K&N air intake with GMC eAssist?

Set up is great. Now running with a GMPP Borla exhaust and catch can. I only drive in L7 around town and L8 on the highway to disable start/stop and AFM so it behaves like any other truck now (Most current Range Module will only disable start/stop but not AFM on the eAssist 8 Speed).

With the start/stop, not much of a difference in noise or anything from the exhaust firing back up. It's only loud when I fire it up first thing in the morning. Once warm I can't hear anything in the cab with the start/stop even with the windows down. I will take some vids with start/stop engaged.

I really think there should be an eAssist subforum or something. Just so little support for these models. For instance some have had problems finding lifts that work with the eAssist (does not make any sense), air intakes (we know that works and the car is able to handle changes in air volume and temp so it's a fitment issue) and tunes. I think it's about a demand thing more than anything else. There are folks that have tuned hybrid vehicles with success. Black Bear says they can tune it, but I'd rather find someone local to do it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, 3tspapat said:

Set up is great. Now running with a GMPP Borla exhaust and catch can. I only drive in L7 around town and L8 on the highway to disable start/stop and AFM so it behaves like any other truck now (Most current Range Module will only disable start/stop but not AFM on the eAssist 8 Speed).

With the start/stop, not much of a difference in noise or anything from the exhaust firing back up. It's only loud when I fire it up first thing in the morning. Once warm I can't hear anything in the cab with the start/stop even with the windows down. I will take some vids with start/stop engaged.

I really think there should be an eAssist subforum or something. Just so little support for these models. For instance some have had problems finding lifts that work with the eAssist (does not make any sense), air intakes (we know that works and the car is able to handle changes in air volume and temp so it's a fitment issue) and tunes. I think it's about a demand thing more than anything else. There are folks that have tuned hybrid vehicles with success. Black Bear says they can tune it, but I'd rather find someone local to do it.

I agree, there really should be an eAssist subforum. I also have a 2017 Silverado 1500 with eAssist and am eyeing a new intake to improve airflow (and it looks cleaner). Got a flowmaster super 40 dual exhaust (debating on muffler delete), AFM disabler from Range Technology (For me it has disabled both the auto-stop feature and V4 mode), front and back heavy-duty bumpers with a front level kit. I love that the eassist adds a little some power when I tow.

Does your truck drone a lot with the Borla exhaust in V4 mode? i have that issue with flowmaster and that is the reason i got the Range disabler.

I have the GMPP Borla with the flapper in it so it doesn't drone in V4. I did clamp it open awhile ago and it did chop pretty hard in V4. I'm sure with the 40 series, would drone a ton. 

I finally did get my hands on a Range and with the 8 speed, it didn't work very smoothly at all so I ended up uninstalling it and letting a friend try it out. Now i'm just driving in "D" and letting it do its thing. 

• 10 months later...

I dropped my truck off today to have an intake installed (reading everything here made me decide to have someone else do it). He was very confident he could get it installed but just called me to say he can't make it fit as the entrance to the manifold is 1/2 smaller. Did you all use a reducing elbow to make the intake fit?

On 11/6/2018 at 1:29 PM, 3tspapat said:

Happy Vote Day!

Update: Decided not to do the coolant relocate. Too much work in case I want to go back to stock for some reason. Installed purchased a silicon 90 degree reducer (4" to 3.5"). Took some measurements and the elbow will clear the coolant reservoir with 1/2" to spare. Then will connect that back up to the straight intake pipe to the airbox. Unless you have a CC you will need to plumb the intake pipe for the PCV connections. Will post pics once I get the parts and lay it all out.

I dropped my truck off today to have an intake installed (reading everything here made me decide to have someone else do it). He was very confident he could get it installed but just called me to say he can't make it fit as the entrance to the manifold is 1/2 smaller. Where did you buy the silicon 90 degree reducer (4" to 3.5")?

19 minutes ago, tp503 said:

I dropped my truck off today to have an intake installed (reading everything here made me decide to have someone else do it). He was very confident he could get it installed but just called me to say he can't make it fit as the entrance to the manifold is 1/2 smaller. Where did you buy the silicon 90 degree reducer (4" to 3.5")?

Which intake did you get? Looks like you got one for a 6.2L and have the 5.3L? It should come with a coupler to make it fit either Throttle Bodies.

I got mine elbow at http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

looks sketchy but shipped on time. Also, if you are worried about the silicone elbow collapsing, you may want to get thicker ply one, throw some hose clamps around it, or use a rubber elbow. I haven't had issues with it collapsing at WOT so I left it as is.

42 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

Which intake did you get? Looks like you got one for a 6.2L and have the 5.3L? It should come with a coupler to make it fit either Throttle Bodies.

I got mine elbow at http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

looks sketchy but shipped on time. Also, if you are worried about the silicone elbow collapsing, you may want to get thicker ply one, throw some hose clamps around it, or use a rubber elbow. I haven't had issues with it collapsing at WOT so I left it as is.

The mechanic picked out this one https://volant.com/collections/2018-gmc-sierra-1500-5-3l-v8/products/closed-box-air-intake-15553 because he thought it would reduce the chance of coolant reservoir getting in the way. Before he bought it, I confirmed it was for the 5.3. He says the coolant reservoir isn't even the problem, he can get past it. It's the 1/2" diameter difference. Thanks for the website, I'll check it out.

@tp503 nice intake! good to know it will fit 5.3 eAssist. Just get a reducing coupler from the local autoparts store and it should fit fine! Looking at the instruction manual, it's already in there. 

image.thumb.png.2528730c488626e82ea181e3a59f8a95.png

• 1 month later...

Wanted to update you all... mechanic had ordered the wrong model, probably for the 6.2 instead of the 5.3. When the correct one arrived, it had the coupler. He had to move the coolant reservoir but got it to work pretty easily. He did it differently than I've seen others on here do it so wanted to show another option.

IMG_20210112_181944.jpg

Nice! I was wondering what happened to you.

Glad he got it to work with minimal work to the reservoir. Just keep an eye on the reservoir because the intake will move/vibrate with the engine and looks like it may rub on the reservoir. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, 3tspapat said:

@tp503 nice intake! good to know it will fit 5.3 eAssist. Just get a reducing coupler from the local autoparts store and it should fit fine! Looking at the instruction manual, it's already in there. 

image.thumb.png.2528730c488626e82ea181e3a59f8a95.png

Do need cut some of it or not all