Frame rusted out

H

I answer to all this. No I didn't undercoat. I will in the future with another vehicle. We do have fluid film places around. And I do take the vehicles to the car wash to have the undersides washed.

Thing is

14 yr old tahoe with 160,000 miles on it. Rust but frame still in good shape.

11 yr old Silverado with 84,000 miles on it. Rusted through frame.

Both run on same roads, kept in same garage, washed and cared for similarly.

And like someone else, I've had to have the spring shackles replaced... the tahoe still the same ones.

Right now a frame restoration is being done at Arrow Automotive. They'll take the box off and hopefully get it up to snuff to use or sell.

How much are they charging you to fix the frame ? it would be good to know incase it happens to some of us in the future ?

• 5 months later...

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe 0 rust its 4x4 and still runs and drives like brand new i use under coating or just reg. spray paint and it is fine i also have a 1981 chevy step side with no rust what so ever conpleatly original exept motor what better truck than chevy or gmc

No there is not. Anything you sprayed on top of the rust would flake off or rust off. You would need to sand down and get all the rust off of there first. And even then there are no guarantees.

If the undercarriage is surface rusted, is there anything you can spray overtop to stop it from further rusting more? Like spray paint or rhino lining or something similar? Or are you required to sand it all down to bare metal before spraying over top?

Chassis Saver or POR15.

• 1 year later...

I recently received news that the frame of my 2007 Avalanche is rusted apart and beyond repair. I purchased this truck when it was 2 years old. I have only put 50,000 miles on it. It has mostly sat in the drive way and been babied (no one was allowed to tow with it etc). Rarely driven even in winter. To make matters worse this is the only vehicle my 48 year old husband can get in and out of to go to chemo (We can lift him in here and then he slides out). 

I am absolutely sick about this. I love this truck and definitely cant afford to repair or replace it at this time. I contacted GM and was told its out of warranty. I get that, and do expect some rust but not to this extent. After doing research online it seems as if there are a ton of us with this issue. I'm thinking either they purchased bad steel or didn't coat it correctly. They of course are not going to admit fault because of the cost of repairs but how is that fair to us owners! 

I know a friend who had a similar problem and Dodge replaced their frame. I also found that Toyota has fixed theirs. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get an attorney to file a class action suit and force GM to fix our trucks. Here is the link regarding the toyota problem

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/toyota-agrees-to-pay-for-premature-rust-on-truck-frames-111416.html

If anyone knows how to do this please contact me 574-806-7081

"rusted apart and beyond repair"

That is a very loose term. 

Any repair shop that sells cars will tell you that its not fixable, regardless of how bad the rust is. They say this to get your truck for practically free as a low value trade in, PLUS they get to sell you another vehicle. What exactly is the problem with the frame? If you hit the frame with a hammer, does it punch a hole it it? Did the truck break in half? Or is it just rusty?

Unless the truck is literally falling apart, you can easily fix it. 

Applying a rust inhibitor to the frame will immediately stop all the rust. 

Don't throw away your truck just because one repair shop said it was junk. Get a second opinion, and then go to a metal fabricator or welding shop and ask them to try a repair. $250 worth of welding can go a long way. 

001-rust-fixes.jpg

41d77b8c-a37b-11e6-815e-11c196ac9a02r.jpg

20150515_000407.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

nissan-navara-owners-request-recall-campaign-for-chassis-rust-issue-115247-7.jpg

RustSeal-02.jpg

krud-kutter-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-mr326-64_1000.jpg

• 4 months later...

2004 GMC Sierra Z71 Reg Cab- Rusted out frame less than 100k miles. Mechanic thinks parking outside all these years on gravel the main cause. I don't recall my other GM vehicles over the years with such bad rust problems.  I have many thoughts.  Perhaps washing the underbody more often and parking on a tarp.  Is the steel cheaper these days?  Should buy another GM Truck?  Did I get my 10yrs of ownshership of money's worth? I am out about tapped out on this truck.  Feel a little ignorant if this could have been prevented.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Our Gmc 2004 Sierra has less than 100,000 miles and has rusted to peices. It is like new on the inside and has been taken care of so well! I am interested in a class action as well. This was my husband's retirement truck and it has not been abused. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 12:31 PM, RobinSue said:

Our Gmc 2004 Sierra has less than 100,000 miles and has rusted to peices. It is like new on the inside and has been taken care of so well! I am interested in a class action as well. This was my husband's retirement truck and it has not been abused. 

So how long is GM supposed to build a truck to last?  It's seventeen years old.  How often have you washed the undercarriage since you had it?  Did you replace any rusted parts along the way?