Gorehamj

2020 Silverado With Duramax 3.0-Liter Diesel MPG Revealed (Better than Colorado Duramax)

2020-Chevrolet-Silverado-Diesel-070.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-25-2019

General Motors reported this morning that the all-new Silverado equipped with the 3.0-Liter Duramax diesel engine has earned an EPA-estimated 33 MPG Highway in 2WD configurations. Here is a quick look at the numbers we have so far:

2WD Silverado Duramax = 33 MPG Highway, 23 City

4X4 Silverado Duramax = 29 MPG Highway, 21 City

Here are a couple of quick comparisons:

2019 Ford F-150 2WD Diesel = 30 Highway, 22 City

2019 Ford F-150 4WD Diesel = 28 Highway, 22 City

2019 Ram 1500 2WD Diesel = 27 Highway, 20 City

2019 Ram 1500 4WD Diesel = 27 Highway, 19 City

**2020 Chevrolet Colorado 2WD DIesel = 30 Highway, 20 City

**2020 Chevrolet Colorado 4WD DIesel = 28 Highway, 19 City

2020-Chevrolet-Silverado-Diesel-079.jpg

“We designed the all-new Silverado and the all-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel to deliver both performance and efficiency,” said Tim Herrick, Silverado executive chief engineer. “The engine utilizes state-of-the-art technologies to optimize every drop of fuel, and takes advantage of architectural changes to make Silverado larger, lighter and more aerodynamic than before. The resulting combination offers all of the performance, refinement and capability customers want in a full-size truck, with highway fuel efficiency you would expect from a family sedan.”

The trade-off for fuel economy alone will worth calculating. In addition to the higher fuel cost compared to gasoline, for the LTZ and High Country, the 3.0L Diesel is a $2,495 option (identical to that of the 6.2L V-8). For the LT and RST, it is a $3,890 increase over a 2.7L Turbo engine. For those looking for diesel towing capability, the choice will be an easy one. 

The EPA has not yet published full MPG and emissions information on the new Duramax at its site, www.fueleconomy.gov. Once data is posted we will do a more in-depth post on the comparison to some other Silverado models. First deliveries of the 2020 Silverado with the Duramax engine will be this coming fall. 

The increase in MPG comes at the cost of towing capacity in comparison tho, but 9,000+ towing is plenty for a 1500.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hottttt.

Kinda embarrassing to Colorado/Canyon, but owns the Ford 3.0 Powerstroke, especially in 4x4 configuration. 

I bet the Chevy real world #s will beat 29 highway. 

Edited by newdude

Why is there a 4mpg difference between the 2wd and 4wd in the highway? The 4wd will have a little extra weight with a transfer case and front diff, but I can’t imagine that causing a big difference in fuel mileage. 

4wd will be a little higher in height as well, that kills MPG. 

Per the specs on the Sierra SLT the height of the 4wd is 75.40” and the 2wd is 75.35. The 4wd trucks are no longer taller than 2wd trucks like they were years ago. That’s why I and wondering what is causing the big difference between the mileage between the two.

The difference is the way the EPA test the 2 and 4 wheel drive trucks. The extra weight of the 4 wheel drive puts those trucks in a different class, so they are tested under higher loads than he 2 wheel drive models, per a TFL video.

• Like 1

God help you if that engine needs work 😳

Looks really complicated!

I wonder what towing mpg is?  Gotta be fairly decent.  If money wasnt an Issue id totally get it over the 6.2.  It is a really really attractive option.

The problem with these upgrades is you may as well just get the 2500HD 6.6 duramax for the real deal, and probably for less cost,  if the concern is wanting max towing power.

Reminds me of the 1500HD.  Just a strange segment that doesnt fill the gap well...but looking back with hindsight I totally.wish I bought the 1500HD with a 6.0!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

God help you if that engine needs work 😳

Looks really complicated!

I wonder what towing mpg is?  Gotta be fairly decent.  If money wasnt an Issue id totally get it over the 6.2.  It is a really really attractive option.

The problem with these upgrades is you may as well just get the 2500HD 6.6 duramax for the real deal, and probably for less cost,  if the concern is wanting max towing power.

Reminds me of the 1500HD.  Just a strange segment that doesnt fill the gap well...but looking back with hindsight I totally.wish I bought the 1500HD with a 6.0!

From what I’ve read this is supposed to be the same cost as the 6.2 option. I was about to pull the trigger on a 6.2 but this new option really has me reconsidering now.

2 hours ago, jgisonfire said:

The difference is the way the EPA test the 2 and 4 wheel drive trucks. The extra weight of the 4 wheel drive puts those trucks in a different class, so they are tested under higher loads than he 2 wheel drive models, per a TFL video.

Now that makes sense to why there would be such a large gap.

I humbly stand corrected.  Thanks for the info. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry Folks!  GM blew it out of the F'N water with this PIG!  80K units this will be selling yearly in 2years!  I am already getting ready to plop down on 1!  LOVE IT

Yeah..and the 2500.00 upcharge!  Forget the 6.2L this baby is the CHIT!

Edited by mookdoc6

the redesigned dodge is supposed to have better numbers all around

143 HP less than the 6.2... that one hurts my pride a bit. Same torque numbers though. Basically, the MPG increase is the only attractive selling point for this motor.. I can't wait to drive one to see how it feels.. maybe my next truck. 

• Like 1