K&N air intake with GMC eAssist?

Hello everyone. I hope I'm in the right place as this is my first post!

Today I purchased a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT Premium Plus with the eAssist package, and it arrives next week. I went back and forth between that and the All Terrain and landed on the Premium Plus with eAssist. As soon as I got home this evening I started accessory shopping. As I'm about to purchase a K&N 77 cold air intake, I see that it says for all 5.3L models except the hybrid. From what I understand now (which the sales rep at the dealer didn't inform me of while purchasing), the eAssist package counts as the hybrid.

Does anyone know why I can't use a cold air intake with this model? 

• 11 months later...

Bump an old thread. Anyone fit an intake on an eAssist model or relocated the coolant reservoir yet? On the eAssist has the coolant reservoir in just behind the fans, in the front of the engine bay. This blocks the intake tube from being fitted over the TB. Looks like the coolant tank would just need to be relocated to the empty front driver side corner area and all will fit.

2 hours ago, 3tspapat said:

Bump an old thread. Anyone fit an intake on an eAssist model or relocated the coolant reservoir yet? On the eAssist has the coolant reservoir in just behind the fans, in the front of the engine bay. This blocks the intake tube from being fitted over the TB. Looks like the coolant tank would just need to be relocated to the empty front driver side corner area and all will fit.

Been nearly a year and no one has confirmed this on any of my threads on any forum -  still waiting to find out if this is possible - not looking too good :/

Edited by tp503

I've already got the plumbing for relocating the tank figured out. When I get around to doing it I will post up. I can see why not much research has been done on this since people with hybrids typically don't do mods!

1 hour ago, 3tspapat said:

I've already got the plumbing for relocating the tank figured out. When I get around to doing it I will post up. I can see why not much research has been done on this since people with hybrids typically don't do mods!

Yes, please post pics when you're done!

Happy Vote Day!

Update: Decided not to do the coolant relocate. Too much work in case I want to go back to stock for some reason. Installed purchased a silicon 90 degree reducer (4" to 3.5"). Took some measurements and the elbow will clear the coolant reservoir with 1/2" to spare. Then will connect that back up to the straight intake pipe to the airbox. Unless you have a CC you will need to plumb the intake pipe for the PCV connections. Will post pics once I get the parts and lay it all out.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are still interested, I got some parts to make an intake system work. Purchased a silicon reducing 90 degree elbow (4.0" to 3.5") to clear the coolant overflow tank and to fit the throttle body to a 4" Aluminium intake pipe, which connects the system back down to to the stock air box, or aftermarket air box. Depending on the aftermarket system used, you may or may not need something to hold the MAF (they sell that anyway). I'm using the GM performance intake system. So basically, only using the intake box and the first set of the ribbed pipe connection. Since I don't have ports to connect the vent lines, I will be using Elite Engineering's clean side separator, which basically deletes the port upstream of the TB. 

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

9 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

For those who are still interested, I got some parts to make an intake system work. Purchased a silicon reducing 90 degree elbow (4.0" to 3.5") to clear the coolant overflow tank and to fit the throttle body to a 4" Aluminium intake pipe, which connects the system back down to to the stock air box, or aftermarket air box. Depending on the aftermarket system used, you may or may not need something to hold the MAF (they sell that anyway). I'm using the GM performance intake system. So basically, only using the intake box and the first set of the ribbed pipe connection. Since I don't have ports to connect the vent lines, I will be using Elite Engineering's clean side separator, which basically deletes the port upstream of the TB. 

Thanks for the update. Would love to see final pictures. I'm curious if the intake plays nice with the feature of the eAssist that turns off the engine when at a stop light.

Hang tight. Just waiting for the CSS. Hopefully this weekend will have everything installed. 

I don't foresee any issues with the set up. The stock intake is the same on eAssist and non-eAssist models and all it does is bring metered air to the engine. You will just get to hear that whoosh and the air sucking that occurs at start up every time you stop.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:40 PM, 3tspapat said:

IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9888.jpg

Where did you get the new elbow? I ordered the cold air inductions kit. Emailed them before buying and they said it would fit. Well guess what it doesnt. Just emailed them and asked if they had instructions on how to relocate the reservoir or a different elbow. My worry with a different elbow is the line up for their aluminum pipe. Might have to cut it but not sure the angle will work. I really dont want to have to send it back and start over. Lol thanks in advance!

I got the new elbow from siliconintakes.com. Still needed a little bit of trimming as the clearance from the TB to the reservoir needs to be around 6.5" to work. Also note that silicone hoses may collapse if the stretch is too long. you can prevent this by adding a small section of pipe inside the middle of the hose and a clamp on the outside to keep it in place.

You can also use a rubber reducing elbow, which won't collapse. Found one at intakehoses.com that would work with a little bit of trimming. 

Yesterday I decided to trim the stock intake pipe and the silicon elbow to make it work instead of waiting to get a bung welded on for the CCS hose barb. looks like a very cool old school pirate gun or something. Going to install it this week. Will load up some pictures then.

hose.jpg

Forgot to mention. Instead of getting a bung welded onto the intake pipe, they do sell quick connect barbs (for turbos, etc.). Or you can just do this hack at home, basically sandwiching the hose/pipe. This is what I'm going to do for the other set that I'm building for a friend. Make sure to use some sealant and thread locker. 

hose barb.JPG

Edited by 3tspapat
udpate info