2014 Sierra Hard shift in 2nd gear

I only bring this up, cause i could not find any other discussion about a similar problem.

Only had the truck 2 weeks, and it's in the shop.

Very hard shift/thump when shifting into 2nd gear. Only happens when everything is all warmed up. Stop and go traffic you REALLY notice it. The entire truck will lurch very harshly, and with windows down you can hear a harsh noise from the back.

Dealer is telling me (and excuse me if i have this wrong) that a plate on the 2nd gear has to much of a gap. It's a manufacture defect, and they have to talk to GM, since the truck only has 1000 miles on it.... Waiting on GM to talk back to my dealer.

So I get to ride around in a "loner" Buick....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just turned 1k miles on my truck. I heard and felt this sound as well this past weekend. Not sure if it was going into 2nd or not but we were about 2 miles from the house at a speed of approx 45-50 mph, I let my foot off the accelerator and heard/felt a loud clunk noise from the rear end. It was enough that my wife immediately looked at me and said "what was that"?

It has not done it since Saturday. And in my 1k miles, it has only done it once. Was your truck doing it enough you could reproduce it for the dealership? I'm afraid if I took it in, they would tell me they could not reproduce the issue.

Also, do you have the 5.3 or the 6.2 engine model?

Let me know how the repairs goes. Thanks for sharing. Good info.

I have just turned 1k miles on my truck. I heard and felt this sound as well this past weekend. Not sure if it was going into 2nd or not but we were about 2 miles from the house at a speed of approx 45-50 mph, I let my foot off the accelerator and heard/felt a loud clunk noise from the rear end. It was enough that my wife immediately looked at me and said "what was that"?

It has not done it since Saturday. And in my 1k miles, it has only done it once. Was your truck doing it enough you could reproduce it for the dealership? I'm afraid if I took it in, they would tell me they could not reproduce the issue.

Also, do you have the 5.3 or the 6.2 engine model?

Let me know how the repairs goes. Thanks for sharing. Good info.

5.3 Texas Edition

it only happens for me when I start moving from a dead stop, and only after everything is warmed up. Transmission temp in the 170's if i recall.

I was able to drive to my dealer one morning, and it was reproducible.

The very first time it happened, it was very slight, and much like your wife, my reactions was... what was that? But it didn't happen again right away. I was in stop and go traffic. But over the 2nd week of ownership, and more stop and go traffic, it became very predictable/worse.

I experienced this for the first time this past week. I'm around 15,000 miles. It just happened twice and I know I've ridden in older body styles that had the same problem so I really didn't think too much of it.

I experienced this for the first time this past week. I'm around 15,000 miles. It just happened twice and I know I've ridden in older body styles that had the same problem so I really didn't think too much of it.

My old 99 Sierra had some interesting transmission surges, like when coming to a stop, it would do an aggressive downshift. Or the occasional harsh shift from 1st to 2nd, but nothing like this issue in the 2014. Best way I can think of describing it, It is dumping the clutch in a hard shift on a manual.

when accelerating from a stop, a soft acceleration gentle take off, you would feel a very slight "bump" this bump would become more and more harsh depending on your speed from 1st to 2nd.

update.

GM has told the dealer to pull the transmission, open it , and inspect for internal damage.

dealer told me, "sorry it is taking so long we didn't have the new special tools needed to do this, and gat to get them. No one has had to pull a transmission yet on these things."

I am not happy at all about this.

just got off the phone with the dealer.....

after they took the transmission out and opened it, they found that the "front pump assembly/cover" inside the transmission was not torqued down, and the gasket has ripped, causing the hard shift (so we hope)...

This is a brand new truck, with only 1000 miles on it... hearing this makes me angry.

after they took the transmission out and opened it, they found that the "front pump assembly/cover" inside the transmission was not torqued down, and the gasket has ripped, causing the hard shift (so we hope)...

This is a brand new truck, with only 1000 miles on it... hearing this makes me angry.

Ask......no, demand a NEW transmission, no telling what else is lurking inside.

Ask......no, demand a NEW transmission, no telling what else is lurking inside.

He can ask or demand anything he wants, but GM is under no legal obligation to give him a new transmission. As a matter of fact, if GM chose to not repair his transmission, they can even put in a higher mileage rebuild and still satisfy their warranty obligation.

He can ask or demand anything he wants, but GM is under no legal obligation to give him a new transmission. As a matter of fact, if GM chose to not repair his transmission, they can even put in a higher mileage rebuild and still satisfy their warranty obligation.

as long as GM and the dealer do the right thing, and will honor their warranty, I will be satisfied.

So, are you saying the warranty is nothing but a scrap of paper? And where would they find a high mileage used 2014 tranny?

Archived