Turbo 6.2 almost done!!

30 minutes ago, ShortyMatt said:

Easiest is to check out my build page  - It's short, and the turbo build starts the middle of page 1.  Still need to update with my new wheels/tires.

I'm thrilled with the results.  I'm have a 5.3 and had some minor bolt-ons and a a remote tune...  dyno-ed at 318whp before the turbo.  450Whp and 490wt after.  It's a monster.  The only downside is turbo lag in comparison to a supercharger, but you can turn the power up higher with a turbo.

Thanks for the quick read!  Do you worry about having your air filter so low and exposed to the elements living in New England winters?  Did the cost come out to somewhere around what they quoted me?

1 hour ago, ShortyMatt said:

I'm curious as to your expertise on this matter.  In your opinion, how many years of lurking on truck forums equals one year of professional wrenching? 

Experience just in regards to engine building And wrenchinh

-2 years of mechanic school for the hell of it, which included engine rebuilds

-usaf kc-135 hydraulic tech 4 years (the most complicated hydraulic system on any aircraft that I know of)

-Built 4 shortblocks and 3 heads for my own vehicles, while they were all honda, they saw 3x-5x their factory output on large amounts of boost using turbo systems I built and self tuned using uberdata and neptune. I even soldered in my own zif sockets in my ecu’s.

-Extensive forum experience

Forums are information sharing, and powerful tools. 

I can be damn sure that building a motor is not voodoo magic. Fact of the matter is, if they blew it up right after the build, it’s is a 99.99% chance they screwed up the engine build or the tuning session. Judging by his specific problems, sounds like the bearing clearances but could have been several things.

If it was, say, a ferrari 488, where the information available to us about motors is very limited, that’s one thing.

An engine in which several hundred thousand were built and 100’s modified to that power level, yes I expect the shop to not blow up the engine. Not exactly forging a new path.

Edited by truckguy82

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Experience just in regards to engine building And wrenchinh

-2 years of mechanic school for the hell of it, which included engine rebuilds

-usaf kc-135 hydraulic tech 4 years (the most complicated hydraulic system on any aircraft that I know of)

-Built 4 shortblocks and 3 heads for my own vehicles, while they were all honda, they saw 3x-5x their factory output on large amounts of boost using turbo systems I built and self tuned using uberdata and neptune. I even soldered in my own zif sockets in my ecu’s.

-Extensive forum experience

Forums are information sharing, and powerful tools. 

I can be damn sure that building a motor is not voodoo magic. Fact of the matter is, if they blew it up right after the build, it’s is a 99.99% chance they screwed up the engine build or the tuning session. Judging by his specific problems, sounds like the bearing clearances but could have been several things.

If it was, say, a ferrari 488, where the information available to us about motors is very limited, that’s one thing.

An engine in which several hundred thousand were built and 100’s modified to that power level, yes I expect the shop to not blow up the engine. Not exactly forging a new path.

Thank you for serving the nation.

Ok let me edit and rephrase my smart ass  reply - I think you’re out of your depth and in a poor position to set an incorrect narritive about a local business owner when other people who have worked with him directly are telling you that you are off base. If you don’t want to work with them, I assure you they have all the business they can handle anyway. Any time I go in there they’ve got at least a million dollars of msrp getting work done. They had a trackhawk in, getting BETTER not long ago. He has a camaro ZL1 in for an engine swap by a guy who thinks GSD can do it better and is basically firesaling a 650 hp engine. They don’t need your support, but what you’re doing is libelous when you state incorrect/incomplete  information in a factual way.

Edited by ShortyMatt

1 hour ago, ROB_IS_KING said:

Thanks for the quick read!  Do you worry about having your air filter so low and exposed to the elements living in New England winters?  Did the cost come out to somewhere around what they quoted me?

That’s the right question to ask because I’ve been thinking about it. I’m only mildly concerned... meaning that I plan on keeping an eye on when we get to mud season and the snow turns to slush. Mainly for splashes, it’s tucked up above the frame so deep snow doesn’t worry me at all. I think worst case would be affixing a splash shield below it if I ever find it’s getting mucked up. And yes, price is on point. 700 dollars of that is going to be the dyno tune.  Well worth it imo. You’ll have the fastest truck you know.

Edited by ShortyMatt
  • Thanks 1

I am bad mouthing the shop in support of the OP’s build. It seems to me like he is getting taken advantage of. I come from the world of hi powered hondas and the stories of heard of failed builds and blowing up on the dyno is countless and it almost always have to do with human error.

I might feel a little bad about bad mouthing a business without knowing all the facts had their business been mentioned in the forum. Fact is - nobody on this forum knows what business it is so I am not actually making anybody look bad. Which is why I don’t care and why you shouldn’t care either. This is still an anonymous business.

16 hours ago, ShortyMatt said:

- They had a trackhawk in, getting BETTER not long ago. He has a camaro ZL1 in for an engine swap by a guy who thinks GSD can do it better and is basically firesaling a 650 hp engine. They don’t need your support, but what you’re doing is libelous when you state incorrect/incomplete  information in a factual way.

My friend has the Trackhawk and is who recommended me to this shop.  I appreciate your insight and experience with the shop and it's certainly pointing me in the direction of pulling the trigger and I thank you for the PM as well. 

15 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I am bad mouthing the shop in support of the OP’s build. It seems to me like he is getting taken advantage of. I come from the world of hi powered hondas and the stories of heard of failed builds and blowing up on the dyno is countless and it almost always have to do with human error.

I might feel a little bad about bad mouthing a business without knowing all the facts had their business been mentioned in the forum. Fact is - nobody on this forum knows what business it is so I am not actually making anybody look bad. Which is why I don’t care and why you shouldn’t care either. This is still an anonymous business.

It's the first line of the OP's first post, not anonymous at all.  I do understand what you said earlier about the bearing clearances and the notion that the engine blowing up so immediately after could definitely be considered a red flag to some.  I am not sure what I would have done in that situation and it's hard to prove that it is the shop's fault verses an existing condition unnoticed.  If I was spending that much money I think I'd be pulling my hair out if it got to that point and then the rod bearings go, looking for a finger to point.  Again, we don't have enough details to blame someone.

21 hours ago, ROB_IS_KING said:

My friend has the Trackhawk and is who recommended me to this shop.  I appreciate your insight and experience with the shop and it's certainly pointing me in the direction of pulling the trigger and I thank you for the PM as well. 

It's the first line of the OP's first post, not anonymous at all.  I do understand what you said earlier about the bearing clearances and the notion that the engine blowing up so immediately after could definitely be considered a red flag to some.  I am not sure what I would have done in that situation and it's hard to prove that it is the shop's fault verses an existing condition unnoticed.  If I was spending that much money I think I'd be pulling my hair out if it got to that point and then the rod bearings go, looking for a finger to point.  Again, we don't have enough details to blame someone.

I never saw the name of the shop, so it is posted. I probably wouldn’t have been so critical, but whatever.

I mean theres a 90% chance it was a build error. Could it have been something that only some of the worlds best engine builders would have noticed, possibly. There’s a guy on corvette forum that DD’d 1000whp out of drop in pistons and stock rods/crank for two years before his rods went. Just seems unlikely a few dyno pulls at 700whp would cause them to fail unless the tune or motor was not done properly. 700whp is not unheard of for the 5.3, and the 6.2 has significantly stronger forged crank and rods.

Point is, they have the OP’s truck and they blew up the engine and the OP had to pay for it. No matter how you slice it, unless the op was forcing them to certain things, they are at a bare minimum partially to blame.

If the shop paid for the mistake somehow, fine, I’d retract everything I said. I literally can’t imagine taking someones possession, taking their money to make it better, and then damaging it. I just couldn’t call them and say “sorry the motor went, you need buy a new motor.” I’d feel 100% responsible.

Edited by truckguy82

1 minute ago, JONBLARC7 said:

You are correct about the crank I miss spoke but not forged rods. Right?

Only LT4's

Lt1/l86 rods are forged powered metal

there is some debate to how strong they are compared to old school forged rods

Regardless there are numerous examples of the oem rods far exceeding 700whp

• Like 1

Yes the rods are not the weak link, the L86, LT1 and the LT4 all utilize the same forged powered steel connecting rods. GM is not clear as to what steel recipe is used, but some of the best steel alloys available today are derived from powdered steel. LT5 uses a different connecting rod, but still made of forged powdered steel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Yes the rods are not the weak link, the L86, LT1 and the LT4 all utilize the same forged powered steel connecting rods. GM is not clear as to what steel recipe is used, but some of the best steel alloys available today are derived from powdered steel. LT5 uses a different connecting rod, but still made of forged powdered steel. 

That is precisely why I was blaming the shop.

It’s possible it wasn’t their fault, just unlikely. It’s possible his bearings were already damaged from some sort of oil contamination. Or a million other reasons. It’s just far more likely someone screwed up the tune or overlooked something when the motor was apart for the piston upgrade.

I dont know, just seems like the shop had full possession and control of that engine and if it blows up, regardless of why, then it should be on them.

If the customer diy built the motor, and then they blew it up while tuning it, that’s a different story since they should not really be responsible for the motor since they didn’t do the work

Imagine hiring hennessy to install a 700hp package for like $30k, and then they call you and tell you, “sorry we blew up the motor you need to buy another.“

I would definitely ask for the data logs from the last two or three runs before it popped, even if you had to pay another guy to decipher it for you. But I don't think money is much of a concern of the OP's. Would have been nice to get the core deposit to go against that sweet 427 if it didn't blow up though. 

I must admit I would have to question the builder. I’ve seen engines go two, two 1/2 times it’s original horsepower and stock bottom ends hold up. I’ve seen people with daily drivers do it with nitrous on stock engines. Something’s amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk