What Rated Trucks for Towing

jmrec100

I'm confused about what trucks are good for towing.  Is there a BASIC summary of whether a 1/2, 3/4 1 ton etc is good for towing as to what limit is the GVWR of each rated truck. I know there are other factors to consider. I'm looking for just a basic starting point if there is such a thing.

I want to tow around either a TT or 5th wheel between 26 to 30 ft. Of course different weight ratings. Example what is the maximum tow for a 3/4 ton. Ideally, get more truck than needed.  Should I start looking at a 3/4 ton and then a 1 ton? What is the max that a 1/2 ton should even be considered.  I'm looking to actually live in my RV full time for a year and maybe much longer. Being semi retired, I want some time off from a land based stick and stone structure and explore this great country. I'd like to buy used. What years and models should I avoid for towing? I don't want this to be a bad mouth GM or Chevy trucks. I'm asking for a reliable truck or even a SUV . I'm taking my 3 small dogs with. Long story, she is divorcing to find herself or some bleep. And I will not abandoned these dogs we have had for the last 10 plus years as she will do. So.... I want time away, and just some time exploring. Any help of truck to choose would be fantastic.

Edited by jmrec100

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to buy new or used?

There are towing guides published every year, so you can find the max tow ratings available by searching for the year you're looking for that way.

Living in a 5th wheel you're betting off jumping right to a one ton in my opinion.  You're going to have it weighed down much more than someone going on a camping trip and you'll run out of payload much faster than you'll get to the tow ratings.

Used, I would look for as new as you can afford.  The older you go the lower you can safely tow behind it.