2016 5.3L AFM, problems fixed?

jlilnc14

Unfortunately, I just changed my oil and found that it was 2.5 quarts low. I change all of my own oil and I have never had this happen on my truck (62,000 miles now). This is the first oil change after my 5.3L threw a P0307 code. After checking the code and finding that it was a cylinder 7 misfire, I replaced the plug and the wire. What I found when I pulled the plug blew my mind...a cracked insulator on the plug electrode. What I didn't know was that this was a common problem with Chevy 5.3L motors that have AFM but was "supposed" to be fixed after 2011. I can assure you that it isn't fixed and now I am thinking about trading or selling and going Toyota so that this doesn't happen again. The real problem is that I am just outside the powertrain warranty so the $5,000 cost to rebuild the engine would be on me.

Update: 10/17/18

Called GM corporate and was given a case. The "Senior Service Representative" called me and discussed the issue. By the time I got off the phone, I realized that this was a losing battle.  Despite the fact that I had the GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-008M that called out my engine code specifically, she repeatedly told me that my VIN didn't pull up that bulletin. So I asked her, can you tell me my engine code based on my VIN, she couldn't. I told her that my engine code was listed in the bulletin and she just repeated that it didn't cover my VIN. When I asked her if she wanted a copy of the picture of my spark plug, she told me that she wouldn't know what she was looking at. In the end, I had to go see the Service Manager at my dealer and he laid out the scenarios for me. Since I reported the problem before the end of my powertrain warranty, GM might help pay for the repair but I have to get the dealer to do an oil consumption study. That study has to show that I burn 1 qt. every 750 miles or GM probably won't do anything. Since I am now out of my warranty, GM might cover 30% of the repair. Buyer beware...

Plug #7 after being replaced (10,000 miles on it)

20181013_170641.thumb.jpg.ff9d32789615baa5c174525eba70fa5c.jpg

Update 10/30/18

Called GM corporate back and the Senior Advisor informed me that indeed, the TSB listed above did apply to my vehicle. She made it clear that GM wanted to help me but that I would have to coordinate with the Service Manager at my dealership. So, I went to talk with him and he was very blunt about the situation. Basically, since my truck was out of warranty (despite me trying to get help while it was still in warranty) they might provide 30% on the repairs but I would have to do an oil consumption study first. If it wasn't burning one quart in 750 miles, GM would do nothing. The bottom line was that I was just screwed, however, the Service Manager told me that he would push to get me Customer Loyalty Cash and he did. They gave me $2,500 to trade and buy a new truck. I did just that and they sold my problem in 3 days because it was very clean, had brand new Michelins on it and it runs good despite the oil/rings/afm problem. Buyer beware!

Edited by Rad64

• 2 months later...

Just to add some more input to the topic. Bought a 2012  Silverado 1500 5.3l. I always drive proabbaly too easy on my trucks, at 33k mikes codes went off and truck was undriveable. Towed to dealer and codes read #7 cylinder misfiring. They replaced piston and rings and added the AFM oil deflector piece to divert the oil splash. It was all done under warranty. Dealer said probably since I drive so easy being in 4 cyl mode more often caused it to show up so early. I immediately bought a range AFM disabler and has been worth it other than it occasional have to pull and plug it back in or throws a code once or twice a year but eventually clears on its own.  I now have 94k miles no issues since and thinking about trading in before something goes wrong in high mileage. Really Hate to buy another 5.3 with AFM but the gas price of a 6.0 2500hd for me would add 100$ month based on city driving and mileage. Just not interested in a ford or dodge. Fact is all brands are plagued with issues of their own, father in law is die hard dodge and had issues as well.  Neighbor has ford and had some issues with timing chain. Miss my old 5.7l 95’ Silverado.  We had a 6.0 2008 that wouldn’t die after hauling bob cats and loaded down trailers all day for lawn and tree company. Tempting to pay the premium for 6.0 since 2019 is the last year for it before full redesign, but I just wouldn’t use it capability and gas mileage might hurt pretty bad. Just my story. 

• 7 months later...

The AFM is still a problem.  My dealership finally said yesterday we cannot fix it, so you need to trade it off.  Jerks bad going v8 to v4 and back.  Going downhill at at 1500 rpm it will rev to 3500 rpm and freewheel.  Parking lot starts are dangerous, push on the throttle and it then revs up and lurches backwards 3 or 4 feet.  2017 Silverado Nightmare.

• 1 month later...

My 2014 Sierra crew cab 5.3L with 86,000 miles has just started to burn oil bigtime. I called GM who told me to take it to a dealer.  I called a dealer who told me he was instructed to tell me that 3 quarts in 6,000 miles was normal. Really GM?

After 25 yrs driving a gmc truck I am now considering changing. I dont care about the oil. I get it changed and they top off between changes for free, but what is the long term effect on the engine?

I have read about the aftermarket fixes but GM needs to own this disaster and make it right. American manufacturers need to gain back some pride and do the right thing. My 86 year old dad just bought his second Nissan truck. I may be next.

Edited by Tom LeBlanc

I don't know I bought a beater ride last year to drive to work. 2009 4x4 Tahoe Hybrid with the 6.0 w/AFM it had 195k when I bough it last year now has 215k and uses about a quart every 1000 miles. Runs like a top though so not complaining I just keep a 5 quart container in the back and pour some in when I notice it getting low. As stated here several times in this thread the oil usage issue might be contributed to by the people that actually follow the Oil Life Indicator down to or past 0. I never go over 5k no matter what the Oil Life says. The previous owner of this Tahoe obviously did not follow the 5k regimen LOL as It has a lot of sludge buildup in the engine. I changed out the drivers side valve cover (heavy sludge buildup inside) to see if that would help but it had already been changed and made very little difference. I am guessing that it has some partially stuck piston oil rings....... just a high mileage beater but probably an average example of what to expect with a GM 10 yr old High mileage engine. IMG_6765.jpg.454737a5359a6d3a57582034bedccede.jpg         

• 4 months later...

I have a 2014 sierra with 90k on a 5.3 in 2020. It has had an oil pump replaced at 70k under warranty. Before it was replaced it made a racket noise which hasnt quieted too much. It used to go through a quart every 2k miles or so. After 20k on new oil pump, it looks to get about 4k miles before a quart is lost. It's ok. I'm not impressed. Stupid AFM.

• 5 months later...

Here is my story, 2013 gmc sierra SLT crew cab 5.3 purchased in 2016 with 60k miles . One month after purchase check engine light came on, cylinder #1 misfire...didnt think anything of it but replaced spark plug which temporarily fixed the issue, one month later #1 misfire again...took the truck to dealer and they acted like they knew what the problem was, did an oil consumption test and found it was using 1qt in 2000 miles. Engine rebuild under warranty , I also purchased an additional warranty which stipulated they change the oil of which I demanded the oil be changed every 3k miles which they agreed to ...35k miles later cylinder 1 misfire,  now the fun begins because the additional warranty should have kicked in and paid for the rebuild...NOT, the company refused to pay because they said I shouldnt have been sold the warranty in the first place!  During all of this the dealer changed hands with a new owner,  I ended up saying screw it and took a big loss selling the truck back to the new owner and buying a toyota instead .

the tech who worked on my truck let it out that this issue repeats itself, my truck already had the "fixed" valve covers which obviously didnt fix the issue...had I known about disabling the fuel management I would have done it day one....i even considered getting a bigger crate engine and dropping it in the truck 

after going through this nightmare I find out a coworker was going through this scenerio with a 2014 silverado 5.3, they sold it and bought a 2015(btw the dealer sold that truck with the issue 3 days later)... guess what, same damn issue! dealer bought that truck back and talked them into a 2018 on lease, so far the 2018 hasnt popped this issue up  but they have decided to return the 2018 when the lease is up 

• 10 months later...