Hey guys, I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 5.3 v8 and lately it’s been vibrating a lot in the cab going 70mph and above. It has some decent tires on balanced and rotated recently and it only helped a bit but still does it pretty bad. AND what I’m most worried about is when I’m coming close to a complete stop as the transmission downshifts there’s a pretty bad jerk from like 2nd to 1st gear. I also noticed it slips in that same gear change when driving and I don’t know why but only when I turn left it always slips or jerks when it does that gear change as well. Don’t know what to do with this truck anymore. Any input about this?

9 hours ago, Mauricio said:

Hey guys, I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 5.3 v8 and lately it’s been vibrating a lot in the cab going 70mph and above. It has some decent tires on balanced and rotated recently and it only helped a bit but still does it pretty bad. AND what I’m most worried about is when I’m coming close to a complete stop as the transmission downshifts there’s a pretty bad jerk from like 2nd to 1st gear. I also noticed it slips in that same gear change when driving and I don’t know why but only when I turn left it always slips or jerks when it does that gear change as well. Don’t know what to do with this truck anymore. Any input about this?

Unfortunately, that's normal. The transmission has to be retuned to take care of that issue.

10 hours ago, Mauricio said:

Maybe your torque convertor failing? Mileage on truck?

28 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Maybe your torque convertor failing? Mileage on truck?

It has 77,000 miles 

49 minutes ago, steelerdude15 said:

Unfortunately, that's normal. The transmission has to be retuned to take care of that issue.

I have been reading everywhere that apparently that’s normal even if they’re brand new off the lot..

26 minutes ago, Mauricio said:

It has 77,000 miles 

I have been reading everywhere that apparently that’s normal even if they’re brand new off the lot..

I have had no vibration since new, shifts have been overall good (up and down) for 44000 miles now.

Our 16 Tahoe developed a "vibration/slipping" around 60000 miles and had to have the TC replaced. No issues since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

I have had no vibration since new, shifts have been overall good (up and down) for 44000 miles now.

Our 16 Tahoe developed a "vibration/slipping" around 60000 miles and had to have the TC replaced. No issues since.

Thanks for the input Jim, to check the TC is there a procedure or certain test to do on it or would I have to take it to the dealer or a shop to do a diagnostic? 

• Like 1

Just now, Mauricio said:

Thanks for the input Jim, to check the TC is there a procedure or certain test to do on it or would I have to take it to the dealer or a shop to do a diagnostic? 

I know the dealers have the ability to engage/disengage it while driving the truck with their equipment. When they do this, the TC will shudder when engaged, causing the vibration

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

I know the dealers have the ability to engage/disengage it while driving the truck with their equipment. When they do this, the TC will shudder when engaged, causing the vibration

Awesome Jim thanks, I’ll have to take it in forsure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steelerdude15 said:

Yup. My truck does it too. It shifts as smooth as can be third through sixth though.

Yes exactly like it shifts good no matter what but it’s those low gears or gear that it jerks a bit coming to a stop or it tends to slip at times 

My 2018 does the same.  I finally got Chevy to do the fluid flush.  First stealership refused, said they don't just do TSB's because I want it done.  They supposedly checked everythi8ng out (kept the truck over night) and said it didn't need it.  never mind GM admitted to putting the wrong fluid in them at the factory.

Shortly after, I developed a weird harmonic that would come and go about every 20 seconds when cruising down the highway.  Went to another dealer and they did the fluid flush and it fixed that issue, but it's still clunky in the lower gears, and when downshifting from 2nd to first, just like yours.  Sometimes, when driving along at slower speeds (40-ish MPH or less) and I let off the gas, then give it gas again it thunks hard, like there's slack and it spins and then grabs.  It's more like there is slack in the x-fer case or the rear end than anything.

The truck has never been smooth at highway speed.  If I get up near 80, it shakes so bad it feels like I'm losing control.  Tire balance has not fixed it.  All I hear is "that's normal."  Uh huh.

Not happy, and definitely not happy with Chevy either.  At 26,000 miles on the truck, last year, it failed its first inspection because the front brake pads were not contacting the rotor across their full width and they wore a 1 inch groove in the middle of the rotors.  Chevy refused to do anything about it because the rotors "had rust on them."  Well, D'UH, the rotors rusted because the pads were not contacting them.  Had to pay out of pocket for new rotors and pads at 26,000 miles.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EDL said:

My 2018 does the same.  I finally got Chevy to do the fluid flush.  First stealership refused, said they don't just do TSB's because I want it done.  They supposedly checked everythi8ng out (kept the truck over night) and said it didn't need it.  never mind GM admitted to putting the wrong fluid in them at the factory.

Shortly after, I developed a weird harmonic that would come and go about every 20 seconds when cruising down the highway.  Went to another dealer and they did the fluid flush and it fixed that issue, but it's still clunky in the lower gears, and when downshifting from 2nd to first, just like yours.  Sometimes, when driving along at slower speeds (40-ish MPH or less) and I let off the gas, then give it gas again it thunks hard, like there's slack and it spins and then grabs.  It's more like there is slack in the x-fer case or the rear end than anything.

The truck has never been smooth at highway speed.  If I get up near 80, it shakes so bad it feels like I'm losing control.  Tire balance has not fixed it.  All I hear is "that's normal."  Uh huh.

Not happy, and definitely not happy with Chevy either.  At 26,000 miles on the truck, last year, it failed its first inspection because the front brake pads were not contacting the rotor across their full width and they wore a 1 inch groove in the middle of the rotors.  Chevy refused to do anything about it because the rotors "had rust on them."  Well, D'UH, the rotors rusted because the pads were not contacting them.  Had to pay out of pocket for new rotors and pads at 26,000 miles.

Damm man sorry to hear that it sucks having to deal with stuff like this and the dealerships saying “everything is normal” when clearly it’s not. I’ll have to check my rotors as well maybe that could be causing my vibration because I know when you have warped rotors at highway speeds that can cause some vibration. 

No, the vibrations I have are definitely not rotor related.  Nothing changed in that respect after putting the new ones on.  It feels exactly like out of balance tires, but that's not it either. 

I read over in one of the other threads that some are putting clamps either in front of or behind the rear axle to tie the leaf springs together and that has worked for several folks to eliminate most of the vibration and shaking.  I might try that as the clamps are cheap enough.  Also, they are saying the nuts on the u-bolts holding the leaf springs on seem to be quite loose (40-ish ft-lbs) and that tightening them has helped as well.

The thing is, the vibrations aren't just in the rear, it's in the front too, the steering wheel vibrates along with it.  I dunno.  I seriously thought about just trading it in and going back to the Dodge (I've had three Rams since 1995 and all have been great trucks).  We're on our second Jeep since 2014 and both have been great.  The problem is, there are hardly any trucks on the lots because of this chip shortage and the prices have gone through the roof.  To get a Ram with the same equipment I have on my LTZ it would be $71,000+.  That's just ridiculous for a 1/2 ton pickup.  Heck, I paid $35,300 in 2004 for brand new Ram 2500 diesel 4x4.  I know, 17 years ago, but good lord vehicle prices have gone up a staggering amount since then (but my pay hasn't!).

12 minutes ago, EDL said:

No, the vibrations I have are definitely not rotor related.  Nothing changed in that respect after putting the new ones on.  It feels exactly like out of balance tires, but that's not it either. 

I read over in one of the other threads that some are putting clamps either in front of or behind the rear axle to tie the leaf springs together and that has worked for several folks to eliminate most of the vibration and shaking.  I might try that as the clamps are cheap enough.  Also, they are saying the nuts on the u-bolts holding the leaf springs on seem to be quite loose (40-ish ft-lbs) and that tightening them has helped as well.

The thing is, the vibrations aren't just in the rear, it's in the front too, the steering wheel vibrates along with it.  I dunno.  I seriously thought about just trading it in and going back to the Dodge (I've had three Rams since 1995 and all have been great trucks).  We're on our second Jeep since 2014 and both have been great.  The problem is, there are hardly any trucks on the lots because of this chip shortage and the prices have gone through the roof.  To get a Ram with the same equipment I have on my LTZ it would be $71,000+.  That's just ridiculous for a 1/2 ton pickup.  Heck, I paid $35,300 in 2004 for brand new Ram 2500 diesel 4x4.  I know, 17 years ago, but good lord vehicle prices have gone up a staggering amount since then (but my pay hasn't!).

Yeah see I’m guessing it has to do with all the shitty suspension these trucks have. I’ll have to tighten up all those bolts then and i already have some rough country shocks and struts on the way for the front because I feel those pretty bouncy and the strut springs tend to squeak pretty loud on speed bumps. The jerking and transmission slipping hasn’t happened anymore which is weird at all the past days but today literally only on left turns the transmission slips in 2nd gear. A neighbor with a similar gmc told me his did the same thing when the transmission heated up to operating temp and he just took it in a for a transmission fluid change and that cured the problem. 

Also he claimed that he had the same vibrations as well. He said he put all new shocks and struts, new tires and did a 4 wheel alignment and that took care of his vibration problem. 

@EDL I know you mentioned that the tires have been balanced. But was it just a regular balance or was it road force balanced? I know on mine when I still had the stock tires, they had only been balanced. I had a tech at a dealership say that the 32psi was too low and suggested running them at 35-36psi. That helped but didn't eliminate the problems. When I was at a different dealership and was having an alignment done, I asked them about having a road force balance done which they did. 3 of the tires were fine but 1 had runout??? which they corrected. They mentioned that it was best for this tire to also be mounted on the rear. This pretty much cured all vibrations I had.

I know that there can be a variety of reasons for the vibration but the fix on mine was the road force balancing and running the tires at 35-36psi. I have since had Falken Wildpeaks installed and they have been just fine since beginning. I bought them from Discount Tire and pretty sure they road force balance during the installation.

I forgot to mention, I run the Wildpeaks at 40-41psi. They are 275/60R20.

Edited by mikeyk101