Gorehamj

GM Recalls Canadian Silverados and Sierras For Fire Risk

On 2019-07-16 at 4:15 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

I guess there was a 2nd older recall for the K2 truck's rear window because they would where they would shatter. The article I read on another website mentioned the shattering glass but didn't make it clear enough that it was a separate older recall.

Some of the shattered glass victims also had truck fires. The breaking glass I believe was caused by overheating the window element when the circuit had moisture on it. Many reported burned seats and there were a few total loses. It could be two different problems but I believe they are tied together. 

• Like 1

I had a service yesterday and they wanted to unhook it but I said leave it alone. I hardly ever use it anyway.

Yes, its a shame that USA trucks are not recalled also as many members here from the US have experienced exploding rear sliding windows.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 2:45 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Yes, its a shame that USA trucks are not recalled also as many members here from the US have experienced exploding rear sliding windows.

There claiming it's how they are used.  I now picture my fellow Canadians driving around in the rain with the back window open lol

From what I've be able to find it was Transport Canada that has forced GM into the recall.  They usually only follow the US on recalls. 

This is unusual lol.

Not taking mine in unless they have a real fix regardless. With my luck they will disable it and then just say oh that's good enough.

Makes me think of all of the GM customers that lost their heated windshield washer systems.  GM took them out then never came up with a replacement or fix.

I keep waiting to see if the fix will be just to replace the slider with a full glass windows.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      3-20-2019
      NHTSA has reported that General Motors is recalling some 2016-2018 GMC Sierra 3500 and Chevrolet Silverado 3500 trucks with gasoline engines and dual fuel tanks. GM says that the fuel-level sensor in the front tank may stick in the low-level position, allowing the rear tank to overfill the front tank. If the front tank overfills, GM says that the excess pressure may cause the front tank to expand and contact the driveshaft, possibly resulting in a hole in the tank. This could cause leaking fuel, and increase the risk of a fire.

GM has notified owners by mail. Dealers will replace the rear-tank fuel-pump module, inspect the front tank and, if necessary, replace the front tank. GM's number for this recall is N182204190. The NHTSA Campaign Number is 19V088000. About 19,000 vehicles are included in this recall. 

Check to see if your truck is on the list here.
    • By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      11-8-2018

General Motors made an unusual request today of GM-Trucks.com. Our contact at the Chevy Truck department asked us to report that GM is launching a new campaign to adjust the sensitivity of the airbags in the Chevy Colorado ZR2. This is a refreshing change from the industry standard practice of soft-pedaling recalls and product programs. Here is the unedited information we were asked to convey:

As you are aware, there have been reports of Colorado ZR2 owners whose roof-mounted side airbags deployed while off-roading. Upon learning of this issue, Chevrolet took immediate action to understand the root cause and create a solution. Today, we notified Chevrolet dealers of a customer-satisfaction initiative to recalibrate the thresholds for the roof-mounted side airbags for ZR2 owners. The updated calibration is available as of today, and will be installed free of charge the next time the customers takes their ZR2 to a Chevrolet dealer. There have been 11 reports of Colorado ZR2 owners whose roof-mounted side airbags deployed while off-roading.  Chevrolet is working to reimburse those ZR2 customers for the cost of repair, provided the event data was available to confirm the incident. We are incredibly proud of the ZR2 and the off-road capability it offers, and are encouraged to see customers are using the truck as intended. If customers have questions, they should contact their local dealer or Chevrolet Customer Assistance at 800-833-2438

GM-Trucks.com readers may recall that in May we covered the news that owners were beginning to report that the airbags in their Colorado trucks were deploying while off-roading (and not in a crash). You can read the prior full report here and see more images. Our reporting leaned heavily on images and reports from GM-Truck.com member Joe F. Since Joe's information was made available, other owners have also reported the same problem. We will do our best to get new information from Joe F. and how he is reimbursed. 

Our thanks to GM for asking us to be involved in disseminating this important product update program.  
    • By love3guys
      First post here and I wasn't quite sure where to post.  This isn't really troubleshooting because we know what is wrong, I'm mainly wanting to know if there are large scale issues regarding this and how do we get in touch with GMC about it as our mechanic isn't much help at this point other than charging $1100 to fix it. 

We bought a used 2015 GMC Yukon last year with 20k miles on it.  A month ago, the Side Blind Zone alert on the side mirrors came on and have stayed on permanently, even when the car is turned off.  Because of that, it drains our battery when the car is parked longer than 2-3 days.  I took it into the shop a couple of days ago and we find out that the box that houses the sensors, in the right rear quarter panel, had become detached and was dangling close to the exhaust pipe.  Because of this, it totally melted the box housing the sensors.  The mechanic tells us that the sensor box is only glued in and can become detached easily.   This is costing us $1100 to fix because the sensor is over $300, and then labor for the past 2 days to get it back in place. 

Is there a thread in here from others who have had this issue?  Is this a wide spread issue?  Should GMC pay to fix this and if so, what are my next steps?   

Thanks!
    • By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      9-19-2018

GM is recalling vehicles including the 2015-2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, 3500, 1500 Crew Cab Special Service, Tahoe Police Pursuit/Special Service, GMC Sierra 2500, and 3500 vehicles. The reason is that the brake pedal pivot nut may loosen, causing the brake pedal to be loose or inoperative. The consequence of that could make it difficult or impossible for the driver to stop the vehicle by using the brake pedal. In addition, a loose pedal may also interfere with the accelerator pedal. Either condition may increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA says that GM will notify owners, and dealers will add adhesive to the nut and reinstall the nut with increased tightness, free of charge. To verify if your vehicle is part of this recall, you can look it up here at GM's lookup site.  
    • By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      9-15-2018

General Motors is recalling certain 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Sierra 1500 and Yukon, and Cadillac Escalade vehicles. Electric power steering (EPS) assist may be lost momentarily, followed by a sudden return of EPS assist. That can cause - and has caused - crashes. 30 so far that GN knows about. Luckily, nobody has yet been killed. GM will notify owners, and dealers will update the EPS module software, free of charge. GM has not yet provided NHTSA a notification schedule. So why wait? You can check the VIN of your vehicle right here.  

Does this recall sound familiar? The Detroit Free Press reports GM recalled 2014 model year vehicles for the same problem last year. Too bad GM didn't fully identify the issue then. 30 owners would not have been in a crash.