2020 Silverado With Duramax 3.0-Liter Diesel MPG Revealed (Better than Colorado Duramax)

Gorehamj

12 hours ago, zikronix said:

the redesigned dodge is supposed to have better numbers all around

The problem RAM has is their gas trucks's payloads are ~1400lbs, where similarly loaded GM is ~1900.  RAM is adding a compacted iron block (heavy) and Chevy is adding aluminum (less heavy).  It's not too hard to see how this ends unless RAM significantly bumps up the GVWR for the 1500s with the eco diesel.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, Zoomie said:

I had a 2014 dodge ecodiesel 4x4 1500 with 8 speed transmission. I loved driving that truck and got great fuel economy. But, RAM killed us on oil changes. 10 litres of very expensive special hocus pocus oil and a 60$ filter made it a $350 oil change every 10k miles. I did it myself after warranty and saved a bit. Then the tranny needs special oil too and a filter built into the pan so you had to replace it all and they wanted $1500 for that. The a thing called an EGR cooler in the exhaust system went at 120,000 miles and was going to cost $2,000 to fix, and they said the coolent leak probably damaged the Cat and that would go next at $4000. I traded it on a 2018 Siera 5.3. No turbo, no special tranny, I pay more in fuel but not in service.

Unless you are going to go a million miles, or you tow a great deal you should look very closely at the numbers and especially check out the service costs before you pull the trigger. 

GM may do it better than RAM, I'm just saying, check it out first. 

Thanks for sharing it's stuff like this that holds me back on Diesel.  I have 5.3L Ecotec3 and is about the easiest thing to maintain plus it's never failed me or cost anything other than a AC compressor?  If I can get that from 3.0L Duramax with minimal maintenance costs I am ALL in but skeptical no doubt!

For me the 

On 7/31/2019 at 3:26 PM, Zoomie said:

I had a 2014 dodge ecodiesel 4x4 1500 with 8 speed transmission. I loved driving that truck and got great fuel economy. But, RAM killed us on oil changes. 10 litres of very expensive special hocus pocus oil and a 60$ filter made it a $350 oil change every 10k miles. I did it myself after warranty and saved a bit. Then the tranny needs special oil too and a filter built into the pan so you had to replace it all and they wanted $1500 for that. The a thing called an EGR cooler in the exhaust system went at 120,000 miles and was going to cost $2,000 to fix, and they said the coolent leak probably damaged the Cat and that would go next at $4000. I traded it on a 2018 Siera 5.3. No turbo, no special tranny, I pay more in fuel but not in service.

Unless you are going to go a million miles, or you tow a great deal you should look very closely at the numbers and especially check out the service costs before you pull the trigger. 

GM may do it better than RAM, I'm just saying, check it out first. 

I'm hoping GM does do it better than RAM - definitely going for an extended warranty.  The problem for me is the 5.3/6.2 have puny tanks for towing at what they burn while towing.  So it's either this engine, an F-150 with a 36 gallon tank, or 3/4+ ton trucks.

6 hours ago, ChuckTaylor said:

For me the 

I'm hoping GM does do it better than RAM - definitely going for an extended warranty.  The problem for me is the 5.3/6.2 have puny tanks for towing at what they burn while towing.  So it's either this engine, an F-150 with a 36 gallon tank, or 3/4+ ton trucks.

The tank size should have been 4-5 gallons bigger.  The 3.0 will do just fine on 23-24 gallons.  I did recently check out a 2020 HD with Duramax and was blown-away!  80K blown-away but what serious frigging rig!

9 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

The tank size should have been 4-5 gallons bigger.  The 3.0 will do just fine on 23-24 gallons.  I did recently check out a 2020 HD with Duramax and was blown-away!  80K blown-away but what serious frigging rig!

I was blown away by their decision to not put adjustable pedals or adaptive cruise in it.  With the higher hood line and no adjustable pedals, it won't work for my wife.  So now it's basically between the diesel 1500 (barely works without adjustable pedals), RAM HD, or 2020 Ford.

Let's just hope the new 3.0 Duramax proves to be as reliable as it is efficient.

Anyone know if this engine has been tested for a while overseas before being introduced in Canada or here in the states?

On 7/29/2019 at 1:52 PM, 8100 Power said:

143 HP less than the 6.2... that one hurts my pride a bit. Same torque numbers though. Basically, the MPG increase is the only attractive selling point for this motor.. I can't wait to drive one to see how it feels.. maybe my next truck. 

But after a quick tune, I'm sure these numbers will go way up.  This will be my next truck with that Duramax in it.

The Ram Ecodiesel has a tune from PPEI that will add 60hp and 114ft lbs of torque.

The 3.0 power stroke has tunes that will add 40+hp and 100+ft lbs of torque.  

7 minutes ago, btj_z71 said:

But after a quick tune, I'm sure these numbers will go way up.  This will be my next truck with that Duramax in it.

The Ram Ecodiesel has a tune from PPEI that will add 60hp and 114ft lbs of torque.

The 3.0 power stroke has tunes that will add 40+hp and 100+ft lbs of torque.  

Good point, but I'm afraid the ECM tuning restrictions the 17+ 6.6 Duramax has (and I'm assuming the new 3.0L ECM) will drive the cost way to high for tuning. 

So ... always an interesting topic - gas vs diesel.  Have had lots of diesels cars, but no diesel trucks.

I get why diesel is desired for big trailer loads ...especially if hauling often.

My 2017 Silverado with the 6.2 (8 speed trans) gets better than 24 mpg if I stay between 70-75 mph.  At 65 it is around 26.  80-85 it gets around 20-21.  Hauling a 7000 boat it gets 10 mph at 70-75.

Given the cost of diesel, the increased oil changes, the increased complexity - I can only surmise I would want one if I had big, heavy consistent loads to pull.

Some quick maths for those interested.  Lets say you can pull 30mpg average in one of these.  That would be including one regen lets say.  720 miles of potential range can be had at 30mpg average out of the 24 gallon tank.  That is Chevy Cruze diesel hyper mile driving type range.  Even if you were at 28mpg average, 672 miles of potential range. 

I'm actually upset that I picked up my 2019 LD on a 3 year lease now.  Wish I did 2  as I'd jump right into one of these ASAP, especially after owning a Colorado Diesel. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1