Turbo 6.2 almost done!!

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I rather build it than pay that kinda of money. If I broke it I’d have plenty of money to fix it with the money I saved. I was always happy with 100-200 HP over stock. The sensation of speed by unlocking the nannies is intoxicating starting at 400 HP. Until recently something as simple as good flowing exhaust had to be done aftermarket. In the seventies when I started exhaust alone unlocked decent HP for the time. The manufacturer usually had to be force into improvements and shown how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

performance/cost/reliability, pick two, because you aren’t beating a major manufacturers R&D department in all 3.

take a loaded v8 cherokee, vs a trackhawk. It’s like a $30k difference. For $30k and have equal performance, you’d need to go FI on the motor, build the brakes and the suspension. Even if DIY that’s costing like $15k minimum to match the performance of the trackhawk. Then you have the rest of the drivetrain that would be constantly failing if your are driving it hard for 100k miles. Ok you decide to build the entire drivetrain trackhawk standards, that’s atleast $10k. Then you don’t have the bespoke interior trackhawk stuff. So in the end you have something close to a trackhawk, for about tbe same price, you spent like 100 hours of your own time, you don’t have a warranty, and it’s highly unlikely all built by you will be as reliable as one built by the oem. There is a lot more to a performance vehicle than adding power.

Also an aftermarket exhaust? Come on, you really think they aren’t aware that more air flow = more hp? That’s grade school stuff for the oem.

22 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

performance/cost/reliability, pick two, because you aren’t beating a major manufacturers R&D department in all 3.

take a loaded v8 cherokee, vs a trackhawk. It’s like a $30k difference. For $30k and have equal performance, you’d need to go FI on the motor, build the brakes and the suspension. Even if DIY that’s costing like $15k minimum to match the performance of the trackhawk. Then you have the rest of the drivetrain that would be constantly failing if your are driving it hard for 100k miles. Ok you decide to build the entire drivetrain trackhawk standards, that’s atleast $10k. Then you don’t have the bespoke interior trackhawk stuff. So in the end you have something close to a trackhawk, for about tbe same price, you spent like 100 hours of your own time, you don’t have a warranty, and it’s highly unlikely all built by you will be as reliable as one built by the oem. There is a lot more to a performance vehicle than adding power.

Also an aftermarket exhaust? Come on, you really think they aren’t aware that more air flow = more hp? That’s grade school stuff for the oem.

If you want to pay $90k for a trackhawk and that represents value to you, go ahead. 

I paid $30k for the exact truck I wanted, and where it sits now, I'm less than 40k in truck that will blow the doors off any OEM truck ever produced.  And I can have 2 of them for less than the price of a Shelby F150.

To each his own.

Edited by ShortyMatt

14 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I drove one

new 6.2 is without a doubt slower than my bb tuned 6.2.

considering a k2xx 6.2 puts down about 330-340whp, and mine probably makes 350-60whp max, there is no way in hell the new one puts down 380

Well you can think all you want but your 100% wrong.  All you have to do is YouTube 6.2 dyno number and you find plenty of examples of them make around 380 with just a tune and with headers and bolt ons over 400 rwhp.  So what you drove one,  I owned a full bolt on 2008 sierra with a custom tune and own now an L86 and just a tune on the L86 would walk my old denali.   Now I'm cammed with E85.  It rolls out

Most people don’t want NASCAR HP for the street. If they did the most bang for the buck is the Vette. I have a 29 year old stroked, dart, MSD, whipple in a truck. The only reason it was pulled was to add more HP. The whipple was waiting on the truck when it arrived new. The first 10 years it was a whipple and a shift kit. The came the stroking and beefing the trans. I had the last ten just maintenance. I can double the boost in ten minutes. I’ve done that type of performance mods so many times in 40 years I couldn’t count. First in family vehicles then my work diesel included. My work vehicle averaged 50K miles a year. Some were pulling rigs early on. The first pulling rig was a 74 one ton ford 390. Cam, headers, high rise 735 Holley, C-6, 410. It out ran my 74 barracuda stock. I like dodge approach to performance. A hemi in a work truck. The V-6 GM probably give it a run. Believe me if there was a new vehicle the could give me the sensation of speed my old blown truck gives reasonably priced, I’d own it. My 14 was headed that way, cylinder deactivation killed the build.

Some people take pride in what they build instead of just buying stuff.  Anybody can go buy a Trackhawk and don't get me wrong they are bad ass.  But I need a truck that pull my wakeboat and a trackhawk doesn't have the tow rating to do it.  So I'm left with boosting the truck i have since it pulls my boat great.  It doesn't have to run low 10's just beat up on some sport cars. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Well you can think all you want but your 100% wrong.  All you have to do is YouTube 6.2 dyno number and you find plenty of examples of them make around 380 with just a tune and with headers and bolt ons over 400 rwhp.  So what you drove one,  I owned a full bolt on 2008 sierra with a custom tune and own now an L86 and just a tune on the L86 would walk my old denali.   Now I'm cammed with E85.  It rolls out

You said before, the new 6.2, which I assume you’re taking about the t1xx 6.2 and not the l86, makes 380whp stock, 400whp with headers and tune.

Now your saying 380whp with a tune, 400whp headers and fbo.

which is it?

hopefully you’re not talking about the l86, because they sure as hell don’t make 380whp stock.

Edited by truckguy82

7 minutes ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Your just one of those people aren't you.  Who the hell would think t1xx 6.2 if I said new 6.2.  They just go where you can tune them just last week.   Believe what you want and enjoy your BB tune!!!!

Um most people in this forum?

I’ve had an l86 for several years now, so when you say “new 6.2” yeah I assume the new one.

I’ve also seen countless dyno’s on this forum and performancetrucks.net and not a single one has made 380whp stock.

You made an untrue statement. Not sure why you continue arguing.

20 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

New 6.2's puts 380 rwhp and just over 400 rwhp with headers and a tune.  Then another 15 to 20 rwhp on E85.  Add a cam and heads and places like fasterporms made 475 on his wifes escalade with all of the above.

I would say your shooting low.

Your so quick to prove somebody wrong you didn't read.  Above I said 380 rwhp,  I did not say stock at anytime.  Then with I said with headers they put just over 400 rwhp with headers and tune.  Meaning if you going dyno it your probably going to have a tune.  Then headers plus a tune would get you around 400.

Have a nice day.

20 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

New 6.2's puts 380 rwhp and just over 400 rwhp with headers and a tune.  Then another 15 to 20 rwhp on E85.  Add a cam and heads and places like fasterporms made 475 on his wifes escalade with all of the above.

I would say your shooting low.

It doesn’t imply that at all, maybe you worded it incorrectly. Most would just say “oh sorry I worded it incorrectly”

not to mention I’ve been looking at pretty much every gm truck forum for years now and I have not seen a single tune only dyno with 380whp.

I have seen fbo dyno’s around 380whp.

The most thorough poster on this entire site, Jon A, recorded a stock dyno of 330whp, which is right in line with everybody else, and then one with full bolt ons and a tune, and it got 380whp. I’ve seen a few dyno’s slightly over that fbo.

There is no tune only l86 making 380whp. If there is they fudged the correction factor

I am the bullshit info police fyi

Edited by truckguy82

It doesn’t imply that at all, maybe you worded it incorrectly. Most would just say “oh sorry I worded it incorrectly”

not to mention I’ve been looking at pretty much every gm truck forum for years now and I have not seen a single tune only dyno with 380whp.

I have seen fbo dyno’s around 380whp.

The most thorough poster on this entire site, Jon A, recorded a stock dyno of 330whp, which is right in line with everybody else, and then one with full bolt ons and a tune, and it got 380whp. I’ve seen a few dyno’s slightly over that fbo.

There is no tune only l86 making 380whp. If there is they fudged the correction factor

I am the bullshit info police fyi

The only problem with your self title is saying factory builds are more reliable than self builds. BS on that. I’m sure there are many people like me that have over stock builds that last at least as long as factory builds. I’ve had a few reasonably priced factory builds. The last one a trailblazer ss. It was fun but the transmission went at 40K miles. Lucky for me I had extended warranty. My 700R4 has lasted longer with more horsepower. Believe me at 64 years old I have dozens of examples.

Hey so let's hear more about the build and less about how OTHER people's money should be spent. I don't have money, exciting build or history of owning awesome cars, but I bet I can piss further than anyone here.