fault.

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still breaking in the new 427. Have to keep it mild for now. Once the piston rings are broken in it’ll be time to raise hell. I’ll put up a few videos tomorrow. I’m going to try and put  another couple hundred Miles on it. 

I will say even under 4K rpm on AWD it sticks like glue and will put a smile on your face. 2wd has been sketchy at best. The tires act like they’re on ice. 

Edited by DenaliX14

20 hours ago, Pt187 said:

Very nice build bud. Sounds badass. Cam sounds huge for a turbo build 

It's actually a pretty mild cam. Texas Speed and Performance SV cam. Specs are 223/227 @ .635 & 116 LSA. W/ 30% fuel lobe. It does shake the truck a little  at idle :). 

47 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Need to get yourself in one of those groups that goes out on the highway at night time and does roll racing with supercars. I’d do it just once and make a good video. Would be hilarious pulling on lambo’s

I love being a sleeper. Had a blue FRS try to pull off on me and I got a little into boot around 3500 rpms. Left him picking up his doors. You'd never know it until you hear the fighter jet taking off under the hood. 

I do need to figure out how to kill the drone the exhaust causes. Either I need to get a new one or It's the lack of tune. 

Love your build dude.  It really came together.  Yeah the traction in 2wd forget it this time of year.  No f-ing way.  The wide summer tires I had on for all of 2 weeks before it started snowing helped tremendously but I'm back on the stock a/ts.  What are you doing for axle wrap?  The bottom plate is gonna be pointed at your oil pan with all that hp... hahah.  But seriously it's been a noticeable issue even with my current power level so I hope the caltrac bars I just got but haven't installed yet fix it.