Radio Reception Issues

Okay, I have been following this thread for a while. I do not usually listen to fm since I hate all the commercials. But I decided to try it for the last three or four days. It works very well in HD or regular fm in both of my trucks. I do live in the DFW area but some of the stations are 30 miles or more from me. I was just wondering if some of you that are having problems may live out in a rural area where Xm may not pick up well. Just curious.

I'm in the suburbs or a rural setting but regardless of where we live the problem is that all other vehicles pick up the local and long distance stations and always have. The 2014 will only pick up very strong signals if you are close enough to them. When I travel with it on any FM station it goes out quickly and I hit seek to the next strong station and it doesn't take long for that one to fade out and in a short distance of 30 miles to a doctor appointment I had to hit seek 5 times! I live in Mingo Junction, Oh near Steubenville, Ohio and 20 miles north of Wheeling , WV where my favorite station is and have no problem listening to it in any vehicle but my 2014 GM. Pittsburg, Pa. stations always come in here but not on my 2014!!! If you live close to your favorite station , you may not notice a problem until you travel.

well, lilke I said I rarely listen to FM due to all the commercials. But is does work well for me in the DFW area. When I travel its always XM and has been for years. Thanks for the info.

I found Jennifer's email address and sent the following letter:

Dear Jennifer:

I have been told that you monitor the GM truck forum but as of yet we have not seen a response from you on the radio issue. I purchased a new 2014 GMC Sierra Z-71 from 1Cochran of Robinson, Pa. While I have made other trips to the dealer for waves and dents in my truck and a recall on the seat back cables; I also have made four trips for poor radio reception. They have taken antenna apart and cleaned paint off to bare metal for ground and tightened up the antenna. They have looked for an adjustment for weak fm staion but to no avail. They have tried shutting down the HD on each station and finally they even had me come up and take another 2014 home to see if it had better reception in my area. Nothing has worked and they have determined it is a problem with all 2014's. I am very tired of sitting in a waiting room for hours over and over. Also the trip is an hour each way being a two hour trip and with me being a diabetic and sitting there for hours, I have had to eat out at restaurants each time. This is getting expensive and my time is valuable as well.. I have found on the forum that this is not an isolated incident. I am 62 years old and never have I had a vehicle that could not pick up my favorite local station which is only 20 miles away and has a very strong signal strength. We would be interested to know if GM is aware of the problem and would like to know what are they going to do about it? I switched from a loaded 2012 Dodge Ram for this truck and now wondering if I made a bad choice. I do know that there is a lemon law in Pa that takes affect once you have been back for the same problem 3 times. I have put a lot of time and money into my truck since it left the factory. I had the dealer paint silver racing stripes on hood and tailgate and clear coated as well. I had spray in bedliner done. I had chrome step boards installed. I also have had dual exhaust installed. I take much pride in my vehicles and put much effort and time in them. When I purchase a vehicle I look for quality, performance, and style. I believe I have found a quality vehicle but very surprised to find radio reception problems in our day of electronics and knowledge. Do all the radios have this problem? I do not have a dvd player in mine but do have a cd player and a back up camera. If the dvd radio does not have the same problem then please upgrade me. I would have been willing to pay the difference but now that I have so many hours of time, miles on my truck, costs of meals, and price of gas, I think I am owed something for my inconvenience. My phone number is 740-275-2342 if needed. My email is [email protected]

Thank you,

Steven L. Roush

Hopefully we will get somewhere with this now

If you contact a lemon law attorney. You may be able to get all your money back, even for upgrades.

I plan on using lemon law also, the FM radio reception is a huge disappointment.

I hope all the problem trucks are going to the dealer so they can get a case string going for the FM. Enough dealer visits and write ups will move GM. Not emails to Jen...

On the trucks that went to dealer, did they go into the dash an assure antenna etc... all hooked up properly?

The lemon laws only apply to safety related issues. I have gotten money back 2 times one for windows that kept short circuiting in the rain (can't get out in an emergency) and once for a gas tank that kept leaking fumes in to the passenger compartment. Don't think they will consider the radio an issue. These internet reps are like the close door button in an elevator, they don't really do anything they just give people the illusion something is going to happen

• Like 2

I have been to the dealer, the problem is most dealers are located near large population centers and the radio works fine sitting on the dealers lot or driving a mile or so around the dealer. This problem occurs when I leave the immediate area of the radio station(for me about 20 miles). I have duplicated routes with different vehicles and the FM receiver in the Sierra starts to lose signal many miles before other vehicles or the 2010 Silverado I traded in. For the amount of money GM is charging for there trucks in believe that they should investigate our concerns and come up with a solution, I will continue to work with the service department at my dealership(they have been helpful and I have no complaint with them)still waiting to here from GM.

The lemon laws only apply to safety related issues. I have gotten money back 2 times one for windows that kept short circuiting in the rain (can't get out in an emergency) and once for a gas tank that kept leaking fumes in to the passenger compartment. Don't think they will consider the radio an issue. These internet reps are like the close door button in an elevator, they don't really do anything they just give people the illusion something is going to happen

Pa Lemon Law: Under the law, the manufacturer must, at no cost to the purchaser, repair or correct any defect which substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle and which occurs within one year after delivery, or 12,000 miles of use, or the term of the manufacturers express warranty, whichever comes first. If the defect cannot be repaired after 3 attempts, or if the vehicle is out of service for a total of 30 calendar days for repair, generally, you may be eligible for a replacement vehicle or the refund of the purchase price, less a limited allowance for use.

Lemon Law is not just for saftey related issues. Friend of mine, got full refund for a leaky sliding rear window. There are also cash settlements and you keep vehicle.

Edited by steig

So your "friend" got a full refund because all three of the new rear window assemblies also leaked? Well I guess we should add leaky windows to the list to watch out for.

The dealership could not stop his rear window from leaking.

There is a rock station I listen to locally if I'm not on XM, I've noticed their signal not being as strong as it once was, reason I say this is we ride dirt bikes on a small farm about 20 miles from the signal tower, this past summer I could barely get a signal when the summers before it was never an issue, this was with my 07 2500HD. Today it's no different with my 14 1500. I do know this same station streams online, with them doing that maybe they are reducing their FM signal to save on costs??? Just a thought.

There is a rock station I listen to locally if I'm not on XM, I've noticed their signal not being as strong as it once was, reason I say this is we ride dirt bikes on a small farm about 20 miles from the signal tower, this past summer I could barely get a signal when the summers before it was never an issue, this was with my 07 2500HD. Today it's no different with my 14 1500. I do know this same station streams online, with them doing that maybe they are reducing their FM signal to save on costs??? Just a thought.

that is not the case for me anyway as I can get the stations in clearly with my other vehicles in my area but not in my 2014 GM Sierra