• 3 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 4:20 PM, Amir said:

I have a 2016 yukon Denali, I hate the way it rides, stiff and feel every little crack on the road, all I did just unplugged the suspensions and ride so much better, it actually solved my vibration problem too. Too sad GM doesn’t have an update for MRC module yet, if u don’t like the message on your dash just buy resistors from eBay or amazon and put them the wires. Good to go for life, whenever your shocks goes bad next time buy regular shocks. 

I have a 2015 and was looking to grab a few resistors online. Do you know what size resistors are needed? 50w, 100w, etc... Thanks!

• 2 months later...

My 2015 Tahoe ltz just hit 65k miles and front magnetic shocks where gone and it’s been very bouncy for the past 10k miles got them replaced today and rides like a completely different vehicle idk if they got improved or something but ride is great luckily I got them at les Schwab and they provide lifetime warranty! 

• 1 month later...

2015 Suburban LTZ. I have the exact same issue at 63K miles!! Both went at the same time?? Seems unusual that both would go bad at the same time? Have no extended warranty so dealer will only take of the price of diagnostic trip off if I choose to have this done there? 
Are there after market struts that will work with the magna ride system?? 
Very frustrating to pay this much for a so called Cadillac Ride vehicle and can only get less than 65K miles out of the ride system!!

• 6 months later...

My 2015 Suburban LTZ had same issue as all are describing, about the same time.  Same price quotes from the dealership as well.  I went with the resistor bypass option, and installed (rather, my local mechanic guy) install standard Monroe shocks on it.  I have had a few 'check suspension' errors that have popped up from time to time, maybe once every 6 months.  Not sure why, always went away after a restart of the engine. 

I feel like now (at 142k miles) that my current shocks are bouncy, so having them checked out.  I do see a lot of cheaper aftermarket magnetic shocks out there for way less (like $450 for both front struts), not sure if I'll go that route or stick with the bypass and go with Bilstiens (if needed).

And to add: replaced/repaired rear liftgate motor and repaired AC unit as well!  What's next??

Edited by hilliap

• 1 month later...

Just bought a 2016 Tahoe LTZ with the magna set-up and they were leaking badly and terrible ride. This is at 135K miles so I expected some issues. Did some research along with a parts dealer helping me and bought a replacement kit from Parts Geek for $264. This included normal front struts/shocks and rear normal shocks AND the needed resistors. It rides like a new vehicle now. Did have one issue which was the wrong resistor was sent thus leaving the suspension error on . Called the company (Unity AP) direct and talked to a tech guy who said they had noted that the kit contained 6ohm resistors and should have contained 3ohm and 6 ohm because the front requires less resistance then the back or the other way around- can't remember which. They are sending me the replacements free of charge.

Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

I must have jinxed myself with the ‘what next’ comment: at 145,000 miles, on the way back from FL, engine lost power and was running rough/misfiring.  Was able to limp home from south of Cincinnati.  Turned out that I needed new springs, lifters, valves, etc. $3,500 by a local mechanic!  Ugh. Did I mention a new transmission at the 135,000 mark?  I’m close to dumping this, even though it feels like I’ve replaced everything major.  Looking into the Expedition, but who knows!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hilliap said:

I must have jinxed myself with the ‘what next’ comment: at 145,000 miles, on the way back from FL, engine lost power and was running rough/misfiring.  Was able to limp home from south of Cincinnati.  Turned out that I needed new springs, lifters, valves, etc. $3,500 by a local mechanic!  Ugh. Did I mention a new transmission at the 135,000 mark?  I’m close to dumping this, even though it feels like I’ve replaced everything major.  Looking into the Expedition, but who knows!

When failures are posted what comes to my mind is the level of maintenance. Mainly fluid changes.

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

When failures are posted what comes to my mind is the level of maintenance. Mainly fluid changes.

Agree. I think I was fairly consistent with the oil changes, between 5000 to 7000 miles using syn/dex oil each time. Transmission, for sure changed at the 45k miles, but need to check if it was done at the 90k. As for the other issues....well, addressed issues as soon as they were recognized. 

• 1 month later...

since this seems to be the place for the magnetic ride failures.  same boat.  2015 LTZ with front struts leaking, and the ride is getting worse.   Has anyone gotten regular front replacement struts with the resistor bypass, but kept the rear air ride shocks??  is the bypass system that is all or nothing?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Joining the conversation

fast foward it's 2021. I bought a 2017 Chevy suburban also with Magnetic ride control. The ride is the worst, feel every bump rides like a school bus. Took it to the dealer they said the right front shock is leaking and needs replacement but well see what GM will assist. The car has 70,000mi

and is out of warranty. Obviously to me a defective  part. Guess what, GM will contribute 10% or about $84. What a laugh.

i argued and argued making my case. You see, i still have my 03 Suburban,  never replaced such an integral part (the shocks)

with now almost 300,000.

i bought this car from out of town 

My advice test drive and try it before you buy it. I would not have bought this car

school bus riding SUV. 
more advice, step away from GM.

they will not stand by their products

this situation is not maintenance, its premature integral part failure and you will pay for it.

Its their design

oh, and once that shock is replaced, how long till one of the other 3 go?

RECALL RECALL RECALL    GM

demand that GM recalls these defective 

shocks 

TD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, THD said:

Joining the conversation

fast foward it's 2021. I bought a 2017 Chevy suburban also with Magnetic ride control. The ride is the worst, feel every bump rides like a school bus. Took it to the dealer they said the right front shock is leaking and needs replacement but well see what GM will assist. The car has 70,000mi

and is out of warranty. Obviously to me a defective  part. Guess what, GM will contribute 10% or about $84. What a laugh.

i argued and argued making my case. You see, i still have my 03 Suburban,  never replaced such an integral part (the shocks)

with now almost 300,000.

i bought this car from out of town 

My advice test drive and try it before you buy it. I would not have bought this car

school bus riding SUV. 
more advice, step away from GM.

they will not stand by their products

this situation is not maintenance, its premature integral part failure and you will pay for it.

Its their design

oh, and once that shock is replaced, how long till one of the other 3 go?

RECALL RECALL RECALL    GM

demand that GM recalls these defective 

shocks 

TD

I posted above about getting the extended warranty due to the Mag ride.  Well it paid for it's self this past April.  Our AC stopped working and took it in for that.  Turns out our condenser was bad and in the process of fixing that they noticed our right front shock was leaking and replaced that.  Total cost was $2,400.  Warranty covered it and I was only out the $100 deductible. 

To me getting the extended warranty is pretty much a must on these new vehicles.  That is if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time.

My advice test drive and try it before you buy it. 

That should be your first rule whether it is new or used when buying a car.

GM has been more than fair on repairs over the years, and I will continue to stay with them.

The approach on getting help is 99.9% part of the battle, make as many friends at different levels as you can, and you will likely be treated with much more respect, and more money for you the consumer.

Get rid of it, move on, then complain on brand X's forum about how much you hate your new car/truck.

• Like 1