Is a lift worth it?

Alright so I'm going to pick up my 2014 6.2 liter Silverado 1500 Mid-November. I was thinking about putting a 6 inch lift on, 18 inch black rims, and bigger tires for this winter.

How much would all of this cost and would you think it's worth it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 6K all together depending on what you get specifically. You are the one that has to make the decision if it is worth it, we all have opinions but in the end it is what is best for your application and use. Good luck.

You're looking at minimum 5k+ to do it right with professional help. Less if you half-ass the labor or parts. Like stated above, only you know if the Juice is worth the squeeze.

For me, spending that much on the lift, wheels, etc isn't worth it. I'll be much happier with just a level lift, some paint matched bumpers and the extra cash safely in my savings account.

I don't like driving a truck lifted that much. It feels like it sways and would roll in a heartbeat. I also don't see the practical reason for a lift that high either. So, for me, I wouldn't even consider a lift like that.

It's not worth it for just looks. It will only be worth it if you actually go off-road. Especially when you talk about lifting an IFS front end. But, it's your money, this is just my opinion. At least your plan is to have good sidewall instead of having what I would consider low profile tires on a lifted truck. Maybe you can find a place nearby that can finance all of that like a place in my town. That way you won't get a major hit of paying around $5K after paying for a new truck.

Agreed. Lift is a toy. Not something you should finance.

A lift is definitely worth it if it's the look you want. I like the look, but I don't care for the way they drive or handle. And for the kinds of sticky situations I get in once in a blue moon, a lift hurts more than it helps. You should consider whether mileage matters to you, if you need to use a garage or parking structure, driveway with low brances, etc.

I don't like driving a truck lifted that much. It feels like it sways and would roll in a heartbeat. I also don't see the practical reason for a lift that high either. So, for me, I wouldn't even consider a lift like that.

That said, I think everyone should spend lots of money on whatever they want. It keeps the economy moving. And I like it when the economy is moving fast upward. :ughdance::cheers:

Spend your money on what you want. A descent lift system with rims and tires probably at min 3 grand but closer to 5. Does it look cool sure, but Im young 31, and really have to need or want to do this to a truck. It will kill MPG and performance, everybody I know that has them the lift system eats through tires, and suspension parts quicker.

Also more than likely you will never get your investment back on a trade or resell, actually will probably hurt both of those. Theres a market out there for this stuff, but its very limited.

I always say its just for looks unless you plan on modifying the gearing/engine to increase the power/tq you WILL lose by adding such a big lift and tires.

As mentioned - only you can decide whether or not its "worth it" - but I mean if I was going to blow $5000 on my truck I'd go w/ a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks and just level the truck, get a set of stainless headers w/ hi-flo cats, a dual side exit catback, and a set of crappy winter rims wrapped in snow tires to keep your stockers looking good and giving you a really capable vehicle for the winter months.....

I always say its just for looks unless you plan on modifying the gearing/engine to increase the power/tq you WILL lose by adding such a big lift and tires.

As mentioned - only you can decide whether or not its "worth it" - but I mean if I was going to blow $5000 on my truck I'd go w/ a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks and just level the truck, get a set of stainless headers w/ hi-flo cats, a dual side exit catback, and a set of crappy winter rims wrapped in snow tires to keep your stockers looking good and giving you a really capable vehicle for the winter months.....

X2

And unless u NEED a lifted vehicle, they are never ever worth it. IMHO, having owned one lifted truck, I will never own another.

Archived