How-To: HID Install 2014/2015 Sierra K2 (Video).

fondupot

First off, I'd like to say I am in no way sponsored by any companies or brands represented in this write up. It is simply a 3rd party review and how to.

Below are a couple of videos I wanted to share in here on how to install an HID kit for a 2014/2015 Sierra (1500's, it may work on some 2015 2500HD's, but YMMV). I am using a kit made by The Retrofit Source. They specially made this kit with K2 1500 Sierra's in mind.

It comes complete with:

-Choice of 35watt or 55watt ballasts, high quality Morimoto pieces. I am using 35watt units.

-Choice of 3000k, 4500k, 5000k, 6000k HID bulbs (also include alcohol wipes to clean bulbs before installation, nice touch)

--- I used a 4500K bulb, which is classified as "warm white" (slightly white-blue at startup, but after about 15-20 seconds becomes the "warm white" color)

-Relay Harness w/ built in fuse. This harness has nice ring connectors to connect to battery + and -

-Canbus harness (error code eliminator)

-Igniter harness x2

-ballasts to bulb harness w/ rubber grommet to seal headlight dust covers. x2

Overall, i thought the kit was very well constructed. High quality braided wiring, all shrink wrapped, potted electronics, waterproof connectors. All A+ quality.

I got this kit for $170 off their website, but if you make an account, and load the kit into your cart, then leave it a few days, they will send you a coupon code for 10% off. Not a bad deal IMHO.

Link to the Sellers website

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Link to the specific kit

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-systems/morimoto-elite-hid-system-sierra-low-beam.html?carDisplay=2014+GMC+Sierra++%28Projectors%29&preselect=4.1.3-HARN-RELAY-9012%2CXB-BALLAST-35%2C5.3.3-XB3-9012-45

It does require you drill a hole in the dust covers to get the wires to pass through, but it is not hard and can be done with a cordless drill and a 7/8" hole bit.

First video is a review of the kit by itself:

This next video is the actual installation of the kit

And this final video is how to properly aim your headlights (made a few months ago before I had HID's but the concept is the same)

Enjoy. Hopefully these videos help some folks out!

FINAL VERDICT

-Good upgrade in light output using stock projectors. Not very hard to install, but I will still rate it 3.5/5 on a scale of difficulty. 5 being hardest. Just because it requires some work with electronics, which not everyone is comfortable doing.

I am very happy with the end result. There is a lot more clean white light out on the road and I can see a lot better on dark roads. Properly aimed, I should not be blinding any other drivers.

Post below with questions.

• 1 year later...

I installed this kit on my 2015 Sierra today. I ordered the 35Watt ballasts with 55K bulbs (The most popular kit). After watching the video above, it only took about 3 hours to install. The results are literally night and day. Excellent visibility from dusk to full darkness with a wide field of view in low beam. High beam can light a runway for passenger jet landings---For deserted roads only. Properly adjusted, these lights should not blind other drivers or attract the cops. This is the best improvement I've made on this truck so far. Very pleased with results and it's completely reversible. Quality kit. Well worth the money.

A few notes on the installation video:

The entire air intake doesn't need to be removed. You can do the job easily with just removing the air filter box.

Use a step drill bit on the dust caps. Stop at 15/16th and the wires go through easily and the rubber grommets fit great..

The guy in the video says the the caps cost $5 a pair. The real price is 25 bucks each (yikes!) so don't screw them up.

This model specific kit costs $170 OTD but I got on the websites chat line and asked the guy for a coupon code that brought the price down to $153.

GET ONE. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

• 5 months later...

What am I missing here....Attempting to hook the kit up for my 2014 Silverado from lightwerks I got the Silverado Spec kit and maybe my brain just isn't firing on all cylinders today but I can't figure out if this is an am extra connection I can get rid of or not? As of right now I've got it going:

Stock output-> capacitor link-> hd relay-> ballast-> igniter-> bulb

Haven't fired it up yet cuz I wanna be sure of this connection in the picture first. Also, the capacitor link won't plug into the stock output with the connector attached. Had to remove it and just plug in each blade of the connector.post-165009-0-10318100-1499718590_thumb.jpg

post-165009-0-10318100-1499718590_thumb.jpg

Archived